I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is a discussion on I almost shot an 11 year old boy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Zebra, I've just read through all the postings here and just wanted to say "thank you" for your service. I, for one, do not have ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I almost shot an 11 year old boy

DM2
    Zebra, I've just read through all the postings here and just wanted to say "thank you" for your service. I, for one, do not have what it takes to do your job. It takes a special person to put his or her life on the line in service to the public at large. You sir and all others that do what you do are to be commended.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

2. Remove Ads

Since when is it lawful for an 11 yr. old to OC, in any state?

Adults of lawful carry ability age do not look like 11 yr. olds, not even the big 11 yr. olds being put out by the factory these days.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Blatant over reaction. No one knew the situation and an 11 year old almost got shot. Thank GOD I don't live in a community like that.

EDIT: Not you Zebra, the overzealous nanny's on the street who like to stick their nose into other peoples business. This one is a little personal, and I feel I didn't clarify enough before I hit Submit.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Misunderstood, I think, but then there are a lot of various scenarios flying by.

If you're referring to what Eagleks/ccw9mm were covering, then: Situation (a) is what we've been discussing, 11yr olds being met by inbound LEO's. Situation (b) was proposed by Eagleks, asking if his OC was worthy of being called in and drawn on by LEO's. Nobody was suggesting 11yr olds carrying.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    When he is under the supervision of an adult and engaged in a lawful activity(target shooting, hunting).

Which clearly, here he was not.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Blatant over reaction. No one knew the situation and an 11 year old almost got shot. Thank GOD I don't live in a community like that.
    Had Zebra got shot, would you say that he didn't act aggressively enough?

Over reaction? I dont think so, but I wasn't there so I wont second guess what or how.

It was a successful conclusion.
    Thats good enough for me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Not really, no. Zebra should have never been called out. This whole situation infuriates me. I will leave it at that, and appologize. I edited my post immediately because I knew it would be taken out of context, since I am the only one here who knows why it ticked me off.

Again, nothing against how Zebra handled it, he done did good. A bullet sent at you by an 11 year old is just as deadly as that from a 40 year old. Sometimes more so.

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    I agree, the "friendly" neighbor or passerby should have clarified more fully prior to calling anything in.

Gun <> crime.

Criminal actions = crime.

There is a difference, and most sheep don't appreciate it. Hence, most LEO's inbound won't know for certain that sheep made the mistake, and most folks being drawn-down on will be surprised as hell that anyone took offense.

Bad situation all around, I agree, and one that need not happen nine times out of ten.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Not really, no. Zebra should have never been called out. This whole situation infuriates me. I will leave it at that, and appologize. I edited my post immediately because I knew it would be taken out of context, since I am the only one here who knows why it ticked me off.

Again, nothing against how Zebra handled it, he done did good. A bullet sent at you by an 11 year old is just as deadly as that from a 40 year old. Sometimes more so.
    I'll agree...the whole situation sucks. Thats just the way it is though.

Even if a cop (or a soldier for that matter) has a shootout with a kid and it is ruled a good shoot, he will never really get over it because its not a natural thing to do. No one really wins.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

The sad thing is that some calls of kid with a gun actually turn out to be a kid with a real loaded gun.It's a different world today and anybody that doesn't realise it has there head buried somewhere,and I haven't seen 20 in over 30 years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Drawing down on an 11 y/o who has what may be a gun?

Totally understandable and justifiable. A young person with a gun has the potential to be more deadly than a 20 y/o with a gun because the other party may hesitate defending against a young one, whereas they would be less likely to hesitate against a 20 y/o.

64zebra, do what it takes to come home to your family every night. If some people deselect themselves from humanity because of their own dumb decisions (or those of their parents), that's on them, not you. Your family should not have to pay the price for the dumb decisions or neglect of others.

It's all about survival, and those who will draw or make sudden movements while an LEO's gun is on them have, by their own decisions or reactions, lowered their chances of survival.

The rules of survival remain, whether the young ones know them or not. That's what parents are for.

First, good job. Good reactions, period.

2nd. I agree with most everyone here on most points. However, I will say that if LEO walking up cannot tell that it isn't a real gun and it convinces him enough to pull his weapon and draw down... why would you expect the caller to be more of an expert? If I saw an 11-year old child walking around with what I believed to be a real weapon, tucked into his pants or any where else, I would want to call and have the police look into it. I would not approach the child to get a clearer understanding.

So how could this have been handled better? Could it have been?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

64zebra, thanks for picking the right response for a damn near impossible situation. Most of all, thanks for sharing to get the gray matter churning.

I don't know if I could have made the same decision. I would hope so but every interaction is only really known by those that were there.

As for some of the other posts in this thread, sometimes you just have to shake your head and read on.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    So is everyone here in favor of taking away all toy guns from kids.? Thats what it sound like to me. No kid is safe with a toy gun? Are all you L.E.O.'s responding to this thread in your 20's? I know what year it is but, if thats how the police respond to kids playing with toy guns, i sure wont let mine play with them.
    Nope, not at all. But I would be OK with toy guns having to be blaze orange. Not just the tip, the whole thing. But, even that is no guarantee that they wouldn't just spray paint it silver or black.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Which one is fake?
    Attached Images
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links