A Proposed Solution to Fort Hood

This is a discussion on A Proposed Solution to Fort Hood within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see no reason why every (or almost every) NCO and officer shouldn't be required to carry while on duty. Even if this were limited ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Proposed Solution to Fort Hood

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I see no reason why every (or almost every) NCO and officer shouldn't be required to carry while on duty. Even if this were limited to officers and NCOs who had a minimum of 4 years in service it would still be better than what we have now.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

You can still smile, but you damned well better profile!

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I always thought we as service members should receive better firearms training and be armed ALL THE TIME.

There was an episode of NCIS where Ziva visited an Military base and she could not undestand why our Armed Forced weren't Armed.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I just posted about this and have been thinking about it, ever since I joined the military. If a solider is licensed in his bases state to be CCW, then why not? Especially in todays war against terror, I feel that as long as a solider is properly trained, he should be able to carry when on post or off post in uniform. Of course this my opinon only, so the next question is how do we try to change this?

Would pushing the NRA to give some exposure to the isssue be a way to get the issue out in public, or at least a larger subpopulation of it?

I'll admit that I wasn't really aware of the military's bases being gun free zones. I knew there were no guns at that the facility where the killings happened at Ft. Hood. But, I didn't realize this was a broad condition in our armed forces, and it's ridiculous. Thanks for the discussion on this thread...now I know.

Coltrane59,

That may be an idea worth looking into, but I am not sure how much pull the NRA would have with the Military.

Still, it is worth a shot, I suppose.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I Think I'm going to print that out and mail it to them, excellent ideas. Hopefully they will adopt some if not all of them.

Tom j.

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane59 View Post
    I'll admit that I wasn't really aware of the military's bases being gun free zones ... it's ridiculous.

Insanity: the blind faith that disarmament of victims ahead of the crime can result in anything other than more victims.

Criminal: combining insanity with public authority to make entire populations defenseless in the face of crime, effectively clearing the path for criminals from the inside.

Hm. One would think that's almost sufficient to clear the benches, DA offices and legislative seats of all the chaff, so that the wheat can grow again. Trouble is, they're the ones institutionalizing the insanity and criminality. Where's a good political jack hammer when you need one?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

People control not Gun Control

The FACT that our society has devolved into this hand-wringing shell of what was once America is the result of People Control. Liberty means Freedom From. Freedom from oppression. Freedom from being silenced or shouted down. Freedom from being threatened or coersed into surrendering our rights. No government wants a populace armed equivalent to itself. The US Founding Fathers understood that the key to Liberty MUST be held by the People. This is why they feared standing armies and instituted the 2nd ammendment. The 2nd ammendment protects the first; Freedon of Speech, Assembly and Worship. These 3 things remain good markers for the amount of Liberty one may be enjoying at any moment. Do we not have to "watch what we say" for fear of offending certain groups? Why do we have to ask permission to gather for a public airing of grievances? Lastly, has Religion itself not become a blending of white noise with no moral absolution, where right and wrong are judged by community standards rather than principle?
    American soldiers are citizen soldiers and just like thier civilian counterparts they are not trusted by those in charge to provide for themselves, to know what is thier own best interest even is.
    When the citizens of the United States understand that we can not abdicate our individual responsibility for protecting our Liberty to any higher authority, this will again be a Free Nation.

Well said.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links