oc certification today....

This is a discussion on oc certification today.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ....and man did it suck, we were certified with first defense brand spray. the class we took from our instructor really hyped it up to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oc certification today....

....and man did it suck, we were certified with first defense brand spray. the class we took from our instructor really hyped it up to be worse then what it was though. anyway our class consisted of level 1 contamination followed by our faced sprayed with water to speed up the burn on it. we ran through and performed knee strikes, elbow strikes, and disarming and cuffing a subject. all in all it was a good group experience but man did it burn like crazy. it really gives you a good respect for OC. also were now carrying first defense mk4 X2

good times
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

DC Founder
    OC really is a fun experience but it does show you that you can fight through it even though you are totally messed up. A guy in our class got a light load and then told to stand to for a "respray". Poor guy had to stand there burning until another deputy could give him a full load. We were required to give a radio call giving our location as the first task after being sprayed. I started before the spray was over and got a pretty good load down the windpipe which makes the whole experience even worse. Glad I did it but don't really want to do it again.

Welcome to the club!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have my certificate and I HOPE I never need to be sprayed again! I'm retired and would only plan to be a "giver" NOT a "receiver" when it comes to O.C. !!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

definatly its nasty stuff and like you said it shows you can still be in the fight while contaminated, but it takes alot out of you.
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    thank you for keeping the public safe
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    ....and man did it suck, we were certified with first defense brand spray. the class we took from our instructor really hyped it up to be worse then what it was though. anyway our class consisted of level 1 contamination followed by our faced sprayed with water to speed up the burn on it. we ran through and performed knee strikes, elbow strikes, and disarming and cuffing a subject. all in all it was a good group experience but man did it burn like crazy. it really gives you a good respect for OC. also were now carrying first defense mk4 X2
    good times
    Man those training classes for working in a high school are getting a lot tougher.

Kidding aside...that stuff is hot. Anyone who carried an OC spray should buy two and try one of them outside. Just a little spray back, which is very likely in a SD situation, is an eye-opener, errrr, an eye-closer!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMO, I would rather deal with tear gas(CS) than OC. I had CS exposure every year for 5 years during my active duty time. I only had one full exposure to OC during my police academy time. OC messed me up way more than CS ever did. I will say that my second exposure (only breathed it in) to OC wasn't bad. It clears up strep throat pretty well. LOL.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    IMO, I would rather deal with tear gas(CS) than OC.
    CS is nothing. I had a blast in the gas chamber watching all the other ones freak out.

I've been OC'd around 7 times that I can think of. It sucks, but it's dealable.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

i will try to get some video up soon for the mean time heres a nice picture of the experience

U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

In you guys' opinion what sucks more/worse for OC?

* Majority eyes
    * Majority nose
    * Majority mouth/throat

Definition of "majority" being primary point of spray impact and resulting chemical effect.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    In you guys' opinion what sucks more/worse for OC?

* Majority eyes
    * Majority nose
    * Majority mouth/throat

Definition of "majority" being primary point of spray impact and resulting chemical effect.

- Janq

my eyes stopped burning fairly quick because i forced them open and blinked constantly with running water and a fan. the worst pain for me was my ears and face it felt like i had dipped it in scalding water but definatly was still in the fight, the eyes werent that bad though just felt like there was a bag of sand poured in them
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

20% of the population is not affected by OC. The other 80% is affected in varying degrees from a mild reaction to extreme reaction. Sounds like you were not as affected as others. We were sprayed with Fox Labs 5.2 (5.2 MILLION Scoville Heat Units). Since Oleoresin Capsicum is oil-based, Dawn detergent or baby shampoo works to get it out of the skin.

8 hours after exposure, my face was still on fire. Eyes were still swollen more than 3 days afterward. We had DT the day after and one of my classmates had it reactivated in his eyes and was incapacitated again. We had to get sprayed, then do hand strikes, baton strikes, knee strikes, and find and take down a suspect at gunpoint while making the "officer needs help" radio call. We had to fight through it. A few of my classmates were like you, they were able to function again fairly quickly. Others were in PAIN for hours, and were NOT able to drive.

I'd rather get tased 20 times than get sprayed with OC again. At least with a taser, it only feels like hell for that few seconds. With OC, it feels like hell for hours/days. I actually felt like I was going to die at one point.

T11B, you look about typical. When I had the class it did not effect me that much... I could have run around the block if I could have seen where I was going. I could breath ok. Eyes where shut in about 45 seconds to a minute, after that I would have to take my fingers to open them. The real worst of the burning was my eyebrows. A couple of the other guys' faces looked sunburned and eyes bloodshot the whole next day. It really does vary.

heres an amusing video related to this i found....poor kid

LiveLeak.com - Maced during training - OMG
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My ears take the longest to "cool."
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links