Any Texas LEO? Looking for some advice.

This is a discussion on Any Texas LEO? Looking for some advice. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm starting this thread because I'm looking to move to Houston-area, TX in the summer and want to become a LEO. I know how the ...

Thread: Any Texas LEO? Looking for some advice.

Any Texas LEO? Looking for some advice.

I'm starting this thread because I'm looking to move to Houston-area, TX in the summer and want to become a LEO. I know how the LEO employment process works here in VT but am somewhat clueless as to how it works in TX. I've looked online for info and have found some but I still have some questions.

Where would you suggest I start with contacting and talking to the LE offices down there?
    How long does the hiring process take until I start seeing a paycheck so I know how much I'll need to have before I move down?
    What can I do to stand out and what can I do to be best prepared when I get down to TX?
    Would going through the police academy be worth doing while I'm in Vermont or would that be a waste of 6k?

Anyone that can help is appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm not a TX LEO, but perhaps it would help if we knew where in TX you are going. Like everything in Texas, Texas is a big place.

Also, don't waste your time going to an academy in Vermont, you'll just have to do it again in Texas.
    One more thing, LEO jobs are not like the ones at McDonalds. They are somewhat tough to get. (the good ones anyway)
    If you want to do something before you go, learn spanish.

There are some TX LEO's here that I'm sure will give you specific information.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    If you're moving to Houston, you'll want to contact the Houston Police Dept. (HPD) and the Harris County Sheriff's dept. (HCSO). Both agencies are currently hiring...

The hiring process can take a few weeks to a few months, so I would get as much money together as possible... You may want to contact and apply now and get things going... HPD is the highest paying agency in the area, but not by much. The Sheriff's dept. is 2nd. Employment exams for both agencies include written reading and writing comprehension tests along with a fitness/agility test. The fitness tests typically include a mile run along with an obstacle course.

You can PM me if you have additional questions, I'll try to help... Here are some links...

HPD Careers

Harris County Sheriff
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not a TX LEO, but perhaps it would help if we knew where in TX you are going. Like everything in Texas, Texas is a big place.

Also, don't waste your time going to an academy in Vermont, you'll just have to do it again in Texas.
    One more thing, LEO jobs are not like the ones at McDonalds. They are somewhat tough to get. (the good ones anyway)
    If you want to do something before you go, learn spanish.

There are some TX LEO's here that I'm sure will give you specific information.
    I said Houston-area in my first sentence. I took some spanish in h.s. and am currently taking more classes too.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    If you're moving to Houston, you'll want to contact the Houston Police Dept. (HPD) and the Harris County Sheriff's dept. (HCSO). Both agencies are currently hiring...

The hiring process can take a few weeks to a few months, so I would get as much money together as possible... You may want to contact and apply now and get things going... HPD is the highest paying agency in the area, but not by much. The Sheriff's dept. is 2nd. Employment exams for both agencies include written reading and writing comprehension tests along with a fitness/agility test. The fitness tests typically include a mile run along with an obstacle course.

You can PM me if you have additional questions, I'll try to help... Here are some links...

HPD Careers

Harris County Sheriff
    I would apply now but I'm not sure what good that would do as I don't plan on moving for another 6 months. Do you have any idea if I can get the exam parts out of the way and maybe even the physical tests while I'm in Vermont? Thanks for the help so far guys, the more input the better!

You most likely will have to travel to TX to do any testing....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GotCBOB View Post
    I would apply now but I'm not sure what good that would do as I don't plan on moving for another 6 months. Do you have any idea if I can get the exam parts out of the way and maybe even the physical tests while I'm in Vermont? Thanks for the help so far guys, the more input the better!
    HPD is very accomodating. Before I moved here I was looking into working for them. You do have to come down for the tests but they will set things up so you can do just about everything in one trip. If you want to start shortly after you get here you should definitely get the ball rolling. I am not sure how long the process is right now, but IIRC six months from application to start date is about what we were talking about three years ago.

I ended up not taking the job with HPD but moved here anyway.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GotCBOB View Post
    I said Houston-area in my first sentence.
    Whoops, my bad.

Good luck to ya.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Houston PD is going to start a cadet class in March and another in May, 2010. The folks who will be in those classes may already be chosen; I am not sure. Hiring has slowed, but not totally stopped. There was just a change of administrations, and there are budgetary concerns. HPD is still considered to be understaffed. A new fiscal year starts in July.

The new mayor of Houston has indicated she wants to hire folks who already have been to an academy, but that change may not have occurred yet. As it is, the HPD academy is a total package, and starts a new-hire from scratch; attending an academy elsewhere may or may not help you. Cadets are paid. The pay schedule is bi-weekly, and payday is one week after a pay period ends. I cannot say how long it takes for the first paycheck to arrive, once you start working, but it will, I would think, depend on where in that two-week pay period you start.

HPD cadets must buy their own duty pistols. They get a MUCH better price than retail, from certain local distributors. Pistols can be financed. Certain other items must be purchased by the cadets. Get used to it; it is a local tradition for LEOs to provide much of their own equipment. At least HPD pays its cadets to attend the academy. Sixty college hours, or two years in the military, are prerequisites, and an applicant should have a good credit history, or at least not have a bad history.

Last I heard, Harris County Sheriff's Office is still short of people. HCSO starts its people as civilian jailers, but a determined and qualified person can move up quickly.

Links