Open Letter to LEO's. - Page 4

Open Letter to LEO's.

This is a discussion on Open Letter to LEO's. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ibesarcasm Ok..... just a quick question to all the "Police Officers" Since we can't really define LEO at this point because everyone ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: Open Letter to LEO's.

  1. #46
    Senior Member Array Vaquero 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    Ok..... just a quick question to all the "Police Officers" Since we can't really define LEO at this point because everyone has a diff. opinion.......

    Do you have persons working in your facility..... SO, PO, Trooper....whatever, that are SWORN officials, but don't go out on patrol?

    I believe the diff. you all are talking about is sworn Vs. civilian......... and to hear most "police officers" speak, they would not consider Border Patrol, Air Marshals, Customs Officers for ICE, Marshals, DEA, ATF, ECT, ECT a "real" officer. In the Federal sector the only "position" that has a wide arrest athority is a person working in a "1811" criminal investigator position. All others have SOME sort of restriction put on them.
    So bottom line is, how many "police" officers have responded to crimes on federal property? Military Posts? National Parks? and do you have juristdiction on those propertys? You might assist.....but are you the athority?

    We all have diff. positions, and we ALL have diff. jurisdictions. Bottom line is that a Federal Correctional Officer is just that.....a Federal SWORN officer.....we fall under Title 18 of United States Code. My .02.......
    The bottom line is, when someone posts something as an "LEO", it is generally considered information coming from a Law Enforcement Officer. That does not encompass correctional employees in the general sense of what defines an LEO to most people. COs go to work, and when they are done, they have no arrest authority or police powers. Some county sheriff's departments are different, and use actual deputies in their jails, but as far as I can discern, BikerRN is claiming to be some kind of federal LEO.

    If BikerRN offers his opinion of what he would do "as an LEO" if he witnesses a violent crime happening off-duty, wouldn't it be logical that he actually COULD act as an LEO in such a scenario? If his mystery federal department that he works for SPECIFICALLY prohibits him from acting in an official capacity off-duty, then why would he give his opinion "as an LEO?" Off duty, he is no more of an LEO than Kermit the Frog.

    Look....this is getting rather silly. If BikerRN needs to be called an LEO in order to be a full human instead of 7/10ths, then fine. I think that by now, everyone realizes that he is a corrections employee of some sort. He can call himself Superman, for all I care. After all....it's the internet.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.


  2. #47
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    The bottom line is, when someone posts something as an "LEO", it is generally considered information coming from a Law Enforcement Officer. That does not encompass correctional employees in the general sense of what defines an LEO to most people. COs go to work, and when they are done, they have no arrest authority or police powers. Some county sheriff's departments are different, and use actual deputies in their jails, but as far as I can discern, BikerRN is claiming to be some kind of federal LEO.

    If BikerRN offers his opinion of what he would do "as an LEO" if he witnesses a violent crime happening off-duty, wouldn't it be logical that he actually COULD act as an LEO in such a scenario? If his mystery federal department that he works for SPECIFICALLY prohibits him from acting in an official capacity off-duty, then why would he give his opinion "as an LEO?" Off duty, he is no more of an LEO than Kermit the Frog.

    Look....this is getting rather silly. If BikerRN needs to be called an LEO in order to be a full human instead of 7/10ths, then fine. I think that by now, everyone realizes that he is a corrections employee of some sort. He can call himself Superman, for all I care. After all....it's the internet.
    In the bold you are wrong, maybe in your area you are correct but here were are certified peace officers with arrest powers.

    And to some point you are right, who cares what everyone thinks, at the end of the day it does not change a CO's pay grade.

    A man secure in himself does not need to be validated by anyone.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  3. #48
    Senior Member Array Rotorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SurfCity
    Posts
    541
    I think some folks here are missing the point. Sometimes it's not what you say, it's what you don't say that's important when you are trying to create a perception in peoples minds.
    Here's my example:

    I work for an organization that directly supports the Department of Defense.
    I am bound by reams and reams of federal regulation and oversight.
    I am armed on duty and am required to have a badge but I do not have arrest powers.
    My organization historically is a primary target in times of war,
    I do not wear a "uniform" on duty.
    I have the authority to "terminate" hostile or uncooperative people.
    The last aircraft I was aboard was a C-17, I sat in the cockpit yet I am not a member of the USAF.
    My prior military experience could be classified as "security".
    In the past I have had contact with the FBI, DCIS, ARMY CID and NCIS.
    I've assisted the USDOJ.
    I've "assisted" foreign militaries who share the same interests of the United States.
    I've done a little "work" for the Border Patrol.

    Pretty interesting stuff….so what do I do?

    No….I'm not some sort of "special agent" in some secret Government organization.
    I'm a manager at a company that makes military and aerospace parts. Everything I said above is 100% true but when you only say the "what" without the "why" it's very easy to craft a persona that may leave a reader with a very different perception of who you are.
    I've followed this one from the start so I know how it got started and why. It's not about the "technical" differences between a CO and an LEO. I think we all read posts from Law Enforcement Officers a little more closely and perhaps take the message from them a little more seriously because they are the guys on the street that are more likely to face an armed assailant.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I had always read Biker's posts as if they were being written by someone employed as a US Marshal, FBI Agent, Treasury Agent or some other Federal "cop-like" occupation. Obviously Biker knows his stuff as his posts are very well written and he has some great insight to how things work. I'm going to assume he never had any intention of misleading folks and continue to enjoy his posts.

    Cheers!

  4. #49
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    I'm going to assume he never had any intention of misleading folks and continue to enjoy his posts.
    My intention was never to mislead.

    No, I do not need validation by the forum, or anyone else for that matter. I am pretty darn sure of who I am, and what I am about. I do however resent the implication, by certain people, that I am lying or being less than truthful.

    You will notice that throughout this thread, or any other, that I've never named what agency I work for,. I do know that I have some paperwork somewhere that says something like, "Federal Law Enforcement" or some such though.

    I am of the school of thought that a person is defined by their job. Yes, there are other factors that make up the whole person, but their job plays a big part in their self identity. When I was a C.O. I was a C.O. and that was how I identified myself. If you don't believe me, just ask any cop, baker, fireman, attorney, nurse, etc, etc. Uncle Sam seems to think I am a LEO of some sort, and since Uncle gives me my paycheck, with that federal classification of LEO, not Agent, I am not lying when I say I am a LEO.

    Call it what you want, I'm done.

    Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; November 9th, 2009 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo

  5. #50
    Member Array DaveT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    480
    Metro 40 hit the nail right smack on the head.

    I'm still trying to figure out why this thread was posted in the first place......

    5 pages for a squabble ?

    It's a sure sign winter is approaching.

  6. #51
    Member Array TapRackBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    432
    I have the authority to "terminate" hostile or uncooperative people.
    Sometimes my knucklehead partner is uncooperative..can you terminate him????

    In fact I have a list of uncooperative people..and since you have a license to kill...we should hook up...

    yeah..I know "terminate" means to fire them...hey a guy can dream can't he..

    Oh sorry back to thread...

    Why on earth would you post on GlockTalk..and why bring that mess to this thread..

    I ordain you LEO...can we get on with our lives now..
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

  7. #52
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,323
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why this thread was posted in the first place......
    Because some revel in personal jabs and thinking the worst of folks, in spite of what they say or do, in spite of their situations. The Sunday morning crossword puzzle-itis with some folks, I figure. Something to do.

    Pretty simple, really, given some other, recent discussions questioning things.

    Pathetic that it's necessary to defend against such comments. Went through this, myself, some weeks ago, swatting the poor and hateful assumptions that were clogging the entire discussion. It is what it is, such comments (and people). In my situation, it was that idiots were assuming I would do the same thing as someone with whom I was empathizing in an attempt to understand the motivations. In this case, folks are assuming he's other than he is, where the ignorance prompts some to fill in the blanks with their own low opinions of others, or worst-case claims.

    BikerRN: Suggestion for future. Some will take the bait and run with it waaaaay beyond where you're prepared to go. That's a fact, and it can't be avoided. "They" are out there. All things considered, it's probably not worth posting such things that can be taken as signs of weakness by the weak-minded. In that sense, such a thread simply opens you up for prodding and jabbing and poking (however minor), without solving anything. Food for thought.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #53
    Senior Member Array Mardet65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio vicinity
    Posts
    773
    Speaking for myself, I have no lack of respect for CO's and give you credit for doing a job many people would not do. I speak from some little experience having done a short stint working a brig aboard ship as a Marine and having been activated with the NYANG Security Police during the Attica Prison Guard Strike of 1979.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

  9. #54
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    My intention was never to mislead.

    No, I do not need validation by the forum, or anyone else for that matter. I am pretty darn sure of who I am, and what I am about. I do however resent the implication, by certain people, that I am lying or being less than truthful.

    You will notice that throughout this thread, or any other, that I've never named what agency I work for,. I do know that I have some paperwork somewhere that says something like, "Federal Law Enforcement" or some such though.

    I am of the school of thought that a person is defined by their job. Yes, there are other factors that make up the whole person, but their job plays a big part in their self identity. When I was a C.O. I was a C.O. and that was how I identified myself. If you don't believe me, just ask any cop, baker, fireman, attorney, nurse, etc, etc. Uncle Sam seems to think I am a LEO of some sort, and since Uncle gives me my paycheck, with that federal classification of LEO, not Agent, I am not lying when I say I am a LEO.

    Call it what you want, I'm done.

    Biker

    You may have taken me wrong, just saying you should not have to explain yourself to those who question you.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. ATF open letter to Industry - re: frames and receivers
    By AKsrule in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
  2. Texas Open Carry Letter to reps!
    By mp45fan in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
  3. An Open Letter To The Pro-gun Community
    By mrreynolds in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Search tags for this page

atf leo open letter

,

ncis juristdiction

,

opem letter to leos 2nd

,

prisons are gladiator schools

Click on a term to search for related topics.