Does proximity to LE stations affect crime rates?

This is a discussion on Does proximity to LE stations affect crime rates? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My house is only a few hundred yards away from a local satelite sheriff's station. This makes my wife feel more safe and comfortable in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does proximity to LE stations affect crime rates?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

My house is only a few hundred yards away from a local satelite sheriff's station. This makes my wife feel more safe and comfortable in our neighborhood, and it can't hurt as far as response time goes, but I was wondering if that actually has any effect on the frequency/type of crimes committed in the area. I have been unable to find any info online about crime statistics with relation to distance from a LE station.

I understand it is no excuse for being less prepared or vigilant, I was just wondering if proximity actually made a difference in crime rate or type?
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    CrimeReports | The National Crime Map

Look at the address of the police station, put in what crimes you want to see and the time frame, compare to further away areas...
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thanks for that link. I will spend some time looking into that when I get home from work. It should give me specifics for my area, but I was also wondering in the more general sense. Have there been any studies done showing overall trends accross the country or in specific areas?
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I don't know of any studies, and I'm sure it varies from area to area.
    I know where I am from, most of the officers on a given shift are out on the road, handling anything from traffic calls, to crimes in progress, and don't often even stop at the station between calls.
    From what I've heard on the scanner and knowing there are only 6 officers for general duty on each shift, they keep pretty busy. If you are in a smaller or rural community things may be quite different, as far as how busy the department is and staffing.
    I'd start with checking the local PD's website(if they have one) and take a look at the crime reports for that area, it might give you an idea of how busy your local PD is.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Additional reading material along the same subject matter as CrimeReports; Center for Problem Oriented Policing | Crime Prevention Studies

Crime varies depending on local and regional factors.
    Are you in a city, suburb, or rural area?

There are police stations and sub-stations everywhere, and crime continues to occur.
    In the city which I know best there are murders and other crimes of violence on going right next door (!) to major police stations as a regular occurrence.
    Police place sub-stations literally inside of apartment buildings and guess what, it generally means nothing as a deterrent goes.

Out in the suburbs and rural areas crime tends to be more spread out in type and frequency and may even be less dense per annum (rural).
    But even that is not exactly a deterrent to crime per se as by proximity.

Best thing to do is check your own local and regional crime stats, as suggested by adrenalin.

Another site that I personally reference when ever thinking to guy in a neighborhood is; Crime Statistics - CityRating.com
    A second being City-Data.com and NeighborhoodScout

As well of course reference your own local police and/or city/town govt. website for monthly/quarterly/annual crime reports and statistics which most every police dept. these days provides to the public.

Do not assume or guess. Find out and know with surety.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

When I was an LEO after shift change there weren't any cops near the Police Dept.,unless we were called in or had to return for paperwork,the PD only fell within one beat cars Jurisdiction.we had a lot of crime committed within 2 blocks of the PD.The Sheriffs Dept was about 3 blocks away,and same story,only people onsite were dispatcher and jailer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unscientifically I would say no. Unlike the fire department that generally responds from the station, officers usually are responding from somewhere out on the road. In my department officers were in the stations for roll call, to file reports, or processing DUIs. Other than that they were expected to be either in their own beat or backing someone up on a call.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thanks for the links and perspectives. Not being one or knowing any LEOs, I guess I never thought about the fact that most of them are out on patrol and not in the office. But then again, the BG might not know that either and be influenced by an emotional fear of the station. Looking at the reports for my area or anywhere you want to move to definitly seems to be a good way to get some valuable information.
    Walk softly ...

I'm sure that when it really comes down to it, proximity to opportunity is what primarily drives crime rates. In that sense, and supported by basic statistical data/maps we've all seen, it doesn't seem that having a precinct/station nearby seems to dissuade much of anything from happening.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    For the Spokane area, the short answer is "no".

The main station for the police, sheriff, court, and jail are in one place. Some of the highest crime rates are right near there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

In my anecdotal experience no, we once had a guy shot in our station's parking lot! Proximity to the police station seems to do nothing to abate the crime rate.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    In my anecdotal experience no, we once had a guy shot in our station's parking lot! Proximity to the police station seems to do nothing to abate the crime rate.
    Agreed. Our northeast assembly is in the middle of the hood. Shootings occur right across the street and within a few blocks on a regular basis. There's a McDonalds within 50 ft of the assembly and it still got robbed at gun point. Despite the fact that cruisers are always going back and forth from the assembly doesn't seem to deter the hardcore criminal elements.

No, one of our district stations actually seems to act like some sort of bizarre crime magnet. LM2024, I am guessing you are located somewhere in Omaha?
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

In a word, NO. When I worked an inner city precinct, the sub-station had to be fenced in. While we were on the street working, our personal cars were being targeted. Besides, the buildings are 95% unoccupied. Only paperwork tasks were done and maybe a bathroom break. Heck, BG's steal cruisers, so a nearby police facility is not a guarantee of safety.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

After Hurricane Andrew, I was with a group of staff officers invited from the army national guard to City of Miami HQ in downtown for coordination on curfew checkpoints and helicopter LZ's I had set up in the disaster zone (I was acting S-3 "Air"). We got to go into the HQ armed with our 45's which was pretty neat. I'm standing at the window on like the third floor and I could clearly see the street right in front of the building and I witnessed a mugging! Some street dude ambles up to some old lady waiting for the bus and snatches her purse! I point it out and one of the cops in the room sprints out while muttering "OH NO NOT AGAIN!" I suddenly felt a whole lot safer with my 45 on me.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links