My Sheriff has a Clue

This is a discussion on My Sheriff has a Clue within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With jump in home invasions, sheriff plans on hosting armed home defense course Comments 3 | Recommend 0 November 07, 2009 11:21 PM Jared Taylor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Sheriff has a Clue

My Sheriff has a Clue

With jump in home invasions, sheriff plans on hosting armed home defense course
    Comments 3 | Recommend 0
    November 07, 2009 11:21 PM
    Jared Taylor
    The Monitor
    EDINBURG — Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Treviño says he has always been a proponent of home defense.

With that in mind, as well as a jump in home invasions against unsuspecting residents, the sheriff said he plans to launch a series of classes for the public to learn how to arm themselves and defend their families and property.

“If you’re going to buy a gun, well, by God, I want to make sure you know how to use it and abide by the law,” Treviño said.

With just less than two months left in 2009, deputies have investigated 37 home invasions this year — already a 16 percent jump over all of 2008, according to Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office statistics. More than half of those incidents this year were not drug- or gang-related.

“They’re just John Q. Citizen having dinner and the door gets kicked in,” Treviño said. “That has presented to be a problem because they’re harder to track down.”

Those home invasions are tougher to investigate because the victims don’t know their attackers or why they were targeted, the sheriff said. Victims who have ties to drugs or gangs can often identify the suspects or give other possible motives for the attack.

The much-publicized pseudo-cop home invasions — where attackers dress like and identify themselves as police — have doubled this year in the sheriff’s jurisdiction. But with only four home invasions classified as pseudo-cop incidents, the low numbers make it difficult to draw valid statistical conclusions, Treviño said.

“When you’ve only had two (in 2008) and it goes to four (in 2009), it’s not that significant,” he said.

The Sheriff’s office’s clearance rate for home invasion cases was not immediately available, but Treviño said his rate exceeds the national average for robberies, which stood at nearly 27 percent in 2008, according to FBI Uniform Crime Reporting statistics.

Still, the increase in home invasions targeting people with no apparent ties to crime remains a concern, the sheriff said.

Two recent victims with no gang or drug ties said deputies advised them to consider purchasing a gun to defend their homes.

Treviño has said he can’t confirm that advice was given but said he believes the free home defense course could help educate those who want to defend their families and property with guns.

The classes would include a prosecutor from the Hidalgo County District Attorney’s Office to explain the state’s “Castle Law,” which gives people the right to use deadly force against an intruder inside their house under certain circumstances. Other topics would include how to secure homes against intruders and how to set up neighborhood watch organizations.

Participants would also have the chance to bring in their guns with their own ammunition for inspection by deputies, who would make sure the weapons are not stolen. Deputies would then take participants to the gun range to improve their aim.

The classes are expected to start in January, the sheriff said. They will be open to all county residents who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The classes are closed to undocumented immigrants, who cannot legally own firearms.

Even apart from the increase in home invasions, Treviño said, “there’s quite an awareness now of gun ownership. People are wanting to defend themselves and there is a need for it.”

____
    I think this guy has his stuff together,too bad a lot of other LEO's think the opposite
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

This sheriff is a wise man...an armed society is a polite society. Texas does a lot of things correctly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Excellent to hear. I hope this catches on.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member
    Kudos to the sheriff for doing something to help the citizens... and to the DA for getting on board with the program...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thumbs up

A Texas Ten Gallon Hats Off to your sheriff. I hope this gets lots of news coverage and several positive letters to the area newspapers.
    Maybe we can get a trend going here.

Hats off to the sheriff!

The scariest part of this article is the home invasions with perps dressed like cops.

That's good to know! Very smart man indeed. This would actually conserve resources for the local law enforcement. Less man hours investigating/taking reports, less red tape, fewer unsolved cases, less demands from the public, etc....
    Teaching the law abiding citizen about home defense and the law, and how to do things right the first time should narrow things down to one single call, and one report after things are done. It should also gain financial ground for the county as far as funding jail projects, and meals, and keeping the worthless criminals off the streets. Once they see the money savings here, they may want to hire an extra coroner for the county. This just makes simple sense all around while soliciting the citizen to be more dependent on themselves. This in turn makes the law enforcement in the area proactive instead of reactive. I think there are a lot more places around the country that could follow this lead if they would just man-up and do what's right and best for everyone instead of worrying about re-election. After all, it's going to benefit their community, and on the bottom line, it will affect them personally.

VIP Member
    Need more like him elected all over the country.

Don't wish for it -- work for it.

Grassroots do work.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Believe me 20 miles from Mexico is like living in a whole nother country down here,Illegal aliens commit major crimes down here and then flee back into mexico before they get caught,usually before the cops even get started on the crime scene.But this type of pro SD training should be provided everywhere in the USA,I guarantee you that criminals would be a lot less quick to attack anybody,heck they might even get real jobs since their life expectancy would greatly decrease
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wished all the sheriffs in Texas or around the nation would set up this type of program. It would be great for community and Law Enforcement relations. And probability make the LEO's work easier as they would know more citizens and maybe find new folks they can trust in a tight situation.

Very glad your Sheriff is being so pro-active! Sounds like a good program that should be accepted by lots of other Sheriff's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Many folks with CHL or CCW tend to avoid LEOs, as they see them as in some way as the problem to their right to be armed. At least in my area, I have found LEOs are very pro CHL, and seem to not be very concerned that folks are carrying as long as they obey the law. I know a good many county deputies and they know I carry and we pass and by pass and while not the best of friends there is a respect.

The program the sheriff in south Texas has started would lead to better community and LEO understanding and respect and maybe take away some of the standoffishness almost fear in some folks with CHLs and LEOs.

As to the government knowing that I own firearms well if you have a CHL or CCW they have a good idea you did not get the CHL or CCW to be able to through the plastic card at the BG.

As to teaching the general public how to shoot, if I were a LEO and working with gun safety and marksmanship training for the general public getting to know who is in the homes and streets I am responsible for would be a help if I had to come to the aid of someone I know and had trained to protect themselves and families.

Maybe this kind of program would brake down some of the wall between law abiding citizen and LE, and give both a greater respect for one another.

I simply add my ATTA BOY to this "HEADS UP SHERIFF.

The course sounds a lot like the NRA "Personal Protection In the Home" course.

Puffer

This also serves a greater purpose....It sends a very public message that the populace is arming themselves, and could very well be making the burglars victims...and the Sheriff and DA are supporting them. Should decrease the attempts by a lot.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I used to live in Edinburg. Good story--solid move by the Sheriff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links