Need help finding federal law

This is a discussion on Need help finding federal law within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am working on a paper and am looking for the link to a federal law that makes it illegal to commit acts of violence ...

Thread: Need help finding federal law

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

Need help finding federal law

I am working on a paper and am looking for the link to a federal law that makes it illegal to commit acts of violence against military members and their family and also postal workers. If anyone could post this link I would appreciate it
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

I have never heard of this law. Is it real?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

18 u.s.c. 1114

18 USC (sec) 111 and 18 USC (sec) 1114

111. Assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers or employees
    (a) In General.— Whoever—
    (1) forcibly assaults, resists, opposes, impedes, intimidates, or interferes with any person designated in section 1114 of this title while engaged in or on account of the performance of official duties; or
    (2) forcibly assaults or intimidates any person who formerly served as a person designated in section 1114 on account of the performance of official duties during such person’s term of service,
    shall, where the acts in violation of this section constitute only simple assault, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, and where such acts involve physical contact with the victim of that assault or the intent to commit another felony, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both.
    (b) Enhanced Penalty.— Whoever, in the commission of any acts described in subsection (a), uses a deadly or dangerous weapon (including a weapon intended to cause death or danger but that fails to do so by reason of a defective component) or inflicts bodily injury, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both

1114. Protection of officers and employees of the United States
    Whoever kills or attempts to kill any officer or employee of the United States or of any agency in any branch of the United States Government (including any member of the uniformed services) while such officer or employee is engaged in or on account of the performance of official duties, or any person assisting such an officer or employee in the performance of such duties or on account of that assistance, shall be punished—
    (1) in the case of murder, as provided under section 1111;
    (2) in the case of manslaughter, as provided under section 1112; or
    (3) in the case of attempted murder or manslaughter, as provided in section 1113.

While not specificaly named as such in this sections, postal workers are apparently covered by this.

thank you for this post

And yes it is real under title 18 of the US code

VIP Member
    1114. Protection of officers and employees of the United States
    Whoever kills or attempts to kill any officer or employee of the United States or of any agency in any branch of the United States Government (including any member of the uniformed services) while such officer or employee is engaged in or on account of the performance of official duties, or any person assisting such an officer or employee in the performance of such duties or on account of that assistance, shall be punished—
    (1) in the case of murder, as provided under section 1111;
    (2) in the case of manslaughter, as provided under section 1112; or
    (3) in the case of attempted murder or manslaughter, as provided in section 1113.
    While it appears to cover employees past and present as well as military, I don't see anything that would cover family members.

Administrator
    Its only is true if the threat or action to harm is related to their job or the performance of their job.

For example; I get in a bar fight with an off duty FBI agent- does not apply
    I get in an altercation and kill, threaten to kill said agent or his family in attempt to affect the outcome of his work; it applies.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its only is true if the threat or action to harm is related to their job or the performance of their job.

For example; I get in a bar fight with an off duty FBI agent- does not apply
    I get in an altercation and kill, threaten to kill said agent or his family in attempt to affect the outcome of his work; it applies.

However, IMHO it goes well beyond affecting the outcome of work. I'd add "or because of his/her work (either something done or undone) or because of the nature of the work or what it represents.

It has to be "on account of the performance of official duties."

That same bar fight proceeded with a "You think you are bad because you are a (whatever federal position), well I'll show you bad" might just be enough.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links