Call 911 and ????

This is a discussion on Call 911 and ???? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What was the name of that book, I haven't read it yet, but heard it' worth reading. Sounds like a prime example to me. http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/10/cal....ap/index.html ...

Thread: Call 911 and ????

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Call 911 and ????

What was the name of that book, I haven't read it yet, but heard it' worth reading.

Sounds like a prime example to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/10/cal....ap/index.html

A little boy called twice, and was told by the operators to quit playing on the phone.

Fieger said he plans to file the wrongful death lawsuit against the city of Detroit on Monday.

I'm no attorney, but I think Precedence was set long before now.

This lawsuit is probably D.O.A. For the little boy, I hope it's not.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

That was on the news this morning...

Kid's lawyer was there with $$ in his eyes...

The kid will never have to worry about $$ or education again.

They played the tape in question...The operator was way out of line.

Where I'm from the police will show up on a 911 hangup or even if you accidentaly call and tell them not to show up(somehow i pulled that off awhile back). Then again I'm not from detroit.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    I can't speak to their specific policy, but here, even if we think it's a prank call, if we can't get an adult on the phone, police get the call.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

This is a serious problem. 911 should take every call as life threatening and let the cops handle the bad apples. The problem is Fieger. His presence on the case makes it seem cheap and money hungry.

Lead Moderator
    I've been watching this one since it hit the news, and in this case I DO think this kid deserves everything any lawyer can get for him!

The whole situation is just unthinkable!! I sure hope that the operator or operators are now unemployed.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    We just recently had a news report that said in my area, thousands of 911 calls were unanswered last year.

It makes me think that I ought to buy a gun.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Even if the kid had been playing on the phone, why would she not send an officer over to tell him its not ok to prank call 911. Here in Edmond, if you call 911 no matter what happens police will be at your house shortly. Hang-ups, kids, it does not matter. I feel horrible that the boy will have to live with the loss of his mother for the rest of his life, when he did exactly as he was taught, HE CALLED 911. I guess its true that common sense is not so common anymore.
    Curry

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I have a feeling, this case will bring to light what a whole lot of people thought was their saving grace, is actually a defunct system.

How many fence sitters do you think this will sway?

I'm not trying to totally trash 911, I think it's a pretty good system and It's better than nothing, and a whole lot more than what a lot of other countries have, but it's not the end all of protection and security a lot of people would like to believe.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    I'm not so sure there are fence sitters, or not many. And the anti's will pay no more attention to this tragedy than they will any other facts. They are emotionally geared to getting rid of guns, and will rarely be influenced by truth.

I've known a couple of good dispatchers, but by and large: those who can-do; those who can't-dispatch. About as useful as Poison Control telling you to, "Put a great big dollop of butter on that deep burn, 'fore them guys in the truck git there."

Links