Does proximity to LE stations affect crime rates? - Page 2

Does proximity to LE stations affect crime rates?

This is a discussion on Does proximity to LE stations affect crime rates? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got to agree with what is being said here. Our Sheriffs Dept. is located downtown just about 5 blocks from eastside, gang turf and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does proximity to LE stations affect crime rates?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I've got to agree with what is being said here. Our Sheriffs Dept. is located downtown just about 5 blocks from eastside, gang turf and mug central and high crime, our Police Dept Training Center is located right in Eastside and our Police Dept is located on the Central Part of the City where the other half of the crime/gangs live, so I've got to agree with most here are saying. Deterrent, no way.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Think about causality. If you were doing city or police planning, where would you put police stations? I'd put them in high crime areas, so that officers wouldn't have to drive all the way from a nice neighborhood to a bad neighborhood to do their jobs.

Do I think that dirtbags, who ignore all kinds of laws each and every day care if they commit crimes near a police station? NO!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My house and gun shop are one block from the Sheriff's training center.

There's a Sheriff's car or Trooper's car parked in front of the house all the time. I put a brisket on the pit on Thursday's and offer free Bar-B-Que sandwhiches and refreshments on Thursdays, slice and make your own.

Sometimes it looks like a cop convention on Thursday afternoons. Works for me.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Unscientifically I would say no. Unlike the fire department that generally responds from the station, officers usually are responding from somewhere out on the road. In my department officers were in the stations for roll call, to file reports, or processing DUIs. Other than that they were expected to be either in their own beat or backing someone up on a call.
    +1.

Moreover, from a purely statistical point of view, keep in mind that when a complainant goes to a police station to make a report of something that happened to them on the street somewhere, and the exact location of the incident is unknwon, the police station's address become the default location of the incident. Also, when a person comes to the station to turn themselves in for a warrant from another agency, that requires a new incident number, so, statistically, that is another major or minor crime incident at the police station's address.

Also, as other posts mentioned, police stations are often built in high-crime areas.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I used to work the desk at a "storefront" station on some Friday nights, and this storefront had been built at a very high-crime intersection. Believe me, it remained a very high-crime intersection, until other social factors caused the whole area to become more pacified. I worked harder at that storefront than on the street, which included one of the more memorable deployments of my patrol carbine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links