Piracy On The High Seas....still A Problem

This is a discussion on Piracy On The High Seas....still A Problem within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; US yacht said attacked by pirates off Yemen http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...TES.xml&rpc=22 ROME (Reuters) - A U.S.-flagged yacht with three people aboard was attacked by pirates wielding rocket ...

Thread: Piracy On The High Seas....still A Problem

Piracy On The High Seas....still A Problem

US yacht said attacked by pirates off Yemen

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...TES.xml&rpc=22

ROME (Reuters) - A U.S.-flagged yacht with three people aboard was attacked by pirates wielding rocket launchers off the coast of Yemen, the Italian Coastguard said on Sunday after an Italian freight ship reported a distress call.

"Around 9.45 a.m. (0745 GMT) an Italian container ship, the Jolly Platino called to say it had heard an SOS message from an American sailing vessel, the Tir Na Nog," an official from the Rome headquarters of the Coastguard told Reuters.

The Italians informed U.S. authorities in the region of the incident which happened some 25 miles off the Yemen coast. The official said two U.S. and one Dutch military vessel in the area had been told of the attack but he did not know how any rescue attempts were progressing.

Commander Jeff Breslau, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet based in Bahrain, said: "Coalition forces are investigating the incident." He gave no further details.

In Aden, an official at Yemen's coastguard said he did not have any information about the incident, adding that it had occurred outside the Arab country's territorial waters.

Yemen shares territorial waters with Somalia, whose coastal waters have become among the world's most dangerous in the 14 years the country has lacked a central government.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

I once was paid to write an article for a now defunct survival magazine (American Survival Guide) on security at sea. Sailing vessels are typically owned by type "B" personalities. These folks refer to power luxury vessels as "stinkpots" and they don't like the urgency associated with those trappings. This usually means that this type of individual is less likely to have firearms aboard. Not always, though. I used to sail the Bahamas with my best buddy and his dad (now deceased) and the old man kept a 375 H&H Magnum aboard along with a mini-14 and several 1911 45's. He called the H&H his engine room gun because with it he might be able to disable the engine of an attacking vessel. They liked having me as crew because I could do double duty as security.

Sailboats are much easier to board (vessel to vessel) even in a running sea as the hull design is displacement and thus makes the process smoother. Sailboats typically have lower gunwales (pronunced gunnels) which means they sit lower to the water. Swimmers can sometimes board these types of boats while they lay at anchor. That's one reason I no longer sail the Carribbean area and neither do my friends. We're all too paranoid about this stuff. Worse, sometimes the worst piracy happens at the hands of governments sailing under color of law. Both the Cuban navy and the Haitian navy have been known to pull off these types of attacks. Think about it: The value of the electronics alone is many times the combined pay of the sailors in those services. Private enterprise at work. Kill all aboard after raping the women and strip the boat or sell it to the dopers for use as a cargo vessel. Either way, it gets sunk eventually. Another victim of the Bermuda Triangle. It's not fantasy. I'll bet a good portion of the disappearances for the last 100 years are due to piracy.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    I understand this type of attack is on the rise these days. Thought it was most prevalent off the coasts of Southeast Asia.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Exclamation Arrrrgh Hoist the Jolly Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    I understand this type of attack is on the rise these days. Thought it was most prevalent off the coasts of Southeast Asia.
    Here's the place to track the incidents on a global scale:

http://www.icc-ccs.org/prc/piracyreport.php

Thanks for the info guys.
    I'm planning on delivering an 87' Chinese Junk to Thailand for a major refitting, and expect some trouble along the way. Will probably be heavily armed for the trip, just in case.

Wes.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia Wes
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I'm planning on delivering an 87' Chinese Junk to Thailand for a major refitting, and expect some trouble along the way. Will probably be heavily armed for the trip, just in case.

Wes.
    If I was you, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment to contact the special forces or SEAL retirement associations and hire a few recent retirees as crew. I kid you not. They might even be able to drop a "little birdy" whisper into the ears of buddies still on active duty of their presence in the area for that slightly quicker backup...well...maybe. But it couldn't hurt.

erh
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    If I was you, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment to contact the special forces or SEAL retirement associations and hire a few recent retirees as crew. I kid you not. They might even be able to drop a "little birdy" whisper into the ears of buddies still on active duty of their presence in the area for that slightly quicker backup...well...maybe. But it couldn't hurt.
    I agree w/ this statement on General principle however; Drop a Dime near the USCG High Endurance Fleet Folks.... (Doin' it on a daily basis..!!) One thing many times said "5 below the waterline'll cure it fo' sho'..!"
    (erh)
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Just an "amateur's" perspective, but it looks to me like most of the piracy incidents in the Caribbean are drug related. Boats taken for one-time use as disposable transport. The original crew usually killed and dumped, not held.

The same thing is, as it has been for many years, going on in other parts of the world. But it seems that a definite rise in Islamic Extremist involvement in these occurrences is being ignored by media and government, alike. Terrorist raising money by drug trade is nothing new. But, the connection isn't being publicly made.

Why, I have NO idea.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Here's the place to track the incidents on a global scale:

http://www.icc-ccs.org/prc/piracyreport.php

Great site, thanks.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links