Deputies Receive Medal of Valor - Page 2

Deputies Receive Medal of Valor

This is a discussion on Deputies Receive Medal of Valor within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; first of all i would like to say that I am glad everything worked out for the officers and I would like to congradulate them. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    first of all i would like to say that I am glad everything worked out for the officers and I would like to congradulate them. Without having been there or in the situtation I would argue that we cannot say weather or not they merit the medal. With that being said, I do have some food for thought. The whole time I was reading the article it seemed to me like they got lucky. I mean, imagine if they had missed and hit the hostage. We would be reading a very different article indeed. Just something to think about.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUEFLUSH21 View Post
    I mean, imagine if they had missed and hit the hostage. We would be reading a very different article indeed. Just something to think about.
    As we said in the USMC, valor or bravery is not the lack of fear. It's doing the right thing in the face of fear. Its doing what is required, when required, without hesitation or loss of control.

It comes from comes from knowing what you can do and doing what you know, well.

In today's litigious world, one of the risk to these LEOs was the risk of a miss and all its ramifications.

Not many men have the skill and the will to enter a hostage situation and take the shot -- to do what is required.

IMHO these two and many who don't get the recolonization they deserve define valor.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    As we said in the USMC, valor or bravery is not the lack of fear. It's doing the right thing in the face of fear. Its doing what is required, when required, without hesitation or loss of control.

It comes from comes from knowing what you can do and doing what you know, well.

In today's litigious world, one of the risk to these LEOs was the risk of a miss and all its ramifications.

Not many men have the skill and the will to enter a hostage situation and take the shot -- to do what is required.

IMHO these two and many who don't get the recolonization they deserve define valor.
    Well said, and for the other officers and soldiers seeing their comrades rewarded gives them a sense of pride and something to aspire to be.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

How about they just give them some Marksmen Badges,the average cop could not have made those shots without hitting the hostage,and I have witnessed many LEO qualify over the years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Congrats to the officers for thinking on their feet and saving that kid!
    [One Nation Under God]

Well done!
    "Evil prospers when good men and women do nothing" - British citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    I guess on how you determine heroic. If your job is to run into a burning building or catch criminals then why do you get a medal for doing your job?Now if your job is to clean buildings or landscaping and you put out a building fire or stop a criminal then yeah give them a medal because they went above and beyond their job and training.
    Giving people a medal for doing there jobs devalues the medal.
    A solders job is to carry out his mission.Sometimes his mission requires him to get shot at or even shot and/or killed but if you give every solder who gets killed the Medal of Honor you devalue that medal and dishonor the people who have won it in the past
    I think maybe youre not truly understanding what im trying to say. I dont think nor did I say that everyone that does a great deed deserves to receive a medal.

However, there are cases where LEO & Soldiers have went beyond the call of duty and received no medal. I never said they needed to start handing out the CMH left and right......

But I also believe that one needs not to die in the line of duty to be considered for a medal either...

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    I think maybe youre not truly understanding what im trying to say. I dont think nor did I say that everyone that does a great deed deserves to receive a medal.

However, there are cases where LEO & Soldiers have went beyond the call of duty and received no medal. I never said they needed to start handing out the CMH left and right......

But I also believe that one needs not to die in the line of duty to be considered for a medal either...
    I agree with you on that I am sure there are soldiers who go above and beyond everyday with no recognition and would not want any.My point was I didn't think the two SWAT team members went above and beyond their duties and thus did not deserve a Medal of Valor and I am sure they would agree and understand I am not blaming the officers just saying that the selection committee need to evaluate their selection process if they think this deserves an Medal of Valor.An attaboy a pat on the back or some acknowledgment of a job well done (because it was a well done job just not above and beyond the call of duty)I would agree with but not a Medal of Valor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    I agree with you on that I am sure there are soldiers who go above and beyond everyday with no recognition and would not want any.My point was I didn't think the two SWAT team members went above and beyond their duties and thus did not deserve a Medal of Valor and I am sure they would agree and understand I am not blaming the officers just saying that the selection committee need to evaluate their selection process if they think this deserves an Medal of Valor.An attaboy a pat on the back or some acknowledgment of a job well done (because it was a well done job just not above and beyond the call of duty)I would agree with but not a Medal of Valor.
    I agree with you on that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links