Texas Leo's

Texas Leo's

This is a discussion on Texas Leo's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the new law enacted Sept 1, not requiring notification on stop or request, any problem with still doing it. I just go under the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Leo's

Texas Leo's

With the new law enacted Sept 1, not requiring notification on stop or request, any problem with still doing it. I just go under the assumption that if you run my plates and find out that I have CHL, it will/may increase your anxiety.

What say you?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Frankly, I don't care one way or the other.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

From what I understand the new law as,is if you do not have your CHL on you and unable to produce it on demand by an LEO they cannot suspend your license,I still believe you have a duty to inform that you have a CHL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    From what I understand the new law as,is if you do not have your CHL on you and unable to produce it on demand by an LEO they cannot suspend your license,I still believe you have a duty to inform that you have a CHL
    That is my understanding as well.

Personally I don't care if the law flat out says "You don't have to tell a LEO you are a CHL.", I'm still going to inform them. The last thing I want is a LEO who has pulled me over with the already present level of "who am I walking up on in this car" to be surprised by anything I do or say. I want him as calm as anyone else who would deal with me that day and for both of us to do our business and both walk away the way we started.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I will still prduce my CHL along with my DL any time I am pulled over. I do this for my self preservation, as well as the mind set of the LEO.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My CHL actually rests in front of my TDL in my wallet. If I get pulled over My CHL will be handed to the officer along with my TDL.

VIP Member
    from my standpoint as a LEO.....my computer return on tags or DLs doesn't tell me if someone is chl or not
    I'm not concerned with it especially now with the change
    I'm more concerned with non-chls involved in less than upstanding behavior that I come in contact with

that being said......you won't be hurt by still showing it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I will continue to inform. I will do it out of respect and professional courtesy to the current LEO's. I think the current LEO's will appreciate us being forthright. Anything I can do to make their job easier I will do.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

In Texas, I'm fine with LEO asking for ID, insurance, CHL, and nationality. These are all concerns here.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    An LEO should use due caution on ALL traffic stops and other investigative stops. It would seem to be good manners to inform an LEO if one is armed. Seems rather simple to me.

BTW, I am a Texas peace officer, and I was taught a long time ago that we should inform a fellow LEO any time we are armed when being detained. (This was well before Texas had a CHL system in place.) Good manners, and prevents surprises.

I don't know what the feds taught/teach their folks, but I remember an FBI agent that we had stopped on traffic, well before the CHL system existed in Texas, politely informing us that we was a federal agent, and armed, while keeping his hands on the top of the steering wheel.

FWIW, a CHL holder informing ME that he is licensed to carry, whether armed or not, makes things run smoother for both of us. I know that a CHL holder is most likely a "good guy" in a given situation, all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    I will still prduce my CHL along with my DL any time I am pulled over. I do this for my self preservation, as well as the mind set of the LEO.
    Thats how i am going to handle my situations.
    Jamie

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Remember, travelling in Texas allows you to carry a weapon in your vehicle also, which you should inform the LEO upon being stopped that you have one also (I don't have the CCP yet), but I travel with my weapon.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

It makes no sense to me not to provide your CHL with your DL when asked for ID...When the LEO runs your DL (not your plates) he will immedialty know that you have a CHL. I can see no value for not providing CHL to LEO's. If it makes their job easier and makes them more comfortable. If you don't provide CHL and then they find out you have one and MAY have a gun (whats this guy hiding) they will undoubtedly be more cautious re-approaching your vehicle.
    Its too easy to give it to them and let them drive the conversation.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

"... it will/may increase your anxiety."

Texas or elsewhere, it will not.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    It makes no sense to me not to provide your CHL with your DL when asked for ID...When the LEO runs your DL (not your plates) he will immedialty know that you have a CHL.
    It is my understanding that the computer will not pull up that information in Texas when running DL or plates. One Texas LEO has confirmed that on this subject.

On the other hand, if you are from Missouri, yoiu CHL status is stamped on your driver's license.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links