Arlington Cemetery

Arlington Cemetery

This is a discussion on Arlington Cemetery within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is very disappointing that the government can't do better by those who have given everything for this country. I hope when this thing gets ...

Thread: Arlington Cemetery

Thumbs down Arlington Cemetery

It is very disappointing that the government can't do better by those who have given everything for this country.

I hope when this thing gets aired out fully some folks heads will roll.

Sadly, Arlington's internal problems have materialized on the grounds themselves. Despite nearly 10 years and countless dollars spent on computerizing its operations, the cemetery still relies mostly on paper burial records that in some cases do not match the headstones. "There are numerous examples of discrepancies that exist between burial maps, the physical location of headstones, and the burial records/grave cards," the cemetery admitted in a 2008 report to Congress.

And in a relatively remote area of the cemetery, where 600 service members from Iraq and Afghanistan are laid to rest, personal mementos placed on graves are left out to rot in the rain for days, ruined by workers with power washers, or thrown into a trash bin.
    Grave offenses at Arlington National Cemetery | Salon News
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I hope they get things straighten out up their.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Typical government boondoggle. Are we surprised?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Typical government boondoggle. Are we surprised?

Mel
    No I'm not surprised. They probably cut the cemetery's budget only to spend that money on going into outer space or some crazy thing like that.
    SCGunLover1

Two words for figuring out how to create a map of burial plots:

GPS

Quote Originally Posted by IADC43 View Post
    Two words for figuring out how to create a map of burial plots:

GPS
    Well one would think, but they have spent about 10 million dollars on a system that still doesn't work. Apparently there are some family or friendly ties to the folks developing the system. While other larger private cemeteries already have software that is on the market doing the job for them. We can't purchase working software to use on a gov program, don't you folks know that.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If they cannot organize dead people, how are they going to organize SICK people?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very sad. Something that's so filled with traditions and respect they can't even get it right.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

It can't be terribly difficult to build a server with an API that interacts wth a decent DB with fields for names, service, barcode/sn, and GPS coordinates. It's outrageous that they've spent millions with nothing to show for it. I know guys that could do it for next to nothing. Classic Government work.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    It can't be terribly difficult to build a server with an API that interacts wth a decent DB with fields for names, service, barcode/sn, and GPS coordinates. It's outrageous that they've spent millions with nothing to show for it. I know guys that could do it for next to nothing. Classic Government work.
    exactly, in this age of technology there is absolutely no excuse for not having all this integrated into a computer system and GPS
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    exactly, in this age of technology there is absolutely no excuse for not having all this integrated into a computer system and GPS
    and not for $10million either! A coworker and I BUILT a system like this from COTS parts and our own code from scratch for tracking our equipment. The entire system is east/west coast redundant and the server hardware ran us around $6k total if you count original cost(but we had extras laying around).The only field we're lacking is for the GPS coordinates. We just use a combination of region/building/room codes and serialized bar codes for each item. At any given time anyone with access can hop on our little web page and see where everything is located and/or when it was moved and by whom.

These kind of stories just burns me up. What were they doing with all that money?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Arlington National Cemetery is maintained to very high standards. From the last funeral that I attended there, it is extremely busy right now and I get the impression that it is a struggle to perform all of the services currently being requested.

Technically, I am amazed that something like Google Maps with street views can't be performed, so people can walk a virtual tour of the cemetery and link to data about our best. The technology exists but there just does not seem to be the motivation.

As to why our tax dollars may not be used wisely at places like Arlington National Cemetery, here is a link to a news article on where Dianne Feinstein fits into all of this:

News & Culture in CA | Dianne Feinstein: A Question of Ethics

Links