How Do I Get into Law emforcement @ 40yrs old

This is a discussion on How Do I Get into Law emforcement @ 40yrs old within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this might not be right place and the question might seem odd but here it goes I'm Unemployed right now in michgian and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know this might not be right place and the question might seem odd but here it goes

I'm Unemployed right now in michgian and for me to become a LEO in michigan i would need a Associates degree or 37 college credits min..
    I have 15 credits and not in criminal justice.
    so i reaching out to see if anyone knows a state/city that hires and trains without a degree..or what i can do...

I'm looking at these areas
    LEO
    Sheriff
    Bailiff
    Turn key
    corrections (maybe)
    Border Patrol
    TSA

I have no prior Law/Miltary experierence.I would move out of state for something that could turn into a career.

If you know anything let me know.
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

Don't Give Up!

Try all over Michigan, and every other state that you can get to. Just focus on getting your foot in the door. In WA state, there is Public Safety testing - Apply with Public Safety Agencies Online and you can test with almost every department in the state at one location and your scores will be sent to them. As far as the other states, I am not sure, but apply everywhere. If you have to, go back to school and get more college credits....but the main thing...DONT GIVE UP!!!

I'm 37, prior military, college credits...and havent been able to get in yet....maybe its because of a little misdemeanor evasion charge from the CHP, but that aint gonna stop me from trying...

Maybe a constables?

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    Maybe a constables?
    Isn't that a LEO?
    At this point i'm justs trying to get anything in Law enforcement..
    I was thinking Police academy would be done after i get hired,can i get it done before i apply.???
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

In the famous words of Denny Crane and Allen try the US aux coast guard.

In California, there is an opportunity for you to go to a Police Academy before you are hired. Check out Palomar Community College District and go from there...

Apply to the Border Patrol, they're hiring all over. However, they do have an age limit so you want to hurry.

Also, the Army is taking people up to 42, I think. You could alway become an MP and then get a civilian LE job when your tour is up. Assuming you could hang through boot camp!
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Feel like moving to Leavenworth, KS? check out their PD website.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    The easiest way to learn about law enforcement is to rob a bank. You will learn all sorts of things.

Seriously, I am in my 50s. I have a friend who came back to visit from Florida. Used to be in IT. He went to school, applied and was accepted at a local police department as a patrol officer. It can be done. So don't let anyone tell you no. Just keep seeking.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Thank for all the replies,Alot of great advice.
    I have looked at a few sites and came across the Phyiscal tests which i'm going to focus on and i'll join my local gym and get a rountine worked out,going to use physical tests as my Goal (i will shoot for doing more then the minimum)

Pull-Ups (no time limit)
    8 minimum
    12 100%
    Sit-Ups (2 minutes)
    72 minimum
    85 100%
    Push-Ups (2 minutes)
    48 minimum
    60 100%
    Treadmill (1 minute)
    35 minimum
    41 100%
    Bend & Twist (1 minute)
    48 minimum
    60 100%
    Squat Thrust (1 minute)
    27 minimum
    35 100%
    Half Mile Run
    3:50 minimum
    3:00 100%
    Job Task Course
    2:00 minimum
    1:25 100%

I need to hit these first , I got some work to do.

Also will check Leavenworth, Kansas Police Department site and the police academy i think ,thats is going to costs for that one i bet..
    thanks again
    Keep Helping!~
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You're above the age limit for Border Patrol.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    You're above the age limit for Border Patrol.
    I wasn't sure about that one, I thought he might be. However, as I said, I'm almost positive the Army has raised their limit to 42. If the OP can meet the physical goals he listed, he should be able to make it through basic. At 40, he can still do 20 and retire at 60 with a decent pension and health care for the rest of his life. The money isn't so good to start but it's more than he's making now. Plus, even at 60, with that experience he should be able to find something in LE on the outside when he retires.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I wasn't sure about that one, I thought he might be. However, as I said, I'm almost positive the Army has raised their limit to 42. If the OP can meet the physical goals he listed, he should be able to make it through basic. At 40, he can still do 20 and retire at 60 with a decent pension and health care for the rest of his life. The money isn't so good to start but it's more than he's making now. Plus, even at 60, with that experience he should be able to find something in LE on the outside when he retires.

Yea i missed the age cut off for the Border Patrol.

Is the Army's limit at 42yrs old.
    Someone mentioned the Coast guard but age cut off i believe.I will call army recuiter to see age limit.
    Thanks

EDIT AGAIN::

Ok I'm going down to recuiter tommorrow will update with what i need to do..
    Last edited by iu2baiw; September 2nd, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Whatever you do, start getting in shape now. Don't wait for the first day of an academy. Older folks CAN keep up with younger folks, but older folks need more time to recover between workouts, so we can't realistically hope to work our way into shape during the time of attending an academy.

Harris County, Texas, Sheriff's Office, last I heard, had waived most restrictions in an effort to hire more folks to staff the jail. From jailer, to jail deputy, to street deputy, to other assignments, is attainable by someone of virtually any age.

Houston TX PD hires up to age 45, but does require 60 college hours or two years military. HPD does pay cadets while attending the academy.

Ok this is embrassing enough as it is but i'm thinking i'm 40 and i'm 41yrs old ..i don't know how i came up with that but this makes things worsts.
    I will fix the title ,sorry for looking like a fool..But i'm not giving up on this.Its on the border of impossible and POSSIBLE.

This is what is happening so far:
    Talked to recuiter and explained my age (right age 41yrs old) and he asked neck size and belly size..
    Neck 19"
    belly 57" ( i wear pants 48" belly over hangs)
    Height 6'4"

He said that if i could raise my neck to 21" that my belly measurement requirement would then be 47"

Starting Tommorrow going to my local gym (powerhouse gym) and getting started.
    I have p90X and i did it for a month before and it was a killer and i ended up not doing it anymore...but there was some rountines i hated and some i didn't mind.
    So i will start doing that but not as extreme as i did before.
    Fat shedder is what i going to do ..
    So me and the wife are getting a grocery lists together and im figuring out the workout..
    right After i talk to Recuiter , I will start.

I'm overweight yes i know..but i still think i can do this..
    M
    I turn 42yrs old "Feb 28,2010" I have till then to have everything done and signed by end of that day (i guess)

What do you guys think, This would be my job to workout and drop the weight.
    I really want this,Its like my lasts chance.
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links