Cleaning an M16 in the field

This is a discussion on Cleaning an M16 in the field within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty Thats great til your buddy slaps ya on the back and you swallow those parts and gotta wait for mother nature ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning an M16 in the field

Wink Ummmmm NOPE

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats great til your buddy slaps ya on the back and you swallow those parts and gotta wait for mother nature to call before you can "look" for them
    In my experience, NOBODY ever slapped me on the back as the platoon leader. Not even my E-7 platoon sergeant or the Company First Sergeant. Holding the firing pin retainer pin in my teeth was a good way to keep it secure. PLUS I always carried a few others in a small plastic bag that sealed.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    In my experience, NOBODY ever slapped me on the back as the platoon leader. Not even my E-7 platoon sergeant or the Company First Sergeant. Holding the firing pin retainer pin in my teeth was a good way to keep it secure. PLUS I always carried a few others in a small plastic bag that sealed.
    As you can tell I was joking,they should issue xtra small parts in the cleaning kit,When I served we had M16A1's that like the M4 had no trapdoor in the buttstock for a cleaning kit,that little pin can be hard to find even on a dark background
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wink Troops....

As you can tell I was joking,they should issue xtra small parts in the cleaning kit,When I served we had M16A1's that like the M4 had no trapdoor in the buttstock for a cleaning kit,that little pin can be hard to find even on a dark background
    Yup, but it reminds me of a funny story. My first night with my first active duty unit, I did a night familiarization fire with the old 1st Gen starlight scopes (HUGE honking things) while wearing protective masks and other MOPP gear. So I'm waiting in the bleachers to shoot, haven't even really MET my platoon yet and yet they're all around me and nobody knows NOBODY in MOPP. No rank even visible even if it weren't dark as death. So I "inserted myself" into a conversation with the troops. They were cranky about training so I knew they were happy 'cause silent troops REALLY ARE angry troops! They were bragging about everything from female conquests to next promotions and speculating about senior ncos and officers.

So I piped up about my hopes for promotion:

"Gee I'd like to make captain in record time!"

"Yeah RIGHT!" they howled.

"Dunno why not .... I'm ALREADY a Lieutenant!"

I never saw a single area of a BLEACHER empty so fast in all my life! But we got along and my guys really saved my wet behind the ears newbie behind several times! Mostly because I knew my NCOs had tons more experience than I did and I wasn't embarrassed about asking for advice. In fact, I discovered my old college buddy was the S1 Personnel Officer over at the 2nd Ranger Battalion. I knew that the Rangers were always sent for about six months to the 9th ID to detune them for eventual discharge. So I arranged with the two S1's for me to get EVERY Ranger being discharged over the next year. Soon I had a real professional platoon of serious killers. All troops who knew the woods all over Fort Lewis like the back of their hands, blindfolded. My guys once left a note dangling in front of the nose of a snoozing major general still in his M151 quarter-ton "Jeep" which read: "You've just been RECONNED by the GHOSTS from 2nd Platoon. You're lucky we weren't after SCALPS!" Sheeeesh what a bunch of wild-men.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My guys once left a note dangling in front of the nose of a snoozing major general still in his M151 quarter-ton "Jeep" which read: "You've just been RECONNED by the GHOSTS from 2nd Platoon. You're lucky we weren't after SCALPS!" Sheeeesh what a bunch of wild-men.

Getting a bit deep in here isn't it?

Lightbulb No bull

Quote Originally Posted by treo View Post
    Okaaaaaaayyy

Getting a bit deep in here isn't it?
    No bull, it really happened. Ask OPFOR if the Rangers aren't really capable of doing that stuff. This is an outfit that was BANNED from the European continent in the 1980s for STEALING live WAR PLANS from a HQ building thinking they had to have been part of an exercise because the OP was so easy. Every person in Delta force started as a Ranger. I myself didn't make it thru Ranger school because I was injured (busted a leg and had no time to recycle). There are plenty of Rangers on this forum. Are you an army vet?

Wink Came back later to BITE me....

Quote Originally Posted by treo View Post
    Okaaaaaaayyy
    That little stunt came back to BITE me a year later when the General in question was flushing out the Division for his staff and I got pulled up there to fill the bill of Assistant Plans & Ops in the G-4 (Logistics) His secretary told me that the epiphany came like this: "Who should we snag? HEY! Remember that LT (pronounced ELL TEE) whose guys hung the note on your jeep?" Proving no cool deed goes unpunished.

Are you an army vet?
    Yes I am and I'm just jerkin' your chain

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    There are plenty of Rangers on this forum. Are you an army vet?
    We use to mockingly refer to our company as "The lost Ranger Bat." because our CO made us MARCH to every training exorcise while the rest of the battalion rode.
    The same CO triggered a congressional investigation when his driver got permanent nerve damage to his feet on a cold-weather exorcise while he slept in a heated tent.
    This was back post Dessert Storm, pre-Clinton.
    11M. 4th ID, 11/90 - 12/92.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Thats great til your buddy slaps ya on the back and you swallow those parts and gotta wait for mother nature to call before you can "look" for them
    thats great luckly i have never had that happen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links