I almost shot an 11 year old boy - Page 2

I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is a discussion on I almost shot an 11 year old boy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by monsterbass iM NOT TRYING TO GET UNDER EVERYONES SKIN HERE BUT, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF IF A COP PULLED A GUN ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I almost shot an 11 year old boy

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    iM NOT TRYING TO GET UNDER EVERYONES SKIN HERE BUT, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF IF A COP PULLED A GUN ON MY KID FOR PLAYING WITH AN AIRSOFT GUN.
    You sound like you could be the father of the little punk that lives down the street. This one thinks it's cute to pull an airsoft out of his pants and point it at cars as they drive by.
    His parents know and don't care, and this kid is only 8 years old. I'll be surprised if he makes it to high school.
    If the parents don't make their own kids aware of certain common-sense things, hopefully the local PD will before something tragic happens.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    You sound like you could be the father of the little punk that lives down the street. This one thinks it's cute to pull an airsoft out of his pants and point it at cars as they drive by.
    His parents know and don't care, and this kid is only 8 years old. I'll be surprised if he makes it to high school.
    If the parents don't make their own kids aware of certain common-sense things, hopefully the local PD will before something tragic happens.
    Thats not quite accurate, and you sure cant predict how this 11 year old will turn out. Maybe he will be a president.

iM NOT TRYING TO GET UNDER EVERYONES SKIN HERE BUT, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF IF A COP PULLED A GUN ON MY KID FOR PLAYING WITH AN AIRSOFT GUN.
    Then you don't have any idea of what it's like to be a cop. We don't have the magical ability to determine within that split second if the gun is a toy gun, a bb gun, or an airsoft gun. If it looks like a gun I'm drawing down. And if the muzzle so much as moves in my direction, I'm shooting. I'm going to go home at the end of my shift to my wife and children. You don't like it? Too bad. Deal with it.

You should be pissed at your kid for playing with an airsoft gun when the cops come around.

Several years ago there were two small kids were playing outside with pellet guns on a property I was guarding. A resident saw one of the kids and dialed 9-1-1. She told the 9-1-1 dispatcher that she saw a young boy with a handgun. Within 5 minutes I had 5 or 6 police cars on property & a police helicopter hovering overhead looking for two juveniles with handguns. When the police did eventually locate the kids with the toy guns they confiscated them. Both the kids had removed the plastic orange pieces from the end of the barrel. These guns looked like the "real deal". Thankfully the responding officers did not shoot either of the two boys. The police gave the parents of the kids a very rude wake up call about the kids toy guns.

The parents allowed the police to take the toy pellet guns without the safety coloring at the end of the barrel. I had to do an "incident report" on this incident. This could have gotten one or both of these kids shot.

Thankfully the responding officers were very professional and did not shoot either of the kids with the toy handguns.

It could have gone much worse. I can still visualize the toy handguns WITHOUT the plastic safety device on the end of the barrel.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Then, be pissed ... at yourself for failing to instill a sense of firearms responsibility with your child. (Hypothetically speaking, as this wasn't you and your kid.)

Try to be understanding this: a person with a firearm drew that firearm at the moment the officer was making contact with that person as part of a call about people with firearms in the area. AT THAT MOMENT, it is fairly irrelevant that the kid happens to be 11yrs old. What is crucial is what 64zebra has indicated, that a firearm was drawn and presented to a cop.

Be pissed. Be enraged. Be happy your kid is alive, that your/his joint stupidity at failing to instill a strong sense of personal responsibility regarding firearms handling didn't take. This is 2009. Failing to correctly handle firearms around others can get you killed, as a direct result of your own actions. That's about it. This is NOT because of failures with the LEO. This IS about failures with training and common sense when dealing with firearms ... "airsoft/fake" though they turn out to be.

Point is: Guns are not a game. Not in 2009, on the street, when law enforcement is responding. This is not a game.

In my area, here, there are some gangs and some wayward kids. But generally speaking the LEO's seem to be fairly level-headed. Occasionally there are situations requiring the drawing of weapons, but very rarely do we hear of spray-and-pray situations involving law enforcement. In the nearby towns, there are ordinances regarding fake/airsoft type guns and bringing them out for display/use within city limits. I don't recall having seen any except on one instance in the past 5yrs. They simply aren't a problem, around these parts. Generally speaking folks who do get some time around guns treat them well, and treat them like the potentially-dangerous items they are. That's a good thing, else situations like those described by the OP would occur.
    Hoganbeg and Tzadik like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I dont know why you would draw on an 11 year old boy when some sheeple calls in and says some boys are carrying guns!!!!!!!
    The sad & unfortunate but real and modern world...

This photo provided by Lawrence County Prison shows 11-year-old Jordan Anthony Brown.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009
    Boy Shoots Dad's Pregnant Fiancee Before School, Police Say - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

LAROSE, La., May 18, 2009
    Boy (age 15) Shoots Self In Head After Class Attack - CBS News

Andover, MA May 19, 2009
    Mass. 11-year-old boy shoots others with BB gun | NECN

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:50pm PDT
    Detroit 12 year old boy shoots a woman to death - Parenting on Shine

Posted September 22, 2009 11:07 AM
    13-year-old Newton boy charged with shooting fellow students with BB gun - Newton - Your Town - Boston.com

These are the kind of calls police all around our nation are receiving and responding to, today.
    Not yesterday when you or I or our grandparents were kids. Today as with our own kids and their kids.

Age makes no difference any more.

If you have a firearm and are handling it in an unlawful manner, you will be assumed to be and treated as though you are a threat until either you act otherwise.

Todays news
    Cop Kills Elderly (76 yrs. old) Gun-Touting Woman - ABC News

- Janq

"This country is definitely not the same as it was when most of us were kids. ITS A DAMN SHAME!!!!!" - monsterbass
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Thats not quite accurate, and you sure cant predict how this 11 year old will turn out. Maybe he will be a president.
    You missed my point. Nobody knows what this kids potential is. Cops don't know what some kids can be capable of. One might be a perfect good kid, the next may not. If your kid goes around pointing guns(airsoft or otherwise) at a LEO, there is no telling how he may turn out. Think about it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

So is everyone here in favor of taking away all toy guns from kids.? Thats what it sound like to me. No kid is safe with a toy gun? Are all you L.E.O.'s responding to this thread in your 20's? I know what year it is but, if thats how the police respond to kids playing with toy guns, i sure wont let mine play with them.

So is everyone here in favor of taking away all toy guns from kids.? Thats what it sound like to me. No kid is safe with a toy gun? Are all you L.E.O.'s responding to this thread in your 20's? I know what year it is but, if thats how the police respond to kids playing with toy guns, i sure wont let mine play with them.
    That's not what anybodys saying,but purposefully removing the tip from a gun indicating its a toy is showing intent to alter it to look like the real deal and then walking around pointing it at people who think it is "REAL" is a felony and can get anybody shot,even you if you result in that kind of reckless behaviour
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    64Zebra,

Thank you for what you do. It's often a thankless job, as shown in places on this thread. I hope you rest easy tonight knowing that you did an excellent job today, and that this kid is home safe.

Bravo Zulu.
    Hoganbeg and 10thmtn like this.

64ZEBRA, Im glad everything turned out ok. I know your job is tough, and i hope you stay safe. your north american friend.

I have yet to read that in any of the posts... What I believe them to be saying is responsibility of the parents to explain safety and the kids to abide by the rules. The actions taken by 64Zebra are the actions of a prudent LEO who wants to go home every night.

It is not up to LEO or your neighbors to raise your kids and tolerate bad and sometimes deadly behavior.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

So is everyone here in favor of taking away all toy guns from kids.?
    I'm not suggesting that, no. But, coexisting in the modern world requires an understanding of how that world functions. One cannot simply go around with eyes wide shut, even when playing with "toys."

The fact is, toy guns are guns. To anyone standing 50yds away, there's no apparent difference. To an inbound LEO on a call about "man with gun," folks waving guns have a serious and immediate problem that's about to be confronted. It's the way the world functions. It's the way law enforcement is expected to function. Kids need to at least be minimally aware of this, if they're going to be playing with "guns" outside a fairly obviously enclosed area catering to kids with toys ... else, it's going to be misconstrued, like as not.

No kid is safe with a toy gun?
    Depends on how the kid uses it, I think. One can go around blindly, ignorant of how things are perceived in this world. Or, one can go around somewhat educated about what "gun" means to folks.

Personally, as an adult, a parent, a "business" person out and about doing my thing, I'd have no problem with an area dedicated to kids playing with toys ... ie, like a "dog park" is for dogs, or a kid's playground is for kids, or a skate park is for folks with skateboards. For guns, an airsoft "park" or a gun range is a perfect spot. There is almost certainly not going to be misunderstanding. But, if you take the same item out on the street, when that "item" is a gun (fake or not), then you're going to be misunderstood by some percentage of the population. Our culture has come to this, yes.

Yes, it is truly sad. But for people to coexist and not get misunderstood, folks need to appreciate the sea change that has occurred. There are enough criminals around, and they're visible enough to many folks, that screwing around with guns is no longer kosher when others are around. Generally speaking, if you do that in common/public areas, you're putting yourself and others at risk, IMO. Others will take it this way, hence it's true. Doesn't matter that we know the gun is fake/airsoft. What matters is that a gun has been seen.

Change the circumstances just a bit, then reevaluate. Instead of an 11yr old child, consider the gun wielding person to be 16yrs old. Or, 23yrs old. Does that change anything? Same fake airsoft gun. Same movements, and same playing with buddies. No change in threat. Or, viewed from the perspective of a parent over yonder who catches a glimpse of gun-wielding young people cruising through the neighborhood, what's so different about an 11yr old vs a 16yr old? Not much, really. And there's the answer. One simply has to understand the basic dynamic when we're out there with guns, even toy ones.

Are all you L.E.O.'s responding to this thread in your 20's?
    I'm a citizen in my late 40's. Not an LEO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just curious.
    Did the Airsoft have the Blaze O Tip or had it been removed?

AKA - ALL AIRSOFT GUNS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE THE TIP 1/4 INCH OF THE BARREL PERMANENTLY COLORED BY ORANGE BLAZE.

BTW Glad that everything ultimately worked out OK.
    If you painted the muzzle of a real gun orange you could get the first shot off. What kind of idiot would believe an orange muzzle? Larry

I remember when i was a kid with my fancy plastic western holster and my beautiful chrome plated 6 shooter cap gun (no orange on the end of barrel) We pointed at everything. Those were the good old days i guess. Its just a shame to me the way things have turned out, and it ruins the fun for all the kids. God bless this country and help us all.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links