AF Basic question for a friend

This is a discussion on AF Basic question for a friend within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got a friend that is fixing to enlist in the USAF AD and was wondering if anyone can fail the obstacle course and fail basic ...

Thread: AF Basic question for a friend

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

AF Basic question for a friend

Got a friend that is fixing to enlist in the USAF AD and was wondering if anyone can fail the obstacle course and fail basic because of this and what is the BEAST the thing that replaced warrior week like.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    ?????
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I went to Marine boot camp, not AF Basic, but I think in this matter, it should be the same. If you failed a physical test or went overweight, you were sent to pork chop platoon. When you met the requirements, you joined up with a platoon that is in a phase where you left off. If you failed a segment of training, you were dropped back a week to a platoon behind and you repeated the training. You can't really fail out of boot camp/basic...you'll just keep getting dropped back until you do make it. I knew a guy who was in boot camp for 9 months!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

It's been a while, but if I recall correctly if you failed the obstacle course in BMT you re-ran it again that week. If you failed it again, then you were washed back into another flight.

Unfortunately we haven't heard much about the BEAST yet, probably should go talk to some of the new airmen, see what they say about it.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

When I went through in 1984 a one arm one leg blind man could pass. The AF course was not anywhere near as hard as the others services. Tell your friend to relax and do the best he can.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

The AF has a warrior week?? What that like?? Force feedings at the chow hall? A week with no TV? Having to park your car over 100 feet from the "hotel??" Not being able to show up for formation in bunny slippers??
    LMAO!!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I went to Marine boot camp, not AF Basic, but I think in this matter, it should be the same. If you failed a physical test or went overweight, you were sent to pork chop platoon. When you met the requirements, you joined up with a platoon that is in a phase where you left off. If you failed a segment of training, you were dropped back a week to a platoon behind and you repeated the training. You can't really fail out of boot camp/basic...you'll just keep getting dropped back until you do make it. I knew a guy who was in boot camp for 9 months!
    Yup, that is pretty much it, for the Corps at least. Can't comment on the BEAST thing, maybe they are trying to make it like the Crucible? But you sign a contract for a period of time, and the military is going to try to get their time. I think the max time someone can spend at Marine boot camp is 12 months, if you can't make it through by then, they give you and administrative seperation. I'm sure whatever the AF equivalent to a DI is, will make it their mission to make sure your friend can pass the obstacle course if he has problems with it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Forty years ago, the Navy had the idea that those that had stupid bodies that couldn't pass swimming tests just needed extra instruction. Since the day was already fully scheduled, swim EI was held before everyone else got up. Getting up at o-dark thirty in Newport, Rhode Island, in the winter to go swim and be back on the company deck before reveille is a great motivator. The guys with stupid bodies in our company learned to jump off the tower and swim the minimums in two or three days.

I'm not familiar with the beast but yes, If you manage to fail it twice, then you get washed back 2 weeks. The course was easy. It's staying awake that was hard.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Forty one years ago Air Force Basic Training was a joke, the obstacle course reminded me of a miniature golf course...you didn't even have to climb the forty foot tower if you didn't want to, though everybody usually did.

Basic training was I believe eleven or twelve weeks long. If you were a lard butt, or too skinny they had a MREP flight. You did nothing bu PT until you met minimum requirements and then place into a training flight.

Actually those guys were in pretty good shape by the time they returned to a training flight. I can't believe it can be more difficult now.

The only people I saw wash out were medical problems.. had a guy in my flight that had a heart attack and he was only twenty one

I went through basic at Amarillo AFB, maybe it was different at Lackland.

In defense of the Air Force...almost every airman ends up working in a technical field that doesn't call for much martial or physical training

When I went through AF BMT in 1984, it was, for me, a rather easy 6 weeks. The "Confidence Course" (they were already getting PC - couldn't call it an obstacle course) was simply FUN, not hard. If he's in decent shape, it should be a cakewalk, unless things have seriously changed since then.

And I don't remember any "warrior week"

BTW, if you want some info about the BEAST, just google 'air force beast'

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I know a big change recently was that airmen in basic now actually had to carry rifles. Only they're not real ones, they're rubber chickens.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    You might want to have your buddy take a look at the online version of the Air Force Times (free to access online). There have been several articles written about the changes in basic and many, many, many (see a pattern?) Letters to the Editor addressing it in the Opinions section.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    In defense of the Air Force...almost every airman ends up working in a technical field that doesn't call for much martial or physical training
    Except that the Army's a little short-handed right now, so you have Airmen and sailors driving in convoys and doing other jobs the Army can't do--thus driving the changes to basic training (at least on our side).
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Links