Why can I not carry concealed in Uniform or on Post? - Page 4

Why can I not carry concealed in Uniform or on Post?

This is a discussion on Why can I not carry concealed in Uniform or on Post? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is very true, however when you go ON post to go to work, you can not carry, I do not wear my uniform OFF ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    That is very true, however when you go ON post to go to work, you can not carry, I do not wear my uniform OFF post when not in route to and from work.
    My Guns:
    Taurus PT 145 Pro .45 ACP
    Taurus 24/7 Pro C .9mm
    Glock 26 .9mm
    Diamonback DB380 .380 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by ethorman View Post
    That is very true, however when you go ON post to go to work, you can not carry, I do not wear my uniform OFF post when not in route to and from work.
    Most bases (posts) do not allow possesion of a weapon on them, if you cant even bring it on base why would you worry about CCing to and from work?

Most bases/post that I know of allow POW (privetly owned weapons) on them, however you must register them and follow the guidelines for them.

Even if the bases and post that you know of don't allow weapons on them, why not and what can we do to change that, do you think that will stop the BG from comming on there if they really wanted too?
    My Guns:
    Taurus 24/7 Pro C .9mm
    Glock 26 .9mm

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    Ahh, drinking was involved! Maybe the problem is not that that service members are somehow less able than civilians to restrain themselves from committing violent acts, but rather that when people drink, they tend to lose inhibitions, and may become more confrontational? And maybe this applies to civilians and soldiers?

Fighting in bars is not just something that soldiers do. Many civilians also get into fights in bars. However, most of them have the sense to leave their weapons at home when they go out drinking. I believe soldiers would do the same.

The argument you are using here could be used with any group of people! You seem to imply that because there are violent crimes committed by some service members, that all service members should be denied the right to keep and bear arms. Well, these same crimes are committed by civilians everywhere! By your logic, none of us should be allowed the right to keep and bear arms, because some people are criminals!

I believe you, and I couldn't agree more! I never said that all military personnel are all good and responsible. Just like civilians, some are good, some evil, and some fall somewhere between. Soldiers are human, just like you and I! And, they have the same inherent, inalienable rights that you and I have! This includes the right to keep and bear arms.
    +1

Blackknife are you sure your not a liberal gun hater posing on this site? Your logic is majorly flawed if you truly think no soldiers should be allowed to carry on post but can off.

Quote Originally Posted by GotCBOB View Post
    +1

Blackknife are you sure your not a liberal gun hater posing on this site? Your logic is majorly flawed if you truly think no soldiers should be allowed to carry on post but can off.
    I am not a liberal....but I am a realist.....they will never allow military to carry on base.....so just get used to it.

Instead of worrying about military carrying on base you should worry more about the economy, unemployment and health care issues instead...... I think these issues will effect your life more than if soldier boy gets to carry his gun on base......don't you think?
    "You fight the way you Train"

Well unfortuantly this is a defensive carry forum, if you would like to post up issues about the economy, unemployment and health care I am sure that there are plenty of forums for you to do that. I asked a question, I thanked you for your opinion, and thats the end of that. Again thanks for you input I am sure I will always remember it....have a good day Marine.
    My Guns:
    Taurus 24/7 Pro C .9mm
    Glock 26 .9mm

Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    . . . I can remember when I was in Okinawa and me and my fellow Marines went to an Airforce base to visit the E-Club....we were told that no Marines were allowed in the E-Club because of all the fights between Marines and Airmen....I can't count how many fights that took place between Marines in my own Company after drinking was involved . . .
    Ahhh - nothing like getting kicked out of The Airman's Club and then making your way down to gate 2 street!!

Quote Originally Posted by GotCBOB View Post
    +1

Well, that's certainly an appeal to emotion, if I've ever heard one.

He's a gun-hating liberal because his beliefs aren't aligned perfectly with yours?

Again, as a gun-loving, Democratic, Concealed-Carrying, NRA member, gun-owning American, I've got to agree that one of the worst things ever would be service men (and women) carrying on military installation! It's just not a good idea!

As far as the liberal vs. conservative name calling . . . that doesn't help anybody EXCEPT for those that rally against our cause.

It keeps me from posting much, and it keep Mrs. Av8er from even wanting to read the forum (she's another carrier - and a woman. We NEED more of those). But, I'm sure nobody listens to that.

Quote Originally Posted by av8er View Post
    Ahhh - nothing like getting kicked out of The Airman's Club and then making your way down to gate 2 street!!
    Thats right..... sounds like you have been there too.

I am not a liberal....but I am a realist.....they will never allow military to carry on base.....so just get used to it.

Instead of worrying about military carrying on base you should worry more about the economy, unemployment and health care issues instead...... I think these issues will effect your life more than if soldier boy gets to carry his gun on base......don't you think?
    Yea, come on, just deal with it! Don't try to stand up for what you believe in. Don't try to right the wrongs, just get used to them! Life will be a lot easier for you.

All soldiers living and working on base should just leave their self defense responsibility to the military police, just like all the civilians should place their trust in the local LEO. Just like the 43 killed or wounded at Ft Hood did.

You are a realist? Realistically, Columbus should have never set sail on his crazy voyage. Realistically, we should not have fought the British for our independence. Realistically, the slaves could never have gained their freedom.

Our liberties are being taken from us bit by bit. Realistically, there is nothing we can do about it.

I am not a realist.

You don't have much faith in our soldiers!

The argument you are using here sounds a lot like the arguments the anti-gunners use to fight concealed carry: People can't control their anger! It will be a bloodbath!

Our soldiers generally have more restraint and self discipline than civilians. I served for a few years, spent quite a bit of time at bars with other soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen. Never once did I see a brawl break out, although there were some heated discussions

I would think that soldiers, many of whom are more skilled and experienced with firearms than most civilians, would be less likely to cause trouble carrying concealed than most of us on this board!

How many people do you know that carry when going to a bar, or carry while drinking? Do you hold our soldiers in such low regard that you think they would go out bar hopping and drinking while carrying?

I find it embarrassing and aggravating that the people defending and dying for our liberties are denied those same liberties.
    It sounds like you never served in the military and served your country.......

I know for a fact that there are Marines and Soldiers that are in Iraq and Afghanistan that are more worried about getting home in one piece than if they can carry a gun on base.

If I was still in the Marine Corps and I was home in the states I would not have the balls to be crying over trivial things like not having the right to carry a gun on base while my fellow Marines our dying over seas because they are doing what they are ordered to do....Marines know what it is like not to have what others have but we adapt and over come......we use what is given to us and we don't cry about it.....

So if the goverment says I can't carry a gun then I will carry a knife...if they say I can't have a knife then I will find other means of defending myself.

Don't preach on what you don't have any idea about!

Quote Originally Posted by av8er View Post
    I've got to agree that one of the worst things ever would be service men (and women) carrying on military installation! It's just not a good idea!
    And why may I ask do you feel that way? Why do you think that a military service member, can legally carry on one side of the fence but not on the other?

For example you can carry when at home in civilians off post, or even in uniform off base, but because you walk "2ft" across the fence it changes your opinion? I dont understand that. Why is is that you feel that a solider, sailor, airmen, or marine having a weapon ON post is a horrible idea? Because we all know that those same people when off post can carry.

As far as defending yourself by whatever means possible, I can not agree with you more, however if I have a knife and am the best combatives person in the world, if someone is 20 yards away from me and has their mind set on harming myself or family with a firearm, I am SOL... thats just keeping it real. (same could be true with a vehicle or anything else that can be used as a weapon from a distance)

We are not crying about not being able to carry on post, and it will not affect my decision to stay in the military for 20-30 years, all that I originally asked is for a decent reason other than "the goverment says so" answer to why a military service memeber can not carry concealed, providing I meet all the requirements that are set forth, on post.
    My Guns:
    Taurus 24/7 Pro C .9mm
    Glock 26 .9mm

It sounds like you never served in the military and served your country.......

I know for a fact that there are Marines and Soldiers that are in Iraq and Afghanistan that are more worried about getting home in one piece than if they can carry a gun on base.

If I was still in the Marine Corps and I was home in the states I would not have the balls to be crying over trivial things like not having the right to carry a gun on base while my fellow Marines our dying over seas because they are doing what they are ordered to do....Marines know what it is like not to have what others have but we adapt and over come......we use what is given to us and we don't cry about it.....

So if the goverment says I can't carry a gun then I will carry a knife...if they say I can't have a knife then I will find other means of defending myself.

Don't preach on what you don't have any idea about!
    I have honorably served our country in the military.

I agree that many of our soldiers are fighting a war right now, and have more pressing concerns than the defense of their families and fellow soldiers serving stateside. But that has nothing to do with the issue we are discussing, and does not diminish the fact that the rights of these soldiers stateside are being infringed upon.

It is very revealing that you call the right to carry a gun "trivial". The right to keep and bear arms is NOT trivial, regardless of war, national emergency, or any other event.

It's great that you will use whatever is at hand to defend yourself. However, it sounds as if you would let the policy makers take everything away from you, your guns, your knifes, maybe your other rights, and liberties? If you are willing to give up such a crucial right as the right to keep and bear arms, what else are you willing to give up? And just because you are not willing to fight for these rights, does that make it acceptable to take them away from you? NO

I admit that I do tend to get a little passionate and preach about our liberties. However, having studied and defended our liberties, I believe that I do have a pretty good idea about the issue.

I have honorably served our country in the military.

I agree that many of our soldiers are fighting a war right now, and have more pressing concerns than the defense of their families and fellow soldiers serving stateside. But that has nothing to do with the issue we are discussing, and does not diminish the fact that the rights of these soldiers stateside are being infringed upon.

It is very revealing that you call the right to carry a gun "trivial". The right to keep and bear arms is NOT trivial, regardless of war, national emergency, or any other event.

It's great that you will use whatever is at hand to defend yourself. However, it sounds as if you would let the policy makers take everything away from you, your guns, your knifes, maybe your other rights, and liberties? If you are willing to give up such a crucial right as the right to keep and bear arms, what else are you willing to give up? And just because you are not willing to fight for these rights, does that make it acceptable to take them away from you? NO

I admit that I do tend to get a little passionate and preach about our liberties. However, having studied and defended our liberties, I believe that I do have a pretty good idea about the issue.

You are making the issue a little more than what it is...solider boy wants to carry his gun on base in uniform..why I don't have the slightest clue...but he is allowed to carry off base but he is not happy with that. No, he wants to carry his gun everywhere he goes so everbody can see he owns a gun.....so since you think he has a right to do so, lets allow him to carry wherever he goes...like on a plane or maybe even the White House while we are it.....give me a break.

Some people in this country live in states that don't allow anybody to carry guns....some states don't hand out CCW's like they hand out vehicle registrations. So he should be happy that he at least has the right to carry off base .....thats what I am saying....get it?

You are making the issue a little more than what it is...solider boy wants to carry his gun on base in uniform..why I don't have the slightest clue...but he is allowed to carry off base but he is not happy with that. No, he wants to carry his gun everywhere he goes so everbody can see he owns a gun.....so since you think he has a right to do so, lets allow him to carry wherever he goes...like on a plane or maybe even the White House while we are it.....give me a break.

Some people in this country live in states that don't allow anybody to carry guns....some states don't hand out CCW's like they hand out vehicle registrations. So he should be happy that he at least has the right to carry off base .....thats what I am saying....get it?
    The right to keep and bear arms is inalienable.

Get it?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links