Need some input...sticky situation...

This is a discussion on Need some input...sticky situation... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So here's the deal. I just PCSed to TX in July. They told me that NY needed me there, and that in about a year, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some input...sticky situation...

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Need some input...sticky situation...

So here's the deal. I just PCSed to TX in July. They told me that NY needed me there, and that in about a year, I'd have to PCS there.

I was talking to one of the other guys in my shop, and he said that after 1 year of PCSing, they can ASK me to go somewhere else, but they can't actually make me until after 2 years. Any truth to this?

I hate NY with every ounce of hate I have. I love TX, was born and raised here, and plan on dying here. If what my buddy said was true, then it seems like they were going to ask me to go to NY by telling me I had to, and just not tell me I have the option to say no.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

That's my understanding, but if you don't want to go, they may not allow you to re-enlist if you are interested.

Not exactly sure how they are doing things these days. I've been out for about 25 years now.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    There may be a way to stay, but if they really need you youre going.
    The golden rule of Military Service, get it in writing, but even thats not certain.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'll have to do some more research...I'm not planning on reenlisting...I'm pretty sure after 10 years, I'll be done, but I don't want to shut that door if I need it open. At the expense of having to go to New York though, not sure if it's worth it.

Moving all the time is the only thing I hate about being in the military.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

After ten years it's a down hill slide. Just don't crap in your nest. You're halfway to having a steady ammo / hobby income. If Uncle needs you somewhere you will go there. NY while not TX is still better than some of the holes that have a gate shack. The way things now are in such a state of flux you may even work you way in to an "Other than honorable" so tread lightly. Even a general discharge can get you disqualified for some things.

Best of luck and thanks for hanging in there so far!

How about volunteer for a short tour with a CONUS follow on? Might get you out of going to NY

Call your monitor or whatever it is called and ask whats up. Read up on the current policies and request mast/see the CO.

I had to raise the BS flag a couple of times while I was in, got a few "you are not part of the team" looks from higher ups, but got to stand my ground and they eventually PCSed/PCAed so who cares if they got grumpy. I would definetly speak up and formally make known your desires not to PCS. Probably just not to deal with the reports generated with the mast thing you'll stay where you are for a year or so longer and some other "yes man" will get sent to NY.

Just make sure you have some sort of valid issue (read backed up by Directives/Policies/etc) when raising the BS flag. I.E. PCS Policy is for moves every 3 years and you are moved every 1 year, you are good to go to complaint Vs policy states PCS every 3 years and you've been there for 5 years and you start complainning that you want to stay longer - thats just being an AHole.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Where in NY?
    It makes a difference. down state and upstate/central/northern NY are drastically different.
    I hate the politics, taxes and snow pf Central NY myself, but it's a whole lot more tolerable to NYC and that whole area.
    Do some research, even PM me with questions if you like. It may be slightly more tolerable than you're thinking.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

It is my understanding that to PCS at less than 2 years a 2 star has to sign off on it. There is a lot of cost involved in moving Soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Seamen around and if they want you in New York in a year why did they move you to Texas this year. It would have been better to extend you in place or move you to New York now. Unless you are in a very small MOS/AOC it will be pretty hard for your career field manager to explain why you need to move evry year.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Where in NY?
    It makes a difference. down state and upstate/central/northern NY are drastically different.
    I hate the politics, taxes and snow pf Central NY myself, but it's a whole lot more tolerable to NYC and that whole area.

+1

Lots of great hunting, fishing and good people in NY..

bosco

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Yeah bosco, I can't see me ever LOOKING to move back there, but Upstate/Central as a temporary career stop isn't all that bad.
    NYC, or near it though...no way in heck.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Where in NY?
    Do some research, even PM me with questions if you like. It may be slightly more tolerable than you're thinking.
    Western New York (Buffalo area) gets a bad rap due to weather, lack of jobs, etc, but it's not really as terrible place to live as some want you to believe. Check it out . . . you might like it?
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I left the Buffalo area 16 years ago and the only thing I miss about Western NY is the weather...I enjoyed the mild summers and snow in the winter (all the snow is in the southern tier and not Buffalo). I still go back every now and then to visit family but I can only handle a few days up there as it is a very depressing area.

Can't you call your detailer and find out if they need you somewhere else. You should have a career counselor to talk to. That would be a better opion than talking to a buddy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

call branch see what they say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links