To all Correctional Officers - Page 2

To all Correctional Officers

This is a discussion on To all Correctional Officers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm currently a C.O. in Montana and I gotta say, everyone here has hit the nail right on the head. It's menial work. I tell ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I'm currently a C.O. in Montana and I gotta say, everyone here has hit the nail right on the head. It's menial work. I tell my friends that I babysit Montanas finest residents... of course that's out of sheer sarcasm that I say that.
    I've had plenty of people ask: "Well, it's just Montana. Not like you have many bad people to deal with right?!" Let me tell you, we have some nice and decent people and at the same time, we have the Worst of the Worst!

Check this out. I'm sure many of you have seen it before, but it still catches my eye each time I watch it. This guy is in our facility!
    YouTube - Re: Montana Police Chase

It still amazes me at how wreckless and careless people can be. My girlfriend and I often talk about my job and how potentially dangerous it is. People like the BG in the video constantly remind me to stay on my toes.
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

The best advice to give you is this. Be firm, fair and consistent from day one. If you say you are going to do something do it. Don't be afraid to say NO. You are going to be tested as all NEW JACKS are. Just stand your ground and do not give away the house and you will be fine. Trust me on this your co-workers are more of a problem than the inmates. Figure they are bored to death being inside and have nothing better to do than talk **** about each other. Keep your personal life to yourself don't ever talk in front of the inmates as they always have their ears open for gossip. Do your eight and skate. But I say this dead seriously If an inmate ever puts his hands on you you make sure he's the one going to the infirmary not you!
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    The best advice to give you is this. Be firm, fair and consistent from day one. If you say you are going to do something do it. Don't be afraid to say NO. You are going to be tested as all NEW JACKS are. Just stand your ground and do not give away the house and you will be fine. Trust me on this your co-workers are more of a problem than the inmates. Figure they are bored to death being inside and have nothing better to do than talk **** about each other. Keep your personal life to yourself don't ever talk in front of the inmates as they always have their ears open for gossip. Do your eight and skate. But I say this dead seriously If an inmate ever puts his hands on you you make sure he's the one going to the infirmary not you!
    Everything spot on....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If prisons were properly staffed and didnt have to work with their hands behind their back (metaforically speaking), it wouldnt be that bad. But as youll soon find out, its much different than that. Ive come across cops on the outside who couldnt hack it on the inside, its a world within a world, and 99% of people will think your crazy to volunteer to go in.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

A good day is having to deal with 100's of grown spoiled children.Did it for 12 yrs I liked it at first but there is nothing worse than a long timer that has no incentive to follow the rules.
    Prisons work on the carrot and stick principle and when they take away the carrot and you don't have a big enough stick (metaphorically not physically)you have no control and that happened in the prison I worked at I was so glad to get out.

Congratulations since jobs are hard to come by in these economic times.

Retired guard here from CA Dept Corrections. After years at 3 different max security prisons I can say that I do not miss the negative environment. When I started I was young and had no spouse or kids so the job was great since CA pay was quite a bit. But after getting married and having kids the job really hit home how negative the whole place is. It really could not be any other way since you have to realize where you are and what you are dealing with. Being a woman in a men's prison was a challenge in itself. You will definately learn to deal one on one with many different types of people and cultures. I personally had the most difficulty with Muslims and hispanics due to the views of women in general by those cultures in a prison setting. Everyone please do not read anything into that statement. It is a fact of life in prison and if you have not experienced the prison culture then you won't realize that there is a totally different set of rules. Some say that prisons are a microcosm of the real world but I do not subscribe to that theory. When you are in a place that begins and ends with negativity in all aspects of their life then it cannot be that microcosm.

My advice to you is the following: always remember where you are, watch your and your partners backs, the inmate is always lying no matter how sincere they sound, they always have an ulterior personally beneficial motive for everything, and don't be lazy. It is a trap that is easy to fall into to become lazy which then leads to complacency in your job. Like everyone said the job can be very boring which can make you lazy.

This job will be what you make it but for heaven's sake do not take it home with you!

The last thing I can say is do not become badge heavy as this can make your job so much harder. Respect is the main thing in prison for both inmates and guards and if you can balance respect with being a diligent officer then you can have a rewarding career.

Best of luck to you and always ask questions!
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

My advice (which I expect will be unpopular) is to stay in school a bit longer and come in as a Correction Counselor.

It generally starts 1 or 2 pay grades higher than CO, has better advancement potential and is more interesting work. They also paid for graduate school in Public Administration.

I started as a CC and made Deputy Commissioner while my CO friends who started around the same time were still trying to make captain. I was then able to move to the State Police as a Deputy Inspector (major) in administration.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    My advice (which I expect will be unpopular) is to stay in school a bit longer and come in as a Correction Counselor.

It generally starts 1 or 2 pay grades higher than CO, has better advancement potential and is more interesting work. They also paid for graduate school in Public Administration.

I started as a CC and made Deputy Commissioner while my CO friends who started around the same time were still trying to make captain. I was then able to move to the State Police as a Deputy Inspector (major) in administration.
    This is good advice if you are able to start immediately as a counselor in your state. My sister has done acting time as a CC and definately the ability to promote is there if you do a good job. Plus CCs work M-F daytime hours!
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Ok....My 2cents.........

First, let me make a correction....... callin me a "guard" is like calling a police officer a "pig"...... it dis-respectful. Security "Guards" work at the mall.... and we are Professional Correctional "Officers." Now....that being said......

Take the position, and make the best of it. There are lots of positions "inside" that you may enjoy doing besides being an officer. I'm an Electronics Technician, and been inside for over 13 years. 70k and doing something I like, not too bad......but I started as an officer making 27K not including shift/overtime. And....no the BOP is NOT that bad, I would recommend it over most ALL local, county, and state corrections.....MOST, not all. You'll find the pay is better at the Feds most of the time, AND you get a GS rating so you can then look and qualify for other federal positions outside of the prison should you choose. Lots of FAM's were picked up from the BOP.
    You have gotton some good advice..... firm, fair, and consistant is the rule! Oh, and also mentioned, bring your communication skills..... you have no weapons except your mouth....use it wisely..... and sparingly.......... Good Luck!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    callin me a "guard" is like calling a police officer a "pig"...... it dis-respectful. Security "Guards" work at the mall.... and we are Professional Correctional "Officers." Now....that being said......
    Tomaato Tomahto - I was always the utmost professional in my job and after many years with other "guards" it was a sign of respect to be seen as such by those with 30 years or more especially being a woman in a mans world. It may be different in other parts of the country. But I was no mall "security guard." No offense taken by the way.
    Woman With A Gun

Ok....My 2cents.........

First, let me make a correction....... callin me a "guard" is like calling a police officer a "pig"...... it dis-respectful. Security "Guards" work at the mall.... and we are Professional Correctional "Officers." Now....that being said......
    This may be your opinion along with others, but i really didnt care one way or another whether i was referring to as Guard or Officer. No, its not the same as calling a police officer a Pig, that is considered derogatory. And "guarding" is essentially what you're doing inside. Those that take offense to that have an ego problem.. IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    This may be your opinion along with others, but i really didnt care one way or another whether i was referring to as Guard or Officer. No, its not the same as calling a police officer a Pig, that is considered derogatory. And "guarding" is essentially what you're doing inside. Those that take offense to that have an ego problem.. IMO.
    Exactly what I meant.
    Woman With A Gun

Ok....My 2cents.........

I don't mind being called "GUARD" too much. Not many inmates uses "GUARD" any more. It's usually comes from the old timers. It's hard to get raging mad at 70 year old guy who's in for tresspassing. BUT, I do hate being called "BOSS" by some punk #$% kid. Those, I lock them down for dis-respecting staff member . In case some of you don't know what B.O.S.S. stands for, it's Big Ol'e Sack of Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    And this may be the reason you don't do it any more. To me, and to other professionals it is the same, and to us it is dis-respectful. Ego problem or not, I expect to be addressed as the professional I am, and the profession I represent. I expect inmates to address me as a professional, and they receive the same respect. I most certainly expect others in the community (this forum included) to NOT address Correctional Officers (Workers) as "guards," Especially after they have been educated on why it's demeaning.
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Wow, we're actually arguing this fact? What if they call you Bull, Boss, Screw, Sir or something else? All four of those are nicknames for Prison Guards/Correctional Officers. I for one, really don't care, as long as they're not cussing at me.
    Call me what you want. I know, regardless of what you refer to me as, I know I'm doing my job and I'm doing it to the best of my ability.
    Attorney/Lawyer. Cop/Police Officer. Jailer/Detention Officer. Let's get back to the real topic of this forum and not sit here and bicker about a stupid little title.
    It's not like the inmates really give a s*** about what they call us. We could correct them time and time again, but it won't make a difference so get over it please!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links