Open Letter to LEO's.

This is a discussion on Open Letter to LEO's. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; eagle thanks but i fell i have the unfair advantage with the weapons we care i know some of you CO are unarmed right? plus ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: Open Letter to LEO's.

  1. #16
    Member Array Damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cottonwood AZ
    Posts
    94
    eagle thanks but i fell i have the unfair advantage with the weapons we care i know some of you CO are unarmed right? plus i wear tons on body armor lol so again thanks but as someone who deals with the scum of the earth when am not at war and then deal with ........well you know when am here ,its very rare we get a chance to thank ARE HERO's lik LEO's,CO's the patriotic american Fire Fighters ,and EMT's as well as all of you that look out for are families when we cant so i say to you my friend THANK YOU

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,756
    Here I go... I don't know what sparked all this, but here are my thoughts regarding this thread. First, I'm not going to kiss any body's backside and blow sunshine where sunshine doesn't normally get to.

    CO and LEO are closely related, yet very different. The two are not interchangeable. I'm not going to say one is better than the other, because they are not. But, while in some cases it might be technically true, a CO is not an LEO.
    Now let me give an example; If I hold a doctorate degree, and go around telling people I'm a doctor, most people would assume I'm an MD. But my doctorate is in basket weaving... yes, I'm a doctor, but I'm not a doctor. It would be wrong of me to answer the call of "Is their a doctor in the house". We all know that would be referring to an MD.

    Now, there are some CO agencies that have some bad arsed dudes that roam the streets with badges and guns, much like an LEO. They are in fact LEO's. However, their main purpose is fugitive apprehension or similar mission, not enforcing or investigation of crime as it relates to society on a whole. They do that sort of thing, but its on a different level. Crimes against the state vs. crimes against society.

    Again, I mean to stir no pots or create bad feelings. I'm not saying that Co's are lesser than Leos. I do prefer to call a spade a spade though. And Co's job is not the same as an LEO.

    And a CO claiming to be an LEO might be technically correct, I think it also might be a little misleading without the big picture.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  4. #18
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    But, while in some cases it might be technically true, a CO is not an LEO.
    That same attitude was evident a few years back when people of color were considered 7/10 human.

    Let's just say some of us in the LEO profession are tired of being considered the Redheaded Step Child. If that hurts sensibilities, too bad. We didn't ask for our backside to be kissed, only to be given the same respect by those on the street as we give you.

    Biker

  5. #19
    Member Array Oaklands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    87
    Yours is a tough job but it sounds like you are the type of person who can handle it. Like many specialized jobs, not everyone can do it. Thank you for what you do.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

  6. #20
    VIP Member
    Array TX-JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Again, I mean to stir no pots or create bad feelings. I'm not saying that Co's are lesser than Leos. I do prefer to call a spade a spade though. And Co's job is not the same as an LEO.

    And a CO claiming to be an LEO might be technically correct, I think it also might be a little misleading without the big picture.
    Now it's my turn... Sheriff's departments in TX are responsible for the county jail/corrections facility, the county courts, as well as patrol/investigative divisions. Everyone starts in the county jail. Some have been to the academy and are LEO's, some are jailers, some are waiting to go to the academy, they all perform the same function working in the jail. While not as hardcore as the prison system, it has it's similarities. I did my time there years ago, I wouldn't want to go back and work in one again. I don't know if Sixto ever worked in a jail/corrections environment, but it sounds like he hasn't.

    He's correct, a CO's job and an LEO's job are very different. The CO's job is much harder. CO's are stuck in a certain area or one place throughout their shift. They are typically unarmed, tremendously outnumbered and know that there is a much greater chance of being injured or killed. They know everyone around them (convicts) would just as soon kill them as talk to them. They also know if they are taken hostage, chances are they won't survive. While there is downtime during their shifts, they are in fact locked up just like the convicts, everyday.

    LEO's out on the street are free to move around anywhere in there area. They are free to use cell phones, run personal errands, go to eat where they choose, etc... Whether they're answering calls, running traffic, working accidents, investigating burglaries, homicides, assaults, or sitting doing paperwork, LEO's have a lot of down time during their shifts and a lot of freedom. Any LEO who says different, isn't being truthful with themselves. An LEO's job can best be described as "hours of mind numbing boredom, interspersed with moments of sheer bedlam".

    Both jobs are tough, I've done time doing each, and I'd pick being a street cop LEO, as opposed to being a corrections LEO... I wonder why???

    IMO, anyone who has been through an academy, passed his licensing exams and been issued an LEO license is an LEO. Kudos to you BikerRN and all the others out there, you're an LEO in my book...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

    Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

  7. #21
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,756
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    That same attitude was evident a few years back when people of color were considered 7/10 human.

    Let's just say some of us in the LEO profession are tired of being considered the Redheaded Step Child. If that hurts sensibilities, too bad. We didn't ask for our backside to be kissed, only to be given the same respect by those on the street as we give you.

    Biker
    While I don't think the 7/10ths human thing really fits the argument, lets explore that a little bit. How did the black people overcome that? They proved themselves to be a important part of society, embraced both the differences and similarities they had with the white society. They created and expanded their own niche into the American culture. They didn't claim to be European Americans. No, they said we are African Americans. Different, yet equal. To say there are no differences between those two would be ignoring an elephant in the room. ( Why people try so hard to ignore the elephant is a whole other topic)

    I guess what I'm trying to say is, why not have pride in what you actually are and do? Nobody is saying that a CO's service to society is less than that of an LEO. There is a distinction in the job title as well as the job description. I guess we can start calling firemen LEO's too, they enforce some laws. As does the coroner. Should we call the coroner an LEO?

    I'm not going to go around and call myself a CO. I guess I could though, I hold that certification from the state, and I transport prisoners to and from jail. They are also in my care for a few hours sometimes at our holding facility.

    There is no disrespect meant in my posts. None. There is no way I would do the CO's job. I couldnt, and wouldnt; and that is the reason I never was a jailer of any sorts. Its not my cup of tea. Good thing it iis yours though, lord knows we need you.

    To be honest, I have no idea why this is such a hot button issue or even an issue at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  8. #22
    Senior Member Array Katana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Clarksville,TN
    Posts
    1,104
    I've just got a very short, yet hopefully insightful reply to this topic. I've worked every side of law enforcement short of being an attorney(I've been a jailer, a road deputy, a 911 dispatcher, and a CO, in that order), and I've got to say that if I do decide to go back into LE, I'm going back to dispatch.

    Trust me when I say I've got nothing but respect for those who wear the badge. No matter what it says on it, it's a damn tough job. I've been there, done that, got the scars to prove it. Those who work the inside and the outside both deserve equal respect, but for different reasons.

    Sixto, BikerRN... I don't know your personal beliefs, nor do I care. If this next statement offends you, just know it was made in only the highest of regards : God bless and keep you both, and stay safe guys.

    And always remember this - You may know who you are and where you're going, God may know who you are and where you're going, but if your dispatcher doesn't know who you are and where you're going, I hope you and God are on real good terms. (Ok, I'm just trying to lighten the mood here.)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

    Μολών λαβέ!

  9. #23
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    While I don't think the 7/10ths human thing really fits the argument, lets explore that a little bit. How did the black people overcome that? They proved themselves to be a important part of society, embraced both the differences and similarities they had with the white society. They created and expanded their own niche into the American culture. They didn't claim to be European Americans. No, they said we are African Americans. Different, yet equal. To say there are no differences between those two would be ignoring an elephant in the room. ( Why people try so hard to ignore the elephant is a whole other topic)

    I guess what I'm trying to say is, why not have pride in what you actually are and do? Nobody is saying that a CO's service to society is less than that of an LEO. There is a distinction in the job title as well as the job description. I guess we can start calling firemen LEO's too, they enforce some laws. As does the coroner. Should we call the coroner an LEO?

    I'm not going to go around and call myself a CO. I guess I could though, I hold that certification from the state, and I transport prisoners to and from jail. They are also in my care for a few hours sometimes at our holding facility.

    There is no disrespect meant in my posts. None. There is no way I would do the CO's job. I couldnt, and wouldnt; and that is the reason I never was a jailer of any sorts. Its not my cup of tea. Good thing it iis yours though, lord knows we need you.

    To be honest, I have no idea why this is such a hot button issue or even an issue at all.
    Granted, we are different, but not as different as you seem to think.

    You work an area on the street. I work an area that is really like a town unto itself. We have our own store, barber, luandry, plumbing, etc, etc. It's like a town inside whatever town the institution is set in.

    I am not ashamed of what I do, but I am tired of being told to sit at the "back of the bus" by those that have no idea what it is I and fellow Correctional LEO's do.

    To use your analogy, I guess a CPA that has arrest powers and spends his or her career investigating Insurance Fraud, and suffers nothing more dangerous than a papercut isn't a LEO either. Funny, in my book he or she is a LEO, but maybe not in your's.

    Now if you want to count court time, I'm getting that too. Yes, I'm involved in cases that are going to court, and no, I'm not the victim. I provide part of the prosecutorial puzzle to gain a conviction, just as you do.

    I guess if I'm going to be an elephant I may as well fart and clear the room. Sixto, you didn't influence this thread's start but people that focus on the differences lose sight of the similarities, as I fear you may have.

    Now I may be dating myself a bit, but I can remember signs saying "White's Only" when I was growing up. Today that is not the case, thank God. Much to your dismay, most likely, CO's will be considered LEO's without a question in years to come. I used that analogy because I felt it fitting and was trying to show how stupid the CO's are not LEO's menatlity is in my book, just as the "people of color are only 7/10 human is stupid.

    Someone questioned my integrity and honesty, because I dared to call myself a LEO. That is what started this thread. I am a LEO. Maybe I have a different perspective, but it is still a LEO perspective, and I really dislike having my honesty questioned by those that are not in the know.

    Biker

  10. #24
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    I did not know that some states did not consider their CO's to be LEO’s. I can only say that CO’s should have full LEO status in every state and jurisdiction; anything else is totally WRONG.
    Biker: I am glad that people like you exists. Thank you for doing your job!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  11. #25
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Granted, we are different, but not as different as you seem to think.

    You work an area on the street. I work an area that is really like a town unto itself. We have our own store, barber, luandry, plumbing, etc, etc. It's like a town inside whatever town the institution is set in.

    I am not ashamed of what I do, but I am tired of being told to sit at the "back of the bus" by those that have no idea what it is I and fellow Correctional LEO's do.

    To use your analogy, I guess a CPA that has arrest powers and spends his or her career investigating Insurance Fraud, and suffers nothing more dangerous than a papercut isn't a LEO either. Funny, in my book he or she is a LEO, but maybe not in your's.

    Now if you want to count court time, I'm getting that too. Yes, I'm involved in cases that are going to court, and no, I'm not the victim. I provide part of the prosecutorial puzzle to gain a conviction, just as you do.

    I guess if I'm going to be an elephant I may as well fart and clear the room. Sixto, you didn't influence this thread's start but people that focus on the differences lose sight of the similarities, as I fear you may have.

    Now I may be dating myself a bit, but I can remember signs saying "White's Only" when I was growing up. Today that is not the case, thank God. Much to your dismay, most likely, CO's will be considered LEO's without a question in years to come. I used that analogy because I felt it fitting and was trying to show how stupid the CO's are not LEO's menatlity is in my book, just as the "people of color are only 7/10 human is stupid.

    Someone questioned my integrity and honesty, because I dared to call myself a LEO. That is what started this thread. I am a LEO. Maybe I have a different perspective, but it is still a LEO perspective, and I really dislike having my honesty questioned by those that are not in the know.

    Biker
    I do not have time right now to comment your ad because I have to work, but I can tell you that I totally agree with everything you say. Once again, thank you for doing your job!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,406
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

    Someone questioned my integrity and honesty, because I dared to call myself a LEO. That is what started this thread. I am a LEO. Maybe I have a different perspective, but it is still a LEO perspective, and I really dislike having my honesty questioned by those that are not in the know.

    Biker
    No matter what they call you, you do a tough and dangerous job. In addition to physical danger corrections works takes a toll on your psyche. I know because I have a brother who was a CO until burn-out caused him to decide to give it up. I guess it's the every day, all day close proximity to some of the lowest scum of the earth.

  13. #27
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,756
    Biker, again, I mean no disrespect. None at all.

    I'm just trying to point out that there are differences, and that is why there are different titles.

    And the CPA thing; the key is that they spend their career investigating crimes and making arrests. Their profession is now in LE, not accounting. It would be correct for them to say that they are LEO. They just have a specialty, as do you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  14. #28
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    I work with deputies and corrections officers all of the time and they are, without a doubt, very different jobs. COs are, though, sworn officers just like our deputies and are considered LEOs here in our county. Whether "officially considered" to be LEOs, you should be proud of what you do just like street cops. This is a historical argument that will never be resolved here....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  15. #29
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,025
    IMO, anyone who has been through an academy, passed his licensing exams and been issued an LEO license is an LEO. Kudos to you BikerRN and all the others out there, you're an LEO in my book...
    Quote: TX-JB

    BikerRN,
    I can't ad anymore to that, EXCEPT
    Thanks for letting us relative newbies know; it gives me/us a perspective on why you, sometimes in your posts sound a bit callous.
    You most certainly see much of the worst society has to offer, and I wonder how you maintain your sanity.
    I for one salute you, as well as all the other honest, down to earth people in the WHOLE Law Enforcement Cluster Bleep, we call our judicial system.
    You people definitely do a thankless job under conditions that are seemingly horrendous at best
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  16. #30
    Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    1,772
    I kinda to have to scratch my head a bit to figure out what the issues really are, here. "LEO" is a pretty big umbrella, the way I see it. "Police" is a more specific term, for a more specific job, under the LEO umbrella. FBOP guard is a specific job, and I see no problem with it being under the LEO umbrella. I have a cousin and a son working for the FBOP, and have no problem considering them to be LEOs. IMHO, Texas state COs are not nearly up the level of professionalism as the FBOP, and I think TDCJ COs are not really LEOs. (My cousin and son both worked for TDCJ before working for the FBOP.)

    I wear a badge for a big-city PD. Some who work for other entities, such as federal investigative agencies, may look down on me, as I am "just a city cop." I could, in turn, see "special agents" as accountants and lawyers with badges, while I am the "real police," not so specialized, able to do it all, from working a major freeway wreck, to a domestic violence incident, to mediating an ongoing neighborhood problem.

    Really, we are all playing a part, in public service, to make this world a better and safer place.
    Last edited by Rexster; November 7th, 2009 at 03:43 AM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. ATF open letter to Industry - re: frames and receivers
    By AKsrule in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
  2. Texas Open Carry Letter to reps!
    By mp45fan in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
  3. An Open Letter To The Pro-gun Community
    By mrreynolds in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Search tags for this page

atf leo open letter

,

ncis juristdiction

,

opem letter to leos 2nd

,

prisons are gladiator schools

Click on a term to search for related topics.