DC Cop Brings a Gun to a Snowball Fight

This is a discussion on DC Cop Brings a Gun to a Snowball Fight within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a video just appeared of the incident: YouTube - DC Cop Waves Gun at Snowball Fight! Snowball Fight Takes Dark Turn|ABC 7 News WASHINGTON - ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cop Brings a Gun to a Snowball Fight

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

a video just appeared of the incident:

YouTube - DC Cop Waves Gun at Snowball Fight!

Snowball Fight Takes Dark Turn|ABC 7 News

WASHINGTON - A lively snowball fight on D.C. streets took a dark turn Saturday when anti-war protesters dressed in anarchist garb showed up, and a D.C. police officer pulled his weapon out of his holster.

The neighborhood snowball fight at 14th and U streets was advertised online. By 3 p.m., more than 200 residents converged for the massive snowball fight.

"No one meant any harm, no one meant anything by -- just having fun, it's highly unfortunate," said Tisha West. "We're Washingtonians and we like to play in the blizzard."

But things started to turn for the worse when the crowd -- some carrying anti-war signs and dressed all in black with masks -- began to pelt passing cars. A plain clothes D.C. police detective emerged from a Hummer -- it's unclear whether it was his personal vehicle or an unmarked police vehicle -- after it was struck. The detective began yelling at the gathered crowd. At one point, he pulled back his jacket, exposing his service weapon -- it's unclear if he did this intentionally. That's when things took a darker turn.

"It was pretty fun," said Jason Mogavero. "There were 200 people exchanging snowballs non-stop across 14th Street. And then, you know, when the gun came out, it changed the tone of the thing a little bit."

The gun belonged to a uniformed officer who showed up with his pistol out of the holster -- he did not point it at anyone.

Assistant Chief Peter Newsham says the officer was responding to a 911 call reporting a man with a gun in the crowd -- apparently the man was a plainclothes D.C. police detective.

Newsham says the officer drew his weapon when he spotted a man matching the description of the armed person, but holstered his weapon when he recognized the plain clothes detective.

Click the arrow above right to see story.
    MPD believes this was an appropriate response given the nature of the call, Newsham said.

Newsham says the department will investigate if any inappropriate language was used by the plain clothes detective while responding to the snow ball fight.

D.C. police say the uniformed officer who drew his weapon at a snowball fight-turned-unruly protest was responding to a report of a man with a gun at 14th and U streets NW. The incident caused controversy after it was caught on tape by ABC 7 News.

The crowd dispersed after about 20 minutes. No one was detained by police.
    The news article directly contradicts the video. We clearly see the undercover cop with his firearm out all by himself. The "anti-war protesters dressed in anarchist garb" looked normal enough to me. The undercover cop pushes people around in an inappropriate way as well.

It appears the undercover detective lied about drawing his firearm.

A snowball fight?

The Assistant Chief is going to have some explaining to do!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Radio in one hand, gun in other...
    Attached Images
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    The Gestapo done the same in Germany ?. I wonder if one of the snowball fighters pulled a gun out ?.

When you throw a snow ball at your friend that is fun. When you throw one at me without my consent that is assault.
    What other laws should we ignore when we want to have fun? Shall we excuse rape as long as one of the people involved has a good time?
    Or is it a weather thing? Can I steal your car if it is raining? Can I break into your house and help myself to a cold drink if the temperature gets over ninety?

And of course we frequently cite disparity of force as justification to draw or use a weapon. Lets see he was out numbered what? two hundred to one?

I don't agree with his tactics, but as a sworn officer in D.C. he is supposed to intervene when he sees laws violated. As soon as the first snow ball struck his vehicle or really any other bystander or their vehicle it stopped being fun and became a crime. He should have got on the radio and not exited his vehicle until uniformed officers were on the scene.

Sorry, but laws don't take snow days.
    Last edited by mcp1810; December 20th, 2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    This could have been avoided if they would have just blocked off that portion of the street (if possible) since it was advertised. This Detective did get carried away also, there was no reason for his actions of pulling his weapon and as said here, he should have waited for the uniforms to show up.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    I wonder if one of the snowball fighters pulled a gun out ?.
    No way this could happen, no cc in DC.

I agree, the det might have gone a little over board. But a 200 person snowball fight that turns into pelting passing cars is NOT "just having a good time". That can cause damage to cars and distract drivers that are trying to get home safely. As you can see in the video, the roads are horrible. There are some very stupid people at these protests as you can see, trying to start a fight with a cop... I thought protesters are suppose to be peaceable and anti-violent?

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    When you throw a snow ball at your friend that is fun. When you throw one at me without my consent that is assault.
    What other laws should we ignore when we want to have fun? Shall we excuse rape as long as one of the people involved has a good time?
    Or is it a weather thing? Can I steal your car if it is raining? Can I break into your house and help myself to a cold drink if the temperature gets over ninety?

And of course we frequently cite disparity of force as justification to draw or use a weapon. Lets see he was out numbered what? two hundred to one?

I don't agree with his tactics, but as a sworn officer in D.C. he is supposed to intervene when he sees laws violated. As soon as the first snow ball struck his vehicle or really any other bystander or their vehicle it stopped being fun and became a crime. He should have got on the radio and not exited his vehicle until uniformed officers were on the scene.

Sorry, but laws don't take snow days.
    It's not only a question of the bold section, but I think folks also need to take into consideration the weather conditions. I don't necessarily agree with his method and he should have continued further down the road and called in for backup, but lets take this a step further.

They also were throwing snowballs at passing vehicles. Passing vehicles that are traveling on snow/ice/slush covered roads. They don't need to be dealing with snow and iceball distractions hitting the side of their vehicles nor do they need to deal with it hititng their windshields and impairing the vision either.

I was out on the road in a vehicle with high clearance, 4wd and SNOW TIRES and I still think it was TREACHEROUS! The last thing I would need while driving on a road caked with a few inches of ice and a 4-6" layer of slush on top is to be pelted with snowballs from all sides while driving in it.

Anyone else find it interesting that all video available is chopped to only show what happened after the officer got out of his car? They had video, but only decided to use it after the gun came out? I'm calling BS. It's twisted. Unless/until I see the video of what was going on PRIOR to him getting out of the vehicle I'm reserving any further judgement on the officer(and I think we all know I'm usually the first one to jump on them here...).
    Stay safe folks.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by garyad View Post
    No way this could happen, no cc in DC.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GotCBOB View Post
    I agree, the det might have gone a little over board. But a 200 person snowball fight that turns into pelting passing cars is NOT "just having a good time". That can cause damage to cars and distract drivers that are trying to get home safely. As you can see in the video, the roads are horrible. There are some very stupid people at these protests as you can see, trying to start a fight with a cop... I thought protesters are suppose to be peaceable and anti-violent?
    I agree, that's why I'm wondering why they could not have blocked that off for just awhile if possible and if not, your right, the snow ballers were cursing him here and their and actualy inciting some of the others, being stupid in my book, there are always a couple in every group.

As mentioned here also, the video is chopped a little also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    What a silly thing to get worked up over.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The report is "messed up" and not clear.

There was an off-duty officer who showed a gun, and no one knew he was an off-duty officer. Someone called 911 "person with a gun" report.

So, when the UNIFORMED officer showed up ... snowballs flying around, he pulled his gun out of his holster , pointing at the ground, trying to find the person with the "gun" from the 911 call. That was probably not necessary, but nor did he know or have had an opportunity to asses anything yet (so a question on if he should have had his gun un-holstered). He was calm and prepared to confront a "man with a gun"... (saw the video of him).

Then , the Uniformed officer discovered it was an off-duty who was the "man with the gun" and who had 'brandished' his gun at some people in the crowd, which wasn't too smart in reaction to a snowball(s).

I agree that the whole thing is way overblown. It is seasonally appropriate though.

The bottom line is I can see no reason why a firearm needed to be drawn. Yes, throwing snowballs at an officer is assault, but a reasonable response is not to draw and shoot them... a reasonable response might be to ask them to stop, or ticket a few, or even arrest a few for some sort of public disturbance.

I do see the start of a riot mentality in the crowd. It did not develop, but the was a hint of it. The responding officers appear to have acted very well.

To his credit, the undercover cop used good muzzle discipline. Poor judgment, but kept his muzzle away from people.

Let's see, gun :vs: snowballs...I take $200 on the guy with the gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

D.C.'s finest.
    I wouldn't want to be pelted either, but drawing your weapon? Aren't detectives supposed to be smarter then that?
    Then it was denied a weapon was shown, come on.
    What would be the outcome if a citizen did that?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links