To all Correctional Officers

This is a discussion on To all Correctional Officers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ibesarcasm And this may be the reason you don't do it any more. To me, and to other professionals it is the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To all Correctional Officers

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    And this may be the reason you don't do it any more. To me, and to other professionals it is the same, and to us it is dis-respectful. Ego problem or not, I expect to be addressed as the professional I am, and the profession I represent. I expect inmates to address me as a professional, and they receive the same respect. I most certainly expect others in the community (this forum included) to NOT address Correctional Officers (Workers) as "guards," Especially after they have been educated on why it's demeaning.
    It seems you don't do it anymore either and I really don't need you to educate me on anything. No one addressed you as a guard. I can call myself Peter Pan if I want to and you need to get over yourself!

OP please read the portion of my earlier post discussing badge heavy and apply it here.

Edit: This demanding of respect will not work with inmates and could very well get someone hurt. I knew people like the quoted poster and they had a very difficult/impossible time communicating with the inmates. Try that kind of attitude in a 5 tier building with an open tier of 120+ inmates and you may very well get your ass kicked or worse. Try it with a tier full of cons (inmates who have been in for a lotta years and just trying to program) and they will make your life hell for months and years to come without touching you. Please remember to be safe and go home every night. That is the most important part!
    Last edited by redwood66; January 4th, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

And this may be the reason you don't do it any more. To me, and to other professionals it is the same, and to us it is dis-respectful. Ego problem or not, I expect to be addressed as the professional I am, and the profession I represent. I expect inmates to address me as a professional, and they receive the same respect. I most certainly expect others in the community (this forum included) to NOT address Correctional Officers (Workers) as "guards," Especially after they have been educated on why it's demeaning.
    You need a chill pill... It sounds like you have a huge chip on your shoulder. While you are on duty you can command respect but we are not inmates so respect needs to be earned and reciprocal.

I worked with several officers with your perfect world views and they had the greatest difficulties in controlling inmates due to their attitude.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

What the others said...... And by the way, professionalism doesnt come with a badge and title, it comes with your attitude towards others.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Administrator
    This reminds me of this so much;

YouTube - cartman says respect my authoritah!!!!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good Luck, hopefully things are better in Maine for you but after a year & a half of hoop jumping & repeated trips to Lansing for exams/physicals i should have been employed just over a year ago & now i have given up since all of the state prisons around here are closing. Heck even my dad who has like 12 years as a state correctional officer is laid off right now
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

SIXTO that was funny right there!

In all seriousness - OP reread my last post since I edited it. You will be going into a dangerous job and don't let anyone tell you different.

Be safe and again congratulations!
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Sixto, I had a rookie officer in my unit (charlie pod) which was the worst to work. It housed the hard to deal with inmates and they had no qualms letting you know that.

Anyway the new jack told one of the inmates to respect him because he was an ''officer''. I didn't try to hard to stop him cause they gotta learn some stuff the hard way.

For the next two weeks every time we did rounds, when we got on the upper tier they all would start chanting ''respect my authoratie'' to the new jack. I had all I could do to keep from laughing. He had it coming....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    He had it coming....
    Funny story, and he's lucky that's all they did to him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I remember when I started the old timers did not like being called Correctional Officers.....they would tell you that they don't correct inmates...they just guard them.....things have changed over the years.

I have to say that there is animosity between CO's and other LEO's. CO's say they work the hardest beat in the state and street cops say they have the hardest job. Since I did both I would say working the streets is more dangerous.

So OP make your decision...you probably have been given alot of reasons not to become a correctional officer... so you have to ask yourself..... do you want to work inside where is gets boring and monotonous or do you want to work on the streets where its exciting and everyday is different.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Kinda' like the difference in going from Peace Officers to Law Enforcement Officers. They went from keeping the peace to enforcing the law.
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Maximum Security...CERT Team Member...5 years going STRONG.
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

15 Years at NCDOC, some good some bad days.....................You will get a PhD in abnormal human behavior the first year!

Before I was hired by our Department, where I've been for the past 8 years, I spent 4 years at the County Sheriff's Department working in the jail. I would say we had it slightly easier than CO's in the prison system, as most of our inmates were awaiting trial. Everything said previously was spot-on. Inmates will test you. You will make mistakes and you will learn how to talk to people. You have no gun, no baton, no OC, just your mouth...I felt my correctional experience made me a far better cop on the street. Everytime I have a bad day at work or think this job sucks, I just think back to my time at the jail and am glad I don't work there anymore. Between being a street copper and an officer in the jail, the jail officer has a far harder job, by far!!
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I guess we're settled on everything then...... COs=guards, Police=Pigs, and everyone else are LOPs....... don't matter what your called I guess, and respect must be earned not assummed...... Guess I have it backwards...... thanks for clearing that up everyone........ nuff said...........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Administrator
    I agree, people who start as jailers end up making better cops.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links