Super Power

This is a discussion on Super Power within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is interesting.... * 709,000 regular (active duty) service personnel; * 293,000 reserve troops; * Eight standing army divisions; * 20 air force and navy ...

Thread: Super Power

DC Founder

Super Power

This is interesting....

* 709,000 regular (active duty) service personnel;

* 293,000 reserve troops;

* Eight standing army divisions;

* 20 air force and navy air wings with 2,000 combat aircraft;

* 232 strategic bombers;

* 13 strategic ballistic missile submarines with 3,114 nuclear warheads on 232 missiles;

* 500 ICBMs with 1,950 warheads;

* Four aircraft carriers, and;

* 121 surface combat ships and submarines, plus all the support bases, shipyards and logistical assets needed to sustain such a naval force.

Who owns this force of power? What nation controls such might?

Is this country Russia? No, Red China ? Nope. Great Britain ? Hardly! USA?

NOPE!

Give Up? Well, don't feel too bad if you are unable to identify this global superpower because this country no longer exists. It has vanished.

These are the American military forces that disappeared during President Clinton's administration.

2. Remove Ads

CHPBill

Scary

That really is scary.

Originally posted by CHPBill
    That really is scary.
    Yes it was scary. I was on active duty during this time. But I can tell you what would really have been sKerry is if the past elections had turned out differently .The original posted numbers would have been tripled in the next 8 years.

DC Founder
    We need to reverse it pretty damned fast, too....

That is horrible. Imagine how much better our troops would be right now if we still had all that might. Thank God Scary Kerry didn't get elected.

AMEN

Originally posted by WyattEarp
    That is horrible. Imagine how much better our troops would be right now if we still had all that might. Thank God Scary Kerry didn't get elected.

i agree we need to rebuild .. Peace though superior(sp .. Sick today and can't spell firepower :kay:

Good read Bumper-we do have to build but what and where? It seems some of our senior military officers now decide to bed with the enemy on issues! Long term planners may be more interested in good politics rather than protection of our country. The next milestone in American politics will give us a hint on our direction. We still have payback for the loss of 250 Marines in Beriut a few years back. I suggest dumping the old iron bombs on Syria to make way for the new, let those guys know we don't forget.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Unfortunately, I keep hearing that Rummy is looking around for more bases to close and even more talk about (if you can believe it) reduction of forces. Did any of you folks hear about the elimination of the Raptor program? A couple of other programs too. I agree, very skerry.....even with W in office.
    23 LEO, 2 Security, 4 USAF
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum

Cool

I haven't seen the new list of proposed base closures, but...considering those overseas, maybe we should close many of those (quit providing the locals with money) and perhaps move some of our U.S bases too. My idea....line our entire northern and southern borders (Canada and Mexico) with military bases....provide enough space to incorporate an active bombing range that wraps from Brownsville TX to San Diego CA.......Seattle WA to where the heck in Maine! Kinda help take care of the illegal alien problem.

For those opposed to overseas base closures, just think of the money that we spend "leasing" from the country involved. Also most have an agreement that gives their citizens priority for onbase jobs. That puts our troop's dependents at a disadvantage.....Basically, our bases are in affect a welfare program for the host country.

Agreed prospector, Let's spend a little money at home and quit supporting other economies.

I heartily agree that we should no longer support Europe with 60,000 troops, either militarily OR economically. WWII has been over for 60 years, and the USSR has been defunct almost a decade. Why are we still there while the French and Germans love to thumb us in the eye at every opportunity?

Same goes for S Korea. Couple of yrs ago their industrialists were dumping steel in the US market, costing our steel industry jobs. "US steel" is what has kept the S Koreans from being N Koreans for over 50 yrs...high time for them to stand on their own 2 feet. We built them a mighty fine DMZ...now they can take over guard duty for their own country. Or become members of the PRNK.

BTW, have you ever noticed how countries that have the word "Republic" in their name usually aren't republics by any stretch of the imagination?

Just my .02 cents!
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Cool

Well another odd tidbit to throw out here.....seems that there hasn't been a war between any two countries that has a McDonalds! Perhaps our govt should make a strategic investment and promote McDonalds in those remaining countries!

Links