I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is a discussion on I almost shot an 11 year old boy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Leopard125 It is applicable in My opnion, How would you react to someone with a gun at the mail? It's just a ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I almost shot an 11 year old boy

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard125 View Post
    It is applicable in My opnion,
    How would you react to someone with a gun at the mail?
    It's just a question nothing more nothing less.
    Altho I would have figured you would have known better than
    to clear your home alone. So If that bump in the nite would have been
    the 11 YO in question what would have happend?

and no it's not My job to save the world, just Myself and mine.
    It's not applicable...Because the person you asked the question of is not a LEO.

As to my home I did not 'clear' anything.
    What I did was work my way _through_ it to get to and SECURE my family.
    There is a big and significant difference there, which is not at all relevant to this thread here.

And no, I generally would not 'clear' my own home.
    Why do that when I can simply leave it and have police do that high risk job for me?

If that big noise "BOOOM!", not just a minor 'bump', in the night had been an 11 yr. old who had as I suspected been amongst persons who had kicked in either of my doors...He'd have very likely been shot.
    But that too is not at all relevant as that is no where near the situation as is being discussed in the OP (!).

Your question to dude wasn't fair as you changed the parameters of the events as they actually occurred, as you've done here, as they were being discussed.
    He and we, you and me, are not law enforcement officers regardless of whether we all four including the OP are lawfully able to carry firearms.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Zebra, I think some are just trying to flame you, if not they are just having trouble with comprehension. Don't let a couple ruin your day, if your ever in the land of NY I'll buy you a frosty mug of whatever you want.
    +1

If you find yourself in Western MA let me know, I've got apple cider for ya on me...hot or cold.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Is to relevent
    the poster was tring to relate 11 YO to a harmless victim,
    we know that this is not alway the truth.
    Have a nice day.

Administrator

The Reason That I Asked About The Orange Tip

The Reason That I Asked About The Orange Tip is not because I expected the OP (64zebra) to believe it.

I asked because it is against the law to remove the "Blaze" and the parents would be legally liable.

Quote Originally Posted by old south View Post
    If you painted the muzzle of a real gun orange you could get the first shot off.
    What kind of idiot would believe an orange muzzle? Larry

Whew it took a long time to read all 11 pages & iam surprised that after all that some people still just dont get it
    Iam 30 & yes i grew up playing with all kinds of "toy" guns but unfortunately my 2 y/o son & infant daughter wont be able to play "cops & robbers" while running around the neighborhood with "toy" pistols. Due to events in todays society & how people now react to guns (for good reasons i may add) they will not be able to do that.
    Now i do think paintball/air-soft in approved areas is not only good fun for kids but it secretly teaches them some tacticle training.
    I will be (in fact i have already with Caleb) teaching them that gun's are NOT toy's
    I will also be teaching them the importance of firearms & how to handle them safely (because they are not toys)
    I have decided they will not have toy guns until they are of age & have they understanding about the difference between their paintball gun & real ones. Also not to be treating his/her paintball gun like a real gun (i dont want my child being the one in "64zebra"s story). Besides shooting is a good sport for families to be involved with.
    We hope to do a good job with our children & raise them properly regarding firearms.
    All parents must do that especially since how todays society is

Note to "64zebra" dont let people like "monsterbass" get to you, while iam not a LEO i do have people in my family in law enforcement & i do understand that how you react decides whether or not your children grow up with a father/mother. You DONT have time to fully analyze every situation every time nor will you have enough time to react (if your not already prepared too) when you need to save your own skin or John Q's......Good job & thanks
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    I do carry. That doesnt mean i would draw on him.
    The police, in an unknown situation do not have the luxury to base their decisions based as viewed through the eyes of a parent who's own child would never commit an evil act. Or any of the children of their friends.

They respond based on their training. And that training comes from lessons learned through the loss of countless officers lives.

Monsterbass, I have no doubt that your child, or the children of any of your friends would ever present a threat to a law enforcement officer, or anyone else with their "airsoft" guns.

But by the same token, I assume that you have never met an 11 year old killer or rapist in real life before either. I'm guessing you do not know anyone whose 12 year old was an arsonist who burned up 2 playmates in a fire he set to see what it would be like? I'm assuming that your best friend at work does not have a 13 year old son who took an 11 year old into the woods behind his house and caved his head in with a base ball bat because he didn't like the kid making fun of him.

Just because you've never had the opportunity to deal with children who kill or do heinous acts does not mean they are not out there.

Many police officers have given their life in decades past, finding out that the "kid with a gun" did in fact have a real gun and not a toy one when they were confronted by the officer.

It is unfair to chide a police officer for acting the way he has based solely on your own personal experience with the circle of children who surround your own personal life's experience.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I do carry. That doesnt mean i would draw on him.
    What good does your CCW permit do you assuming you have one. I don't believe you do. I guess we'll be reading in the paper about a guy that was carrying with a permit that was shot dead. The idea is to protect yourself and your family. I didn't see anywhere in the testing for CCW that kids pointing guns at you was off limits. If Zebra cant protect himself, hows he suppose to apply the enforcement of the laws on the books? Knee jerk reaction and his instincts kept the kid alive. What if the gun had been real. I'd hope he would have made the decision to still be here with us. I guess your family would be getting the knock at the door. Too bad. If you cant make the decision, why carry?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

64 Zebra ... I am glad the person with the "gun" dropped his weapon and complied with your commands. I am glad you did not compromise officer safety by pre-judging a situation based on the suspects age,race,gender,sexual orientation etc. A person with a gun call is a serious matter and I think you handled it well.
    I have been dispatched to a few similar calls and they can be frightening. My emotions went from one extreme (I am glad I didn't shoot the teenager with the real looking airsoft gun with no orange tip) to (did I cut this guy too much slack because of the age he appeared to be). What I learned was not to discriminate and react to the threat.
    I think you did a great job and If you are ever in California drop me a line and let me buy you a beer.

iM NOT TRYING TO GET UNDER EVERYONES SKIN HERE BUT, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF IF A COP PULLED A GUN ON MY KID FOR PLAYING WITH AN AIRSOFT GUN.
    I'm late to this thread and have only gotten as far as this one but...

ARE YOU SERIOUS???
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper2501 View Post
    I'm late to this thread and have only gotten as far as this one but...

ARE YOU SERIOUS???
    Jumper, that was posted a week ago. MUCH has been kicked around since then, mostly regarding the reasonableness of what an inbound LEO has to contend with in situations where "man with a gun" is the call and someone has a gun in play as the LEO arrives. I would definitely suggest reading the whole thread.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Jumper, that was posted a week ago. MUCH has been kicked around since then, mostly regarding the reasonableness of what an inbound LEO has to contend with in situations where "man with a gun" is the call and someone has a gun in play as the LEO arrives. I would definitely suggest reading the whole thread.
    Great advice.

I usually try to refrain from posting until I've read an entire thread. I'd been tied up at work and hadn't had time to visit for a couple weeks and should have practiced better restraint.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Although I'm very late coming into this thread, and can't comment on kids with Air Soft guns, I remember all too often of seeing an 8 year old girl toss a grenade into a jeep in Nam.
    And it happened more than once, so kids are a danger to all of us just as grown-ups.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

I think all in all, the real lesson to be learned from Zebra is this. If you buy your kids a gun, teach them when, where and how to use it (play or not) so that they learn the correct way to handle a gun from a early age. Parents be responsible and check on the kids, know where they are, who they are with and what they are doing!!! Know who their friends are and be involved with them. Make good memories and hug them every day.

Zebra, you did a good job and it was very good to talk to the parents and the child so that they were educated.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

VIP Member
    I know this is resurrecting a dormant thread....but I had to add an update....

I recently encountered the now 13 year old and his mother while off-duty. I immediately recognized him. No way I'll ever forget his face.
    I casually said hi, and I could see by the look on mom's face she recognized me, but was having trouble computing it all. I assisted her by saying, "the airsoft gun at the school", and her expression changed dramatically as she immediately remembered. She hugged me and the kid shook my hand. They both thanked me.
    OD* and atctimmy like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    She hugged me and the kid shook my hand.
    Another good ending...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links