FBI's Magfed 20mm Rifles

FBI's Magfed 20mm Rifles

This is a discussion on FBI's Magfed 20mm Rifles within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hope its ok to post this here. I e-mails my Congressman and my Senators about this over a month ago. I told them about my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FBI's Magfed 20mm Rifles

FBI's Magfed 20mm Rifles

Hope its ok to post this here. I e-mails my Congressman and my Senators about this over a month ago. I told them about my thought on the militarization of our civilian police forces.

Yesterday I finally received a phone call about my inquiry. I was told by the lady in Senator Jim Inhofe's office that they called the FBI and were told the rifles were only to be used for investigative purposes. I was caught a bit offguard by the phone call as in the past I had always received a standard thank you for writing type e-mail. I thought it to be strange to receive a phone call.

Has anyone else here checked into this issue and received any responses? I believe this is an important issue in that we need to keep a wide separation between a domestic police force and our military. Saying on the one hand that we wont allow the military to act as civilian police while actively training and arming our civilian police with military hardware is to me just winking at the intent of the law.

Michael

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...0&cck=1&au=&ck

Solicitation Number:
    10-Q-LDQ002768
    Notice Type:
    Presolicitation
    Synopsis:
    Added: Nov 27, 2009 6:03 pm

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) intends to award a non-competitive, sole source purchase order to Anzio Ironworks Corporation, 1905 16th Street N, St. Petersburg, FL 33704 for two (2) Magfed 20mm Rifles and accessories in accordance with FAR 6.302-1, only one responsible source and no other supplies or services will satisfy agency requirements.

The FBI intends to procure the following items:

Magfed 20mm Rifle with Belgian Camo Overcoat finish. Includes bipod, brake, handguard, free floated barrel and case (Qty: 1 each)

Magfed 20mm Rifle with Navy NWV Camo Duracoat finish. Includes bipod, brake, handguard, free floated barrel and case (Qty: 1 each)

Non-firing bolt assemblies (Qty: 2 each)

Extra magazines (Qty: 4 each)

Suppressors in 20mm (Qty: 2 each)

The rifles were only to be used for investigative purposes? What purpose would a 20mm rifle serve in an investigation?

Something stinks!!!!!
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

VIP Member
    Read the documents, folks. They are buying TWO rifles with NON-FIRING bolt assemblies. Looks like they want to have some on hand to teach folks what they are looking at when they encounter them.

Take some deep cleansing breaths.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Read the documents, folks. They are buying TWO rifles with NON-FIRING bolt assemblies. Looks like they want to have some on hand to teach folks what they are looking at when they encounter them.

Well that's even worse. All that money for something that doesn't even work?

Wouldn't a picture suffice?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

If I were to possess this same equipment would the BATF agree that this rifle is non-functional?

Michael

Interesting, they need extra mags for non firing rifles?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Get a grip folks. These folks have a job to do and, no, a picture doesn't work.

What kind of mischief do you think they are going to do with 2 non-functioning rifles and 4 magazines?

The FBI isn't bound by PERSONAL OWNERSHIP rules.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If I were to possess this same equipment would the BATF agree that this rifle is non-functional?
    Sure, though after 3yrs behind bars pressing your argument.

Wouldn't matter that you couldn't get it to function, I'm sure. And they'd spend 3yrs trying to get it to function themselves ... all while you're presumed guilty and cooling your heels in custody.

Given their recent history of aggressiveness, I'd want a signed document in-hand prior to ever going that direction. But that's just me.

(Obviously this is intended to be tongue-in-cheek humor. It wouldn't surprise me if they took the heavy-handed approach, though you'll need to find out for certain from the BATFE.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Get a grip folks. These folks have a job to do and, no, a picture doesn't work.

What kind of mischief do you think they are going to do with 2 non-functioning rifles and 4 magazines?

The FBI isn't bound by PERSONAL OWNERSHIP rules.
    What kind of good do you think they are going to do with 2 non-functioning rifles and 4 magazines?

lol
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

They can't use weapons that have been seized or confiscated in previous investigations??.....or from other agencies??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    What kind of good do you think they are going to do with 2 non-functioning rifles and 4 magazines?

lol
    How long do you think its going to take them to fit working bolts to those rifles?

Michael

Senior Moderator
    Everybody calm down.

These are working rifles. The non working bolts will be used for display and storage purposes.

Investigative purposes mean exactly that. These rifles can be legally owned with the right paperwork, which would include a "destructive device" classifications because they are over .50 caliber. Anyone that can own a class 3weapon can own this rifle legally.

Since these can be owned by those willing to put up the cash and jump throught the hoops, it is only natural for agencies to want to know exactly what and what not these rifles are capable of. Range, trajectory, penetration capabilities,sound signatures with and without suppressors, all of these will studied and documented.

It only makes sense for an agency that might encounter one of these rifles to know what they are up against.

They are ordering two. I doubt that they have any other purpose than perhaps countersniper against .50BMGs or something of that nature.

If I knew I was going up against a .50 BMG or a .416 Barrett or any of the other ultra long range rifles, a 20MM that could outdistance any of the above wouldnt be a bad thing to have.

Not everything that the government does has evil purposes. Some of it actually makes a bit of sense. If they really wanted them for no good, do you think that it would have been published?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post

lol
    Train agents to understand and recongnize the type of weapon that they may encounter in the field in foreign countries when our embassies are attacked.

Of course that just might be one example. Countrary to some on this board, they are Federal LEOs that are on our side and have a role to play in our Government's protection and they are not the bad guys.

Thanks HotGuns. The government and government agencies aren't evil incarnate.

Read the first sentence in my response: GET A GRIP.

I guess I am not understanding this, but what is the problem with the FBI purchasing ANY kind of weapon. The FBI is also supposed to be the first line of defense against terrorists among other things and how many times have you heard dont bring a knife to a gun fight. These guys have every right to be better armed than the bad guys. I have known several agents over the years and there are alot of good guys in the bureau. Just y 2 cents

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links