I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is a discussion on I almost shot an 11 year old boy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is the second time this month an officer on my squad/shift has almost shot a juvenile.....but this time it was me. I was dispatched ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I almost shot an 11 year old boy

VIP Member

I almost shot an 11 year old boy

This is the second time this month an officer on my squad/shift has almost shot a juvenile.....but this time it was me.

I was dispatched to a juvie with a gun stuck in his waistband, but was also waving it at kids at a school playground (no school day....Sunday).
    As we get there the caller gives us a location where the kid went. I pull around and see both kids from the call. I park so as to use my car for cover if need be and I'm unholstering as I get out of the car, about 30 ft from the kids. One has an almost blank stare on his face and as I am raising my gun at them and giving a harsh command to get their hands up in the air, one of them pulls his hands out of his pocket with what appears to be a stainless semi-auto......and instantly drops it to the ground. I almost shot him.....was dreadfully close. I got them proned out and other officer gets there and we approach seeing they are airsoft guns.
    We proceed to:

to say I was mad doesn't even come close
    we each take one to their prospective homes and I talk to the mom of the one I almost shot, very supportive (dad, grandad, and uncle all retired LEO) she takes up the butt chewing where we left off, then I add on my own personal lecture to the kid (don't think has dad in his life) I let him know I played with toy guns, and I learned to shoot when I was five, but he has to realize why I did what I did and that he can't go walking down the street like he did because people will call in (unfortunately its not the same as when I grew up). With his face twitching, hands shaking, voice quivering, and eyes flowing tears like a hurricane he expressed that he understood and I'm pretty sure he got the hint.
    I didn't let on to the kid or mom what I was feeling but lets just say after leaving the house I had to stop a few blocks away to sit for a few minutes, do some more combat breathing, and take a drink before going back to my previous call.

People......if you have kids (or know of some) that have airsoft guns PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE educate them on proper use and that they can't be paraded around and shown to friends in public like this. Times have changed since we grew up and until some of our society's views on guns in general change for the better people will call in on this stuff and responding officer's are caught in the middle.
    We don't know if the gun is real or not.....this one sure did look it and I've been shooting/around guns for well over 30 years now. We don't know if the kid just killed his parents and is out roaming around, we don't know if he is just got his dad's gun out of the closet and is now going to take care of the kid he had a fight with, etc etc etc etc etc.....
    Just as I told the kid....I'm going home to my family. If I wait to see a gun pointed at me and try to determine if its real or not then I'm dead.....and I won't stand for that. Please educate the kids before another horrible tragedy takes place.
    Thank you.
    LenS, Doodle and CountryGal like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The kids in my town are playing airsoft all the time. Nobody even gives them a second thought anymore. They are a good group of kids, they dont cause any trouble besides the twits that call once in a while about the neighborhood being invaded by an army of camo clad jr high students.

Each one of them knows how and what to do if approached by us, we had an informal meeting with the kids and their parents back when airsoft became popular. They have been really good about following the "rules".

I know it doesnt change much in your situation, I've had close calls too. There is a cops kid who runs around with a airsoft gun in his pants (not a part of the other group). This kid is a turd in every sense of the word, his parents make every excuse for him. I ran into him one day, I knew who's kid he is and he had the airsoft gun in his pants. I had no idea it was an airsoft at the time, his dad thought it was a good idea to get him the exact replica that his agency issues. I thought he stole his dads gun. He proceeded to tell me that he didnt need to drop do what I told him, as his dad was a cop. He quickly found out otherwise, and we are still fighting the rest of that battle today.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Just curious.
    Did the Airsoft have the Blaze O Tip or had it been removed?

AKA - ALL AIRSOFT GUNS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE THE TIP 1/4 INCH OF THE BARREL PERMANENTLY COLORED BY ORANGE BLAZE.

BTW Glad that everything ultimately worked out OK.

Damn Zebra that coulda been real ugly mentally
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Things sure have changed. When I was a kid it was common for kids to run around with BB/pellet guns shooting at ever thing in sight.

Now when I see kids playing with plastic toy guns I get an uneasy feeling mostly because of what 64zebra just posted about.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Why would you shoot an 11 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    YOU NO READ??
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    YOU NO READ??
    I dont know why you would draw on an 11 year old boy when some sheeple calls in and says some boys are carrying guns!!!!!!!

VIP Member
    really?.....you have to ask this question? did you read my entire post ?

I almost shot him because I thought he was producing a real gun from his pocket as I made contact with him. It doesn't matter how old or young.

dukalmighty.....yes.....would have been real bad....thats why I had to take a break for a couple minutes

QK....no orange tip.....mom took care of the pistol, he no longer has it

Sixto....we have some kids that play and cause no problems too, I think the big issue here is it was broad daylight, walking down street in a really nice neighborhood and they were displaying it in a manner that wasn't good, pointing at other kids, sticking it in the waistband and trying to look like a gangsta
    We do Eddy the Eagle programs at the schools but I went to the Crime Prevention office and the Public Information Officer to tell them what happened so maybe we can get one of the TV stations to do a story on it and publicize it a bit.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty

Senior Moderator
    To stay alive.

A kid can kill you as dead as an adult.

I dont know why you would draw on an 11 year old boy when some sheeple calls in and says some boys are carrying guns!!!!!!!
    Because kids can and do kill adults.
    It's really not hard to understand.

A kid walking though a field carry a .22 rifle is one thing.
    A kid toting a handgun in his waistband at a school and waving it around is another.

Yes it sounds terrible. I can imagine how 64 Zebra felt and I sympathize with him. The potential of that situation would suck in the worst way, even if it was justified it would be a no win situation for all involved and it would be a tragedy.

and the world continues to get crazier by the day.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    really?.....you have to ask this question? did you read my entire post ?

I almost shot him because I thought he was producing a real gun from his pocket as I made contact with him. It doesn't matter how old or young.

dukalmighty.....yes.....would have been real bad....thats why I had to take a break for a couple minutes

QK....no orange tip.....mom took care of the pistol, he no longer has it

Sixto....we have some kids that play and cause no problems too, I think the big issue here is it was broad daylight, walking down street in a really nice neighborhood and they were displaying it in a manner that wasn't good, pointing at other kids, sticking it in the waistband and trying to look like a gangsta
    We do Eddy the Eagle programs at the schools but I went to the Crime Prevention office and the Public Information Officer to tell them what happened so maybe we can get one of the TV stations to do a story on it and publicize it a bit.
    You said that you pulled out your gun and told them to raise their hands. You probably scared the hell out of them. I would drop whatever i was holding as well.

iM NOT TRYING TO GET UNDER EVERYONES SKIN HERE BUT, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF IF A COP PULLED A GUN ON MY KID FOR PLAYING WITH AN AIRSOFT GUN.

VIP Member
    You said that you pulled out your gun and told them to raise their hands. You probably scared the hell out of them. I would drop whatever i was holding as well.
    he pulled the gun out of his pocket as i was stepping out of the car and raising my gun. I had my sights on him as he was dropping it. If the barrel had turned to me I would have shot. I wasn't just holding it, he reached in the pocket and then pulled it out.

Yes I scared the heck outta him.....I'm glad I did, he learned a lesson that may have saved his life.
    I told him after the fact that I'd rather him just raised his hands and then got down like I instructed, then we could take the gun away from him instead of him reaching in the pocket and producing it the way he did.

I hope you are never encountered by a juvie with a real gun and the last thought that goes through your mind is "ahhh, its just a play gun" BANG
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    iM NOT TRYING TO GET UNDER EVERYONES SKIN HERE BUT, I WOULD BE PISSED OFF IF A COP PULLED A GUN ON MY KID FOR PLAYING WITH AN AIRSOFT GUN.
    not getting under anyone's skin, we're just educating from the viewpoint of our job

If your kid was doing as these kids were doing I'd hope you would get pissed off at the kid not the cop that was just doing their job. The kid screwed up here not me.
    Momma was appreciative of me, thanked me for the job we do, and made the son apologize to me.

I had a deputy pull his pistol on me one night after he pulled me over, it was my actions that made him do it. I have nobody to blame but myself for making him do it. Same as this situation.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

Well i am glad for the outcome and i do realize that kids can kill. It just seems to me that especially in spokane where i live, the cops are a bit trigger happy. Im sure you have heard the stories. This country is definitly not the same as it was when most of us were kids. ITS A DAMN SHAME!!!!!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links