I almost shot an 11 year old boy - Page 5

I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is a discussion on I almost shot an 11 year old boy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Number 1 and number 4?...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 155
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I almost shot an 11 year old boy

  1. #61
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,986
    Number 1 and number 4?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/


  2. #62
    Senior Member Array Beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    AZ Border Territory,
    Posts
    1,002
    64Zebra.

    I feel your panic and rejoice in the outcome. The last part of 1969 just outside of
    Dong Ha Viet Nam. I was riding shotgun in the back of a duce and one half truck. The convoy came to a sliding halt and several shots could be heard from the front of the convoy.

    I saw this small boy, shirt no pants, come running up the bank and point what looked like a pistol at me and I heard a bang. He was about 2 oz away from experiencing a 20 rd burst of M-16 fire. He was about 30 Ft away from the truck.

    Something in the way in the back of my mind was yelling at me something wasn't right, something was wrong. I figure out later it was the sound

    I unassed the truck and "captured" the kid, He looked to be about 4-5 years old.

    The pistol turned to be a home made toy gun that someone had put a sawed off M-1 carbine barrel on and the kid was shooting modified M-1 carbine blank ammo.

    A woman, who might have been his mother, started yelling and the kid took off crying.

    I trashed the toy pistol and took the parts back to my hooch and s**t canned the parts.

    That was about 40 years ago and to this day I am so very grateful that I saved those last 2 ounces of trigger pull.

    Of all the memories I am glad this is one that doesn’t haunt me. But it does visit once in a great while and that is OK as it is a good one.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,481
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Which one is fake?
    Which one is fake, when viewed at ~30ft and you must decide in 1.0 secs whether to respond?

    Indistinguishable, in real circumstances.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #64
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,986
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Which one is fake, when viewed at ~30ft and you must decide in 1.0 secs whether to respond?

    Indistinguishable, in real circumstances.
    No kiddin. I had to blow up the image and look em over and I'm not even sure I am right. Pointing any one of them at me would have gotten you shot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  5. #65
    Senior Member Array stevem174's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    749
    HotGuns, according to the website I pulled that from you are 50% correct. #4 is the fake.

    ccw9mm, your right! I would hate to bet my life.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

    Stupidity should be painful.

  6. #66
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,986
    I'll be danged. Thats about 50% better than I thought I did.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  7. #67
    Member Array russ1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    I dont know why you would draw on an 11 year old boy when some sheeple calls in and says some boys are carrying guns!!!!!!!
    because most kids this days are stupid enough to take their parents hand guns. I think the cop here did right. He has to defend him self luckily he did not fire on the kid. The kid should know better then to ever mss around like that or even do anything like that. if i had a kid who did that i would beat his ass. something should just be understood here. i know when i have a kid i will teach him gun safety what to do if something like this goes down. You did right. so go home and enjoy being with your wife and kids don't let it bother you. Age does not mean anything now a days anyway. example here in iraq. i had a buddy who was driving in a convoy and this little kid comes running out of his house with an AK 47 and started to light his truck up. this kid looked like he was maybe 10 maybe younger. he did of corse what he had to do. it just goes to show that age does not mean anything. if the cop get a report that their is a person waving a gun around weather it is a toy or not the cop is more then likely going to act as thou it is a real gun. That is one of the basic we learn when starting to use firearms treat all firearms as thou they are loaded and real.
    Last edited by russ1986; September 24th, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

  8. #68
    Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,954
    In all of the hullabaloo with trying to make my point with monsterbass, I forgot something very important.
    Prayers and Kudos sent to 64Zebra for his great handling of a bad situation. The emotions involved must have been awful. Trying to see the situation from a LEO's point of view isn't easy, but I see a man who has sworn to serve and protect, faced with the reality of what could have been a deadly encounter. Shoot or be shot is the first thought that had to go through his mind, after his emotions have already been ramped up by a call of someone pointing a gun at another.
    The part of the whole incident that impresses me the most is the encounter with Mom and the boy at home. I hope both Mom and the boy have learned a very important lesson here, and it's a shame it had to happen at all. If more parents would use some common sense and pay attention to what their kids are doing, there would be a lot less of this kind of stuff going on. It's sad to see that parents don't stop to think of what kind of things can happen if they don't take the time to teach right from wrong. That itself would have possibly prevent the whole thing in the first place, and 64Zebra wouldn't have been involved in something none of us would ever want to be in.
    Great job Zebra, and thank you for what you do!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

  9. #69
    Member Array Leopard125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Posts
    204

    Question

    Monsterbass,

    What would you do if the kid was at the mall with his air soft?
    I assume you carry.

  10. #70
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    To 64 If we ever met IRL first round of drinks on me. To Mosterbrass keep drinking the punch.

  11. #71
    Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    To 64 If we ever met IRL first round of drinks on me. To Mosterbrass keep drinking the punch.
    Drinking the punch is fine, but don't serve it to children.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

  12. #72
    Member Array Random's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clayton NC
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    So is everyone here in favor of taking away all toy guns from kids.? Thats what it sound like to me. No kid is safe with a toy gun? Are all you L.E.O.'s responding to this thread in your 20's? I know what year it is but, if thats how the police respond to kids playing with toy guns, i sure wont let mine play with them.
    Based on your posts here, I would suggest that you take a few steps back and calm down. You are reacting purely from emotion and not attempting to understand the facts and apply reason. As a result, you are overreacting quite drastically.

  13. #73
    New Member Array vica153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    .......at a school playground (no school day....Sunday)......... I'm unholstering as I get out of the car, about 30 ft from the kids............one of them pulls his hands out of his pocket with what appears to be a stainless semi-auto........... they are airsoft guns
    You pulled your gun on some kids at a playground before ever actually seeing the gun.

    Maybe the situation made you so mad because you were very close to killing some children when you had no reason to.

  14. #74
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,460
    thanks to all for the kind words, but keep in mind thats not why I posted this

    as for:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And soooo...... I'm walking around OC and some sheeple call in ..... and you pull up and I've got a gun on my hip. So ?

    I understand the "pulling part", that's what you are reacting to.... as you don't know what someone will do after that. However, I disagree with your 'almost shooting' part and I HAVE been in those situations. IF they are young, most will not instantly be pulling and shooting. There could be that once in awhile case. Most Juvenile murders are specifically directed at a given person or persons, and believe it or not... do not often carry it over to anyone else. They do not often "run", as they have no place to go and know it and they rarely 'pull & shoot'. Even if they do, they are terrible shots .... LOL. Now, if you were talking a 15-18 yr old, that's a whole different matter.

    I hope you used the words "do not move your hands" and surprising them is not necessarily a good thing at all. You coming out of your car and pulling a gun immediately & pointing it in their direction with no indicated threat ... well.... we could debate that one. You probably scared the heck out of them and aged them 3 yrs right there.
    If OC was legal in Texas I'm sure we'd get these calls from the uneducated, but handling that situation is WAY different than someone seeing a juvie pointing a gun at kids at a park then sticking it in his waistband, then trying to discreetly pass it to another juvie.
    Different calls, will be handled differently.

    OK....you say you understand the 'pulling part' (which I assume means the kid pulling the gun out his pocket) but you disagree with the almost shooting part
    So you think that cops should wait to have the gun pointed at them before they draw or wait until rounds are fired before they shoot? Do you know how many videos we watched in the academy (and you can google) where the cop hesitated drawing because he didn't think it was a real gun, real threat, or thought he'd be ok? Do you know how many cops have been killed because they didn't shoot soon enough, talked/gave way too many commands, etc? I have seen them, studied them, and learned from them. Maybe you should too.
    If he would have pointed the barrel at me I would have fired...period. We can't wait to see muzzle flash then decide ok its time to fire, that equals dead cop. If you think thats wrong then we'll just agree to disagree, but I won't stand for someone pointing a gun at me.

    If you disagree with my 'almost shooting' part you either have ESP, can see the future, or have 30x magnification eyesight that could see from 30ft away that it was not a real firearm.
    Your analysis is great in HINDSIGHT and for studying, but in the real world will get you killed, age is of no consequence....if a 8 year old shoots me or an 80 year old shoots me I'm just as dead. When I see someone producing a gun from their pocket I don't call time out and analyze the situation, I have to make a split second decision based on whats presented, and what was presented was a person with a blank stare on their face pulling a gun out of their pocket when I already had my gun pointed at them about to give them directions.

    If you want to bust my chops for almost shooting then fine, I've taken a lot worse than that before, I really don't care.
    I just won't go out by getting shot by a kid that I thought only had a play gun only to have a muzzle flash be the last thing I see on this earth, and I hope you don't either.

    As you said we could debate all day on whether I should have drawn at all, how I approached, what I said, etc, and I didn't post everything in detail for obvious (I hope) reasons....but it all comes down to I have a job to do....the kids were the ones making the mistakes being stupid. And yes I scared the crap out of them and I hope it saves their life in the future.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  15. #75
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,460
    Quote Originally Posted by vica153 View Post
    You pulled your gun on some kids at a playground before ever actually seeing the gun.

    Maybe the situation made you so mad because you were very close to killing some children when you had no reason to.
    ok, wake up and smell the coffee

    when cops go on persons with gun calls we err on the side of safety, of course I had my gun out, if I'd not had it out and he pulled that gun out of his pocket and it was real I would have been behind the curve.....action beats reaction everytime
    we draw and point our guns at a lot of people quite often, its part of the job and part of our safety

    as for your comment on making me mad like it was my fault or I had no reason.....its almost not worth responding to because you obviously don't get it,
    it made me mad that kids were out doing this to put us in this situation in the first place, as for killing some children when I had to reason to.....when someone pulls a gun on me thats reason enough.....go back and read all the posts in this thread if you haven't already

    do you CCW? do you have the proper mindset to see a threat and react no matter how old they are?
    beautiful blonde babe, 11 year old kid, 70 year old in a wheelchair...they can all kill you just the same, if you don't have this mindset you're not seeing the full picture
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 15 year old shot and killed, looks like he was a bad guy
    By TN_Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 8th, 2011, 11:21 PM
  2. BAD: 21-year-old shot to death in
    By XD in SC in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
  3. 4 year old shot with CCW holders gun
    By GOPony in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
  4. 15 year old shot at hospital
    By buckeye .45 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM
  5. 16 year old BG Shot in Irving, TX
    By Blinky in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: April 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Search tags for this page

babe11year

,

boy getting almost shot

,

boy self sho

Click on a term to search for related topics.