Deputies Receive Medal of Valor

This is a discussion on Deputies Receive Medal of Valor within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From MY hometown: "Good on Em" .. Two Florence County Sheriff Department deputies receive Medal of Valor | SCNow Two Florence County Sheriff Department deputies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deputies Receive Medal of Valor

Deputies Receive Medal of Valor

From MY hometown: "Good on Em" .. Two Florence County Sheriff Department deputies receive Medal of Valor | SCNow

Two Florence County Sheriff Department deputies receive Medal of Valor
    Advertisement

Text size: small | medium | large

From local reports
    Published: September 18, 2009

Two Florence County Sheriff Department Deputies were honored by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Association at its annual Convention in Myrtle Beach on Sept. 16, according to a press release. Lt. Jason P. Dore and Investigator Brad S. McDowell received the Association’s highest award for bravery in the line of duty, the Medal of Valor.

The award was based on the Aug. 4, 2008 hostage rescue by Florence County Sheriff’s Office Swat Unit on Boling Road near Pamplico. Earlier that morning, a 13-year-old child was taken hostage by a subject who demanded that the child’s mother be brought to the home, or the child would be killed. After about three hours of negotiations, the situation began to deteriorate and specific threats to kill the child were made by the subject. At that time, after the use of noise and flash devices to distract the subject, Dore and McDowell were ordered by the SWAT unit commander to make entry into the home. Upon entering the dwelling, the subject was found holding the child beside him and made further life threatening movements toward the hostage.

After refusing orders to the release the hostage, Dore and McDowell simultaneously discharged their weapons, mortally wounding the subject, but saving the life of the 13-year-old, who was rescued without harm.

The Medal of Valor is awarded by SCLEOA to officers who demonstrate outstanding bravery performed in the line of duty and disregard of personal consequences. The award was presented to Dore and McDowell by Sheriff Kenney Boone. “Because of their heroic actions, at great risk of personal harm to themselves, a child’s life was saved, and a mother was able to hug that child again. This is yet another example of the selfless dedication that our deputies have for the people of Florence County,” Sheriff Kenney Boone said. “Jason and Brad would tell you they were just doing their duty, but in our eyes, they are heroes.”
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Dore and McDowell
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Big time congratulations to the two Deputies!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Good thread First Sgt.
    They deserved that Medal of Valor.

Moved to Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion.

Thanks for posting that. I recall the story, hadn't seen that they were recognized with the medal.
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

We need more recognition of the job our LEOs do. everytime they walk out the door there's a bullseye on their backs, but they still go and do a necessary and mostly thankless job.

I'm glad these officers got that recognition.

Job well done! I'm grateful for the men and women in uniform who go above and beyond.

We need to remember when we say that the SCOTUS ruled that LEO's are not duty bound to protect our lives. It's a very rare case when they do not do just that when able.

Kudos to these lawmen.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Nice shootin', fellas! Bet that was a pucker factor off the scale!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I am going to have to disagree on the medal.They were doing their job period and I am glad to officers agree.It is what they train for and what we pay them to do. Nothing they did is not in their job description. They did a good job but what they did is what SWAT is trained to do.Was it dangerous yes but again it was in line with their job duties.Medals are supposed to be awarded for actions above beyond the call of duty this wasn't above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion and devalues all Medals of Valor.I am grateful and thankful for their service but don't consider what they did worth a medal.

Nice shooting, saved taxpayer dollars, rescued the child...pretty good day's work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    “Jason and Brad would tell you they were just doing their duty, but in our eyes, they are heroes.”

Two thumbs up!!

Yes AND No, Chiller2 SEE Rottkeepers comment above

WASHINGTON DID'NT USE HIS FREEDOM OF SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    We need to remember when we say that the SCOTUS ruled that LEO's are not duty bound to protect our lives. It's a very rare case when they do not do just that when able.

Kudos to these lawmen.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely.

What the courts are saying is that one can't sue LEOs for failing at the impossible task of protecting everyone, all the time -- and that one has the obligation to protect oneself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I for one think its great to hear.

I truly hate, I mean hate to hear of cases where LEO and soldiers have to die to receive a prestigious medal..

I know of many LEO and Soldiers that have done heroic actions and lived, and were never even considered for a medal..

I for one think they should give more medals for heroic actions...

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    I for one think its great to hear.

I truly hate, I mean hate to hear of cases where LEO and soldiers have to die to receive a prestigious medal..

I know of many LEO and Soldiers that have done heroic actions and lived, and were never even considered for a medal..

I for one think they should give more medals for heroic actions...
    I guess on how you determine heroic. If your job is to run into a burning building or catch criminals then why do you get a medal for doing your job?Now if your job is to clean buildings or landscaping and you put out a building fire or stop a criminal then yeah give them a medal because they went above and beyond their job and training.
    Giving people a medal for doing there jobs devalues the medal.
    A solders job is to carry out his mission.Sometimes his mission requires him to get shot at or even shot and/or killed but if you give every solder who gets killed the Medal of Honor you devalue that medal and dishonor the people who have won it in the past

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links