Sad; but it was bound to happen

This is a discussion on Sad; but it was bound to happen within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stupid kids....when will they ever learn!!! NYPD Cop Shoots Teen in Face After He Pulled Pellet Gun Saturday, November 07, 2009 NEW YORK A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad; but it was bound to happen

Stupid kids....when will they ever learn!!!

NYPD Cop Shoots Teen in Face After He Pulled Pellet Gun

Saturday, November 07, 2009

NEW YORK A police detective shot a New York teen in the face Friday night after he pulled a realistic-looking pellet gun during an argument in the Bronx.

Police say 15-year-old Marcus Bonner was hit in the cheek, but survived. He was hospitalized in stable condition.

Authorities say a group of officers were conducting an undercover drug operation when they spotted the teen threatening a group of rival youths with the gun.

The officers chased the teen and confronted him. Police say Bonner was shot when he reached for the gun.

They didn't find out after the shooting that the weapon was a fake.

The shooting was one of two by police on Friday. A man was wounded by an off-duty officer in Brooklyn after he allegedly tried to rob him at gunpoint.
    GLOCK G22 (duty weapon)
    GLOCK G27 (on duty backup and off duty EDC)
    SIG SAUER P6
    KELTEC P11
    "Because homeland security begins at home"

JD
    Administrator
    Play with fire....

I disagree.

The firearm was a 'weapon' albeit not at all "fake".
    Rather it was very real as to the view and mindset of those he had been witnessed victimizing as by intimidation. As to the officer who made a good and proper decision to shoot, to stop. And stop is what he did.

A pellet gun is not "fake".
    A pellet gun can permanently maim and disfigure humans.
    A pellet gun can kill humans.

A pellet gun is a gun.

Source - Boys Take Revenge With Pellet Gun

Frankly I would have shot the boy too, had me or mince been victimized in front of my own eyes.

- Janq

P.S. - I have a Crosman manufactured Walther branded P90C Compact CO2 powered BB pistol that I use for training hen at home in my backyard. I bought it OTC from Dick's on sale for $65 marked down from $100.
    It looks _exactly_ same as the real thing. It even uses a magazine and has a blowback slide as when fired, like the real thing.
    One would be very hard pressed to tell it from the real thing as viewed under high noon direct sun never mind at night.
    It is a _gun_ and as such is locked up when not in use treated same as any other.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Totally agree! That whole "fake" comment in the reporting smacks of ignorance, and perhaps a little propaganda.

The kid screwed up big time, and he is lucky it didn't cost him his life.

As a kid I was shot in the hand with a pellet gun and had to dig out the pellet before my parents found out that we had a gun. If I had been shot in the eye, temple or other unprotected vital areas it would have taken a lot more than a bunch of band aids.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

P.S. - I have a Crosman manufactured Walther branded P90C Compact CO2 powered BB pistol that I use for training hen at home in my backyard. I bought it OTC from Dick's on sale for $65 marked down from $100.
    It looks _exactly_ same as the real thing. It even uses a magazine and has a blowback slide as when fired, like the real thing.
    One would be very hard pressed to tell it from the real thing as viewed under high noon direct sun never mind at night.
    It is a _gun_ and as such is locked up when not in use treated same as any other.
    I didn't know you could train a hen. Do they lay an egg on command

The officer did what he HAD to do when someone goes for a gun...fake or not...no way to tell...no other choices.
    I feel no pain for the stupid kid, and he got the trouble he started. He's lucky to be alive.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This was only step 1

Does anyone doubt that he was heading toward doing the same thing with a "real" gun (where bullets rather than BBs fly out). The only reason this wasn't "real" was he couldn't get his hands on one.

Maybe learning incurred. Hopeful his parents can pay his medical bills so I don't have to.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The boy nearly suffered from a terminal case of dumb *****! Talk about a "teachable moment."

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Maybe learning incurred. Hopeful his parents can pay his medical bills so I don't have to.
    I hope you are right. Of course, that hope and change thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Bloomberg will twist this and use it for fodder. The kid will be held out as the "victim" and the pellet gun will be vilified. Bloomberg is a schmuck!

VIP Member
    too bad, but that old he should know whats coming when reaching for what an officer will deem to be a threat to his life

I'm still thankful I didn't have to pull the trigger on the kid pulling his airsoft gun from his pocket a couple of months ago
    this just brought that back fresh on my mind again
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

GM
    The teen has to be glad that he is still alive. The police officer did nothing wrong. I am sorry for the teen, but he asked for it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

As far as the teen goes... My sympathy gauge is on empty! Fresh out of sympathy. He actually deserved to get shot!

I only hope the cop knows that as well and has no lasting effects from his ordeal.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links