Mayor says to LEOs: "No more car or foot chases"

This is a discussion on Mayor says to LEOs: "No more car or foot chases" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by V65magnafan Why put on a big show? Just drop by the miscreant's house later and pick him up. No sprained ankles. No ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mayor says to LEOs: "No more car or foot chases"

Quote Originally Posted by V65magnafan View Post

Why put on a big show? Just drop by the miscreant's house later and pick him up. No sprained ankles. No dented Crown Vic. No disability claims .

Ok,.. What is to say he don't run again? They had better be able to funnel him to them, because if he can run, he will and they will not be able to chaser.. That is BS totally,.. I stand by my above post..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Deciding to avoid high-speed chases with police vehicles is one thing, which can be laid at the feet of the bean counters, sure. But I simply cannot find any rational reason to explain why chasing criminal suspects isn't in the best interest of everyone. It's not as though chasing a mugger from the scene of the crime would cost any more than not chasing him. I mean, the LEO is already on the job that hour ... why not catch the mugger?
    I was refering to the insurance/liability costs so many of these so-called decision makers like to reference. If Officer A catches Criminal Z but sprains his or her wrist doing it, costing $Y in work-comp and other expenses. Is it more or less cost-effective to just let the crimminal go and hope that they do not commit any more crimes.

There are times when this type of reasoning is required in the operation of any organization, but in this case it is silly. As most of our estimeened LEO members can attest to, law enforcement is not a "safe" profession. There will be bumps, scrapes and worse, both to people and to equipment. But there has to be a little sanity in trying to control those costs. To basically tell the criminal population that Officer A will not chase them is tatamount to inviting them to do their worst.

Irresponsible government officials -
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Ok, this is just stupid.

Next she will be saying that they can't do warrant enforcement because the officers might get injured during that. Seems I remember one of our members getting bit by a dog or something during a raid or warrant .

I do understand nixing the high speed pursuits, especially if in a highly populated area or residential area, but not letting the officers run after the bad guys is just nuts.

Maybe the city should make some requirements that the officers spend more time doing PT so that they were in better shape for the foot chases.

Wait, I have a solution. The LEO's should just shoot the bad guys when they run away and then they can walk over to them after their down and cuff them before the bus gets there to take them to the hospital if their still alive. Ahh, a solution that works for everyone.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I was refering to the insurance/liability costs so many of these so-called decision makers like to reference.
    I hear you. Though, the bean counters don't consider all of the costs very well, so very much of the time. The costs to society's practical safety and security is, on the whole, worth far more than "sprains to the wrist" and what not.

Though, on the whole, we could have another 30 million armed people on the streets tomorrow if we'd simply throw down our incessant micro-management of citizens via silly anti-gunner statutes that do little other than criminalize upstanding citizens. It would also take the extreme burdens off the courageous officers that put their lives on the line each day for citizens they don't even know. Overall, THAT would solve many things all at once, while simultaneously spreading the cost, the risk and the burden to a far more equitable degree than agencies and programs can every achieve.

*Sigh*

There are times when this type of reasoning is required in the operation of any organization, but in this case it is silly.
    Bean counting has its place. But when safety and security is put at risk, you suck it up and do what's required.

Seeing as how we're financially mismanaging ourselves into the sewer, administratively, it seems far more important now than ever to consider the possibility of tossing much of the anti-firearms crap into the shredder and flipping the switch to "frappe." All we have to do is stop disallowing citizens the right to carry, as guaranteed in the 2A; stop criminalizing them for daring to defend their families; stop going after them unless it is proven beyond doubt they committed crimes willingly and knowingly and that they themselves were the attackers. We simply need to do the Vermont-style treatment, or something near to it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Next the mayor will issue order that the cops cannot shoot at the Bad guy due to the cost of ammo.The BG might also shoot back and and injure one of the officers which would cause a workers compensation claim. It seems like the mayor is a bean counter.This one takes the cake. The citizens of this town have good reason to arm them selves.

Time to fire/Impeach a mayor and appoint somebody with some common sense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Time to fire/Impeach a mayor and appoint somebody with some common sense
    I hear the local high school Valedictorian has no pressing engagements. That'd be a step up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What a twit.
    That pretty much sums it up. Nothing else necessary.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

We must all realize that these are the same people who tell us in the event of a robbery or mugging or home invasion, the best policy is to COMPLY. Or in other words, just bury your head in the sand and hope it will all go away.

I wonder if that mayor would feel the same way if she had just been mugged?

It's just another bean-counter policy. $X per year in cost is worthwhile and $Y per year is not worthwhile.
    yeah except she can't think far enough ahead to the fact that if you cut $Y because it creates $X and $X is just way too much...what about the after affects of $X...isn't there a $Z or $W(or whatever alphanumeric character you prefer) created? How much more $ is going to go flushed when criminals decide that it's open season in that town. Kinda hard to pay the town bills when the townspeople are all broke from being mugged daily. Suddenly that measly $20k per year isn't looking so bad...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by V65magnafan View Post
    Let's do a little research. Wellsford has a population of 2030. The nearest larger population area is Spartanburg.

Therefore, I would imagine that the police would actually be able to identify almost all the people they are running after. The whole town is only about 2 square miles.

Why put on a big show? Just drop by the miscreant's house later and pick him up. No sprained ankles. No dented Crown Vic. No disability claims .

It sounds to me that the chief enacted this after trying negotiation with his force.

I'm just guessing here.
    Then you have the same situation you have in any semi-rural area that is nearby a larger community/city. The city miscreants merely travel to the unprotected community, do their deed, and return home for the night to count their spoils. Kinda like stop and robs. Run out, grab something, run home.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

They should take the xtra money they will save and buy a gun for everybody in town and deputise them,that way no matter where the BG runs there will be a cop and they can wait til hes tired and then walk over and cuff him.Or arm everybody and post a sign at the city limits saying "Criminals beware we have guns and we know how to use them"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What a twit.
    Not to be a grammar nazi, but I believe the word is spelled with an "a."

And it sounds like the mayor needs to experience crime firsthand (with her "no chase" policy in effect) to have a proper perspective on the matter.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Hear that? It's the sound of criminals running to Wellford.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member

Hum

What is interesting is that while their total crime risk is low and property crime risk is very low their murder risk is nearly double that of the US as a whole.

See:Wellford, SC Community Demographics Summary - CLRSearch.com

Comments from:

why is this lady still a mayor? - South Carolina (SC) - City-Data Forum

Maybe it's because she doesn't want her own kids getting into trouble and thats the only way she can keep them from getting arrested ! The political world is like a cesspool. --- All the scum floats to the top !

What amazes me is she isn't in office in New Orleans or Los Angeles. Their "blame the cops, not the criminals" attitude would work well for her.

She has been known for being a controversial character in the past. Around the beginning of the decade, she tried to turn her city into a haven for strip clubs and other adult businesses--against the express wishes of her city council as well as most citizens. She got a lot of the same type of media notoriety during that time.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    Thank God the town doesn't have a fire department, or she'd forbid fighting fires because it's dangerous.....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links