Ataboy

Ataboy

This is a discussion on Ataboy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bristol County, Mass Bristol County correctional officer recognized for intervention in home invasion | SouthCoastToday.com Bristol County correctional officer recognized for intervention in home invasion ...

Thread: Ataboy

VIP Member

Ataboy

Bristol County, Mass

Bristol County correctional officer recognized for intervention in home invasion | SouthCoastToday.com

Bristol County correctional officer recognized for intervention in home invasion

September 09, 2009 12:00 AM

A correctional officer with the Bristol County Sheriff's Department has been recognized for his actions in stopping an attempted armed home invasion in New Bedford last year.

Kevin Coelho was recently awarded the 2009 National Medal of Honor from American Correctional Officer, a national organization that promotes the well being and safety of corrections professionals.

Coelho was selected over nominees from across the country as this year's top correctional officer, according to a press release from American Correctional Officer.

On Sept. 23, 2008, Coelho was driving on Belleville Avenue when he was stopped by a woman who told him a man had just broken into her home and tried to shoot her boyfriend.

Coelho exited his truck and stepped between two men while they were struggling with a gun in the doorway at 878 Belleville Ave.

Coelho disarmed the suspect, Stephen Makin of New Bedford, and grabbed the loaded weapon. Coelho then dragged the suspect outside the house and hip-tossed him to the ground, where he held him down with a knee to the back until police arrived.

"(Correctional Officer) Coelho clearly went above and beyond the call of duty by disregarding the potential danger to himself to save the life of another human being," Vito Dagnello, president of American Correctional Officer, said in a prepared statement.

Coelho and other recipients will receive their awards during a Sept. 18 banquet in Boston.

Brian Fraga
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

good story. going above and beyond
    getting the job done

Now that is a true hero!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

There is another thread about correctional officers, I hope that some there read this.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

RMS
    I am afraid our correctional officers fail to get the respect they deserve. Congrats to Kevin Coelho!

Good job
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That a good story and its good to hear that there are still people that will disregard their own safety to help a victim out.

Sponsored Links