I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is a discussion on I almost shot an 11 year old boy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 64zebra not getting under anyone's skin, we're just educating from the viewpoint of our job Much appreciated too The kid screwed up ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 151 to 155 of 155
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I almost shot an 11 year old boy

  1. #151
    Member Array Bhamrichard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, AL.
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    not getting under anyone's skin, we're just educating from the viewpoint of our job
    Much appreciated too

    The kid screwed up here not me.
    I agree, and disagree. Yes, the kid screwed up in some ways, but one has to question your actions as well. Kids occasionally play with toy guns, but as a society in general, anything having the word "gun" in it, seems to be a problem for a whole heck of a lot of people. I'm not really certain how to express my thoughts here, but the boy made an error, and your preconceived notions almost got him shot for it.

    I fully understand, and agree that you believe you were acting in your own best interests, and maybe you were. It's really a tough situation and I don't mean to sound like I'm passing judgement. Someone called in a MWAG call, and you apparently proceeded as if that was the absolute fact of the situation.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

    Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #152
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    I agree, and disagree. Yes, the kid screwed up in some ways, but one has to question your actions as well. Kids occasionally play with toy guns, but as a society in general, anything having the word "gun" in it, seems to be a problem for a whole heck of a lot of people. I'm not really certain how to express my thoughts here, but the boy made an error, and your preconceived notions almost got him shot for it.

    I fully understand, and agree that you believe you were acting in your own best interests, and maybe you were. It's really a tough situation and I don't mean to sound like I'm passing judgement. Someone called in a MWAG call, and you apparently proceeded as if that was the absolute fact of the situation.
    maybe I was acting in my own best interests????? I think its pretty clear I was acting to protect myself as well as the other kid that about 4 feet away from him, I have no idea how anyone could say maybe I was acting in my own best interests

    ....my preconceived notions almost got him shot for it???? NO, what almost got him shot was HIM pulling a gun out of his pocket as I'm exiting my patrol car while staring at me with a 1000 yard stare with another boy sitting on the ground about 4 feet away from him....none of my 'notions' had anything to do with it

    I didn't proceed as if that was the absolute fact of the situation based on the 911 call (and people can question my actions all they want)...BUT....if everyone looks at the totality of the circumstances as I did, and as I plainly typed out in the original post....call of kid with gun, the kid had the 1000 yard stare (indicator), stuck one hand in his pocket instead of both hands (indicator), kid on the ground 4 feet away, as I'm getting out of my car he DRAWS A GUN OUT OF HIS POCKET (HUGE indicator), that is what made me draw my gun and point it at him, not merely the 911 call
    thats what I saw and had knowledge of and acted on

    I detail this again because people don't understand or get it, some things are difficult to explain any other way, and some people will never understand because they haven't been trained for this and don't face this stuff everyday
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  4. #153
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    I dont know why you would draw on an 11 year old boy when some sheeple calls in and says some boys are carrying guns!!!!!!!



    ^^^^^^^^Because in some parts of this country, 11 year old kids are actually carrying REAL firearms, with the intent on killing someone.

    Maybe not in Spokane, but here in the D, Not drawing on a youngster,whose flagrantly toting a gun around will get you killed.

    Zebra, good thing you reacted in time.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  5. #154
    Member Array dugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    101

    Drop in

    (Know this is an old thread, but I'll drop a comment anyway, in case anyone is around.)

    I am dismayed by some of the commenters here who seemed to insist on misunderstanding the context involved. Those include monsterbass, Deuce13, maybe Blamrichard, and certainly a few others. If you guys are still around, this is for you:

    It is always good to analyze officer's actions to see how to improve. No problem, there. There are always questions to examine.

    But your comments seem to derive too much from emotion. I imagine your process was something like, "The kid was 11, how could it be his fault? 11 is so cute. It could have gone bad, though, so we want to blame somebody... so, let's blame the adult/authority/etc. We'll use our intelligence to figure out how to do that, instead of to better understand the events. It's easier.")

    Look, it is problematic when someone with insufficient understanding of real life gets to make judgments without bothering to find out how things really work. It is sad when they then defend them in face of more educated opinions. It can be tragic when they get to make rules, as happens too often with politicians, for instance.

    So, if monsterbass and some those posters have gotten some education here and decided to evolve their opinions a bit, then congratulations. If not, well, you missed a great opportunity.

    To Zebra, thanks for saving that kid's life. Very cool that you ran in to him later, in such a way. Hope you stay out there for a while. Having folks like you on the streets is good for all of us. Be safe!

  6. #155
    Member Array dugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    maybe I was acting in my own best interests????? I think its pretty clear I was acting to protect myself as well as the other kid that about 4 feet away from him, I have no idea how anyone could say maybe I was acting in my own best interests

    ....my preconceived notions almost got him shot for it???? NO, what almost got him shot was HIM pulling a gun out of his pocket as I'm exiting my patrol car while staring at me with a 1000 yard stare with another boy sitting on the ground about 4 feet away from him....none of my 'notions' had anything to do with it

    I didn't proceed as if that was the absolute fact of the situation based on the 911 call (and people can question my actions all they want)...BUT....if everyone looks at the totality of the circumstances as I did, and as I plainly typed out in the original post....call of kid with gun, the kid had the 1000 yard stare (indicator), stuck one hand in his pocket instead of both hands (indicator), kid on the ground 4 feet away, as I'm getting out of my car he DRAWS A GUN OUT OF HIS POCKET (HUGE indicator), that is what made me draw my gun and point it at him, not merely the 911 call
    thats what I saw and had knowledge of and acted on

    I detail this again because people don't understand or get it, some things are difficult to explain any other way, and some people will never understand because they haven't been trained for this and don't face this stuff everyday
    That makes sense to me. You did ok, Zebra; don't take those guys too much to heart.

    Considering those guys, though, I might ask them how it is that some people -- as you say, Zebra -- will never understand?

    They seem unable to admit that they might not understand something outside of their experience, so they limit their own ability to understand. Sort of a "full tea cup" kind of thing. They don't see the problem with adhering to a version of reality that can only be maintained by taking refuge behind a warm, fluffy desk and stubbornly insisting that just what it is comfortable to imagine from that insulated perspective is enough to explain the world. That seems suspiciously similar to some psychological neurosis born out of deep denial, or unconscious fear?

    Or I could be wrong. Just speculating. Heck, what do I know?

    But anyway, Zebra, forget about them. There will always be people who don't know what they are talking about and insist on talking anyway. You can't help them all that much until they admit they have a problem.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 15 year old shot and killed, looks like he was a bad guy
    By TN_Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 8th, 2011, 11:21 PM
  2. BAD: 21-year-old shot to death in
    By XD in SC in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
  3. 4 year old shot with CCW holders gun
    By GOPony in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
  4. 15 year old shot at hospital
    By buckeye .45 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM
  5. 16 year old BG Shot in Irving, TX
    By Blinky in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: April 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Search tags for this page

babe11year

,

boy getting almost shot

,

boy self sho

Click on a term to search for related topics.