How Do I Get into Law emforcement @ 40yrs old - Page 2

How Do I Get into Law emforcement @ 40yrs old

This is a discussion on How Do I Get into Law emforcement @ 40yrs old within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please don't give up...keep on trying. When I was in the academy, there was a guy who outperform 90% of the younger students, hahahaha including ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do I Get into Law emforcement @ 40yrs old

Please don't give up...keep on trying.
    When I was in the academy, there was a guy who outperform 90% of the younger students, hahahaha including me. He was 50 years young at the time. We have since become good friend. He is still at it, I might add, very good at his new career......

Cheers....
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    Military & Police Firearms Instructor
    Professional Student of Learning......

You have a much harder road than most. You must be totally committed to this because it seems that you have not led a healthy lifestyle. Are you sure about this? It's not just about losing weight, it's a complete lifestyle change for you. You are going to be required to fight, engage in ground fighting, etc.

The reason I ask is because I'm older than you but I recently graduated from my police academy, and this was after 23 years in the USAF. I have to admit, it was the hardest thing I've ever done, probably due to age. Even so, I'm able to out run, out fight, out shoot, and out drive some of the kids half my age. And that's only because I've kept in shape due to being off and on the fitness program for most of my career. I'm 43, about to turn 44 this month. It can be done.

I don't want to discourage you, but if you're only now just starting to try to get in shape, it's going to be very difficult for you. Especially if you happen to get accepted and encounter some instructors who might try their best to eliminate you from the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    You have a much harder road than most. You must be totally committed to this because it seems that you have not led a healthy lifestyle. Are you sure about this? It's not just about losing weight, it's a complete lifestyle change for you. You are going to be required to fight, engage in ground fighting, etc.

The reason I ask is because I'm older than you but I recently graduated from my police academy, and this was after 23 years in the USAF. I have to admit, it was the hardest thing I've ever done, probably due to age. Even so, I'm able to out run, out fight, out shoot, and out drive some of the kids half my age. And that's only because I've kept in shape due to being off and on the fitness program for most of my career. I'm 43, about to turn 44 this month. It can be done.

I don't want to discourage you, but if you're only now just starting to try to get in shape, it's going to be very difficult for you. Especially if you happen to get accepted and encounter some instructors who might try their best to eliminate you from the academy.
    I have not excerised in a long time. but all my jobs have been phyiscal jobs,meaning i have not had a office job ..
    i was a welder then a journeymen iron worker.
    but yes I'm Sure i want this!

I have NOT had a healthy lifestyle you are correct.

I'am starting today to workout and lose the weight.
    I understand what will be required and I KNOW i will be ridiculed for my age and size and i will be pushed.
    Also Losing the weight is justs the beginning for me.I want to make my family proud ,serve my country and become the person i should have already been.
    What a waste and a shame for what i have done thinking my way (growing up) was the right way and i knew it all.

I Welcome the Change , it won't be easy or given to me.They will have to drag me out if i get in beccause i won't QUIT!

Any advice on a daily diet or what can help me shed pounds.
    I'm heading to reuciter to let them tell me what they think after they measure me.
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

Pick your plan and stick with it. In addition to eating the right foods, eating smaller portions helps. Drink water 10-15 minutes prior to eating to help feel more full. For the first couple of weeks you will be hungry but you will gradually get used to eating less and then won't miss the large portions. For exercies, work in some interval running, or even walking initially. You may feel sore the first month or two but then will begin to feel the benefits. I started a modest program of running and working out beginning four months before I was due to start at the academy and was in reasonable shape when I got there. Despite being one of the older guys in the class, I could easily keep up with most of the "kids." Your attitude sounds good and that could be your most important asset. Give it all you've got since there is nothing to lose. If you don't try, you certainly won't do it. If you try and fail, at least you know you tried and can look for other alternatives. If you try and succeed, you will have achieved your goal.

Administrator
    If I were you, I'd get my butt into shape, brush up on my spanish and start looking south. Florida is well known for not looking the other way and recognizing that older rookies bring a lot to the table the kid right out of school can't. Some of the larger agencies are still actively recruiting.
    With that said, there are a lot of people just like yourself that all of a sudden like the security in employment that LE offers. A lot of people competing for not a lot of jobs. Remember that lay offs in LE are very common these days too.

I know more than a few older rookies that are on their second careers. But, each one of them presented themselves well, and are not worn out over weight has beens. In fact, all of them are in excellent shape. Its even more important to be the older you get. Thinking you can wrestle and fight with the punks being out of shape and over 40... you're fooling yourself and will be a danger to yourself and partners. Getting yourself in shape will give you a new lease on life in a number of ways.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Great line I heard in the academy:
    'Cops keep getting older, the bad guys stay the same age.'

If it's something you want, go for it, and go all out.
    But expect PT to be hell for someone your size, and expect NO breaks to be given, matter of fact, expect the rest of your class to NOT cut you any slack as they are doing push-ups, waiting for you to re-group with the formation during a run.

Ask yourself if you have the right attitude and the discipline to be professional 24/7. Lives will depend on your ability to present yourself.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

iu2baiw,

I'm in a similar boat as you.

I turned 39 two weeks ago and stand 6'1" @ 172 lbs. (this week) with a BIA tested BF% range consistently between 6.5 and 8% depending on my daily hydration levels. I have means to test myself daily at home for as much using professional grade equipment.
    I have never been in need to lose weight and have been fit, athletically inclined, and active literally my entire life going back to single digits.

I've been turned away flatly at every turn...because of my chronological age.

I'm very much in shape with a metabolic age of twelve (!).
    College kids commonly mistake me for being one of them and most folks state to me they guessed my age to be mid to late twenties.
    Commonly folks are stunned when I state my actual age.

Sorry to throw rain on your parade but at the federal level forget about it.
    The age cut off everywhere is 37. Exception being having had prior military service, which I do not because back in '88 when we were at peace I was refused by the Marines on grounds of medical (I have no depth perception and I've got a detectable heart murmur). Today they likely would take me no problem...more meat for the grinder.

State and local police are more of same. Too 'old'.
    The only group that showed any interest and did not have a cutoff was (note past tense) a county sherriff group adjacent to my own county as related to deputy reserves.
    But after getting jazzed about that I then found out that due to state and county budget cuts they are taking no new recruits either. I was ready to _volunteer_!

It is what it is, and has been. :|

As to the physical requirements standards you posted I could knock all of those out easily. Daily I do pushups in multiple sets throughout the day. Every other day on average I do same with my 6 yr. old daughter riding on my back as I do sets of 10 and 15 to failure. She weighs 48.3. lbs.

In clothing I'm not hulk/bodybuilder huge, just athletic fit...and durable.
    Why agencies and departments actively discriminate by age without taking into mind individual applicant context is a mystery to me...and IMHO a loss for them.

- Janq would prefer not to be a general police as in a cruiser but be amongst an active assignment based Type A task/position
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by DblTap View Post
    Great line I heard in the academy:
    'Cops keep getting older, the bad guys stay the same age.'

If it's something you want, go for it, and go all out.
    But expect PT to be hell for someone your size, and expect NO breaks to be given, matter of fact, expect the rest of your class to NOT cut you any slack as they are doing push-ups, waiting for you to re-group with the formation during a run.

Ask yourself if you have the right attitude and the discipline to be professional 24/7. Lives will depend on your ability to present yourself.
    Exactly right. They won't cut you any slack and may even go the opposite way in that they will be harder on you because they want you to quit.

Yea I expect to be the first one they scream at.
    i'm sure they will push buttons i didn't even know i had. lol
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links