I almost shot an 11 year old boy - Page 9

I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is a discussion on I almost shot an 11 year old boy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That IS 'as it should be'. Bravo Zulu....

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I almost shot an 11 year old boy

That IS 'as it should be'. Bravo Zulu.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Sounds like the lesson stuck, well done 64Zebra.

And I know what you mean about never forgetting a face, they stick with you, don't they.

Stay safe friend, Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I know this is resurrecting a dormant thread....but I had to add an update....

I recently encountered the now 13 year old and his mother while off-duty. I immediately recognized him. No way I'll ever forget his face.
    I casually said hi, and I could see by the look on mom's face she recognized me, but was having trouble computing it all. I assisted her by saying, "the airsoft gun at the school", and her expression changed dramatically as she immediately remembered. She hugged me and the kid shook my hand. They both thanked me.
    Excellent!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    iM NOT TRYING TO GET UNDER EVERYONES SKIN HERE BUT, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF IF A COP PULLED A GUN ON MY KID FOR PLAYING WITH AN AIRSOFT GUN.
    Wow, is all I can say Monsterbass. Obviously you are not a LEO. I also would have drawn on a kid with a gun. I will go home at the end of my shift, no matter what. An 11 year old with a gun can kill just as quickly as an 18 year old with a gun. How can you say you would be pissed? I would treat a kid with a gun call the same as a man with a gun call. Just sayin'.
    Knute likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sd976 View Post
    Wow, is all I can say Monsterbass. Obviously you are not a LEO. I also would have drawn on a kid with a gun. I will go home at the end of my shift, no matter what. An 11 year old with a gun can kill just as quickly as an 18 year old with a gun. How can you say you would be pissed? I would treat a kid with a gun call the same as a man with a gun call. Just sayin'.
    Any kid? A 3 year old? A 5 year old? 8? 9? What age do you start blasting? I appreciate the specific situation Zebra was in and I don't fault his actions. But, your statement about going home at the end of your shift, "no matter what" is a little disconcerting. You assumed a certain level of risk when you chose to become an LEO. By all means, you should take precaution to minimize the risk when you can, but "drawing down" and shooting first, asking questions later isn't the course of action I would expect for America's police forces.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    Any kid? A 3 year old? A 5 year old? 8? 9? What age do you start blasting? I appreciate the specific situation Zebra was in and I don't fault his actions. But, your statement about going home at the end of your shift, "no matter what" is a little disconcerting. You assumed a certain level of risk when you chose to become an LEO. By all means, you should take precaution to minimize the risk when you can, but "drawing down" and shooting first, asking questions later isn't the course of action I would expect for America's police forces.
    Your statement shows a level of naivete. There's a section of town over the GA state line from me where the kids carry the drugs and the guns (they don't get prosecuted as adults). They'll shoot you without second thought.

Wrong Deuce. We are taught almost from day 1 at the academy that you must always have in your mind, that you will go home at the end of your shift. It is part of the warrior mindset. I would, without any doubt, draw on an 11 year old holding what appeared to be a weapon. No doubt, no hesitation. Until you have spent a few days on the street, dont second guess those who do it daily.
    sigmanluke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Your statement shows a level of naivete. There's a section of town over the GA state line from me where the kids carry the drugs and the guns (they don't get prosecuted as adults). They'll shoot you without second thought.
    I would expect that from them, they're criminals. Again, what age limit do you treat the situation differently. Personally, teenagers would get treated as adults. I think with pre-teens and younger, there should be a certain level of restraint until the situation is further analyzed. Does a 10 year old get shot for the ubiquitous "reaching into the waistband" or do you attempt to figure out what exactly he's doing first? If I'm naive, it's because I expect LEOs to exercise restraint when they can, even if it means increasing the risk to themselves. Nature of the chosen profession.

And nobody said anything about shooting first. Can you honestly tell me you, if you were not a mall ninja, would not draw on an 11 year old with what is possibly a weapon? I never mentioned shooting, however he would have been at gunpoint as I came out of the car if I thought he had a weapon. Had he turned toward me with what I believed was a weapon, yes, it would end poorly.

I would expect that from them, they're criminals. Again, what age limit do you treat the situation differently. Personally, teenagers would get treated as adults. I think with pre-teens and younger, there should be a certain level of restraint until the situation is further analyzed. Does a 10 year old get shot for the ubiquitous "reaching into the waistband" or do you attempt to figure out what exactly he's doing first? If I'm naive, it's because I expect LEOs to exercise restraint when they can, even if it means increasing the risk to themselves. Nature of the chosen profession.
    No, Deuce, the goal is to MINIMIZE risk, not increase it. I have seen ten year olds that looki 14-15, while I have seen 14 year olds that look 10-11. The goal is to MINIMIZE, not INCREASE risk.

And nobody said anything about shooting first. Can you honestly tell me you, if you were not a mall ninja, would not draw on an 11 year old with what is possibly a weapon? I never mentioned shooting, however he would have been at gunpoint as I came out of the car if I thought he had a weapon. Had he turned toward me with what I believed was a weapon, yes, it would end poorly.
    That's unfortunate. I'd say the chances of encountering an 11 year old with a toy gun are higher than an 11 year old with a real gun. In addition, I wouldn't expect a child to have the same comprehension of your commands or the situation as an older teen or adult. By the way, by shooting as soon as you "perceive" a threat, you are shooting first and asking questions later. But, I get it...officer safety and all that. Hopefully you don't get put into that situation.

VIP Member
    well duece, I would say go back and read my OP again and read how I articulated the situation, the way the kids were acting according to the caller, then his facial expression (he had the 1000 yd stare), then him reaching in his pocket with one hand and pulling out a gun when a police officer in uniform is geting out of a marked car

that is way different than a 3 year old playing with a gun

IMO, there isn't some magical age limit or cutoff where one gets treated as a serious threat, etc....its the totality of the circumstances
    I believe what sd976 was saying is that it doesn't matter if its a 10 year old or 80 year old, they can and do, kill people.
    Janq's post in this thread is a great one as a starter reference:
    Janq's post

nobody is saying they will go blasting and ask questions later as you insinuated, what was said is no matter the age....when presented with a deadly threat and the circumstances dictate, then action must be taken, you took it the wrong way
    sigmanluke likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Wrong Deuce. We are taught almost from day 1 at the academy that you must always have in your mind, that you will go home at the end of your shift. It is part of the warrior mindset. I would, without any doubt, draw on an 11 year old holding what appeared to be a weapon. No doubt, no hesitation. Until you have spent a few days on the street, dont second guess those who do it daily.
    You're not a warrior. You're a civil servant. I'm beginning to see the problem here. Maybe you should've joined the Army instead.

VIP Member
    deuce, you don't understand, the warrior mindset is what is taught now to officers to get them to realize when the SHTF they have to be a warrior (not merely a civil servant) to survive, thats it

the only problem here is you don't understand the concept because you're not in the arena, and that's ok, just don't tell people they should have joined the Army when you don't understand
    OD* and limatunes like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    well duece, I would say go back and read my OP again and read how I articulated the situation, the way the kids were acting according to the caller, then his facial expression (he had the 1000 yd stare), then him reaching in his pocket with one hand and pulling out a gun when a police officer in uniform is geting out of a marked car

that is way different than a 3 year old playing with a gun

IMO, there isn't some magical age limit or cutoff where one gets treated as a serious threat, etc....its the totality of the circumstances
    I believe what sd976 was saying is that it doesn't matter if its a 10 year old or 80 year old, they can and do, kill people.
    Janq's post in this thread is a great one as a starter reference:

I almost shot an 11 year old boy

nobody is saying they will go blasting and ask questions later as you insinuated, what was said is no matter the age....when presented with a deadly threat and the circumstances dictate, then action must be taken, you took it the wrong way
    As I posted previously, your actions that day, IMO, were totally appropriate. Given the situation, you did things prudently. My main issue was a subsequent poster's assertion about treating kids as adults. My assertion is that you shouldn't always do that. You should take the totality of the situation into account. It's just unsettling to me that it seems the threat threshold is the same for adults and children. Sure, a child with a gun can shoot you dead just as fast as a grown up, but it's far more likely that there's more to the story when a kid has what appears to be a real gun. I would hope that a cop would take those extra seconds to figure out what's going on before pulling the trigger on a child. Yes, those seconds might increase the risk to yourself but it could be worth it in the end. I guess it's going to be up to individual LEOs to make that determination. Hopefully those situations end as yours did.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links