Thinking about going back...

This is a discussion on Thinking about going back... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; to work for the NCDOC. It's a tough job nonetheless but am kind of missing it and thinking i should've given it a another chance ...

to work for the NCDOC. It's a tough job nonetheless but am kind of missing it and thinking i should've given it a another chance as a career or stepping stone into something else. Just been thinking about it lately and and bouncing the idea around. Anybody else do the same thing here ??
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

NCDOC, as in the North Carolina Dept. of Corrections? If so, why did you leave is such a tough economic time? Curious.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, as a Correctional Officer.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...

1*

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Well, I have to say I don't, I work for the city, but as far as job security unless you screw up there will always be convicts, so job security is there.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    NCDOC, as in the North Carolina Dept. of Corrections? If so, why did you leave is such a tough economic time? Curious.
    I left the DOC about a year and a half ago due to various personal reasons, but i think i want to go back and give it another shot. I want to be positive about it this time and learn what i can to help myself possibly move into another ave of LE.

1*

NRA Member

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    I left the DOC about a year and a half ago due to various personal reasons, but i think i want to go back and give it another shot. I want to be positive about it this time and learn what i can to help myself possibly move into another ave of LE.
    You already have the experience of working in DOC, why don't you start applying for LEO jobs now? You did the inside, now get on the outside. You might find you excell with your prior experience dealing with criminals and have a better understanding than most other fresh patrol officers have.

"It's a tough job nonetheless but am kind of missing it and thinking i should've given it a another chance as a career or stepping stone into something else."

"I want to be positive about it this time and learn what i can to help myself possibly move into another ave of LE."

Then go for it and best of luck.
    God, country, family.

If there's a regret there AND the opprotunity to give it another round......it might be good to take it. ALTHOUGH, you left it once for your own reasons, make sure your ready to go 'through' it again.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks guys, i appreciate the comments. I called the regional employment office today and i am still in the system as "inactive". I need to fill out some forms again but all my test scores and stuff is good through 2013. Looks like im going to get that ball rolling again and step back into uniform. I want to go back to the DOC for awhile and then go through our local BLET training, or wait until i move to NY and apply with a PD up there. At the moment i need to get back into the door.

1*

NRA Member

I agree with the other poster. Why not try and go straight to LEO?
    Im sure it would be much more in your favor when applying to a NY PD.

My cousin is a CO and he once told me "I may be a CO in a prison, but I still have to go to prison everyday"

Either avenue you go down, I wish you the best.
    Last edited by Sig229; January 13th, 2010 at 03:40 AM.

Just from what I gather from talking to officers in that part of the country, its probably a lot easier to get a LEO job in North Carolina than New York. If you are really serious about moving to NY, you may want to start looking for jobs there now, it will be a long process. Don't bother with BLET if you really are moving, you will just have to do it again (whatever the NY version is) when you get there. On the other hand, if securing a good LEO position in NC will enable you to stay here, by all means go for it.

As for DOC, if that is what you want to do, go for it. I know that wouldn't be a job for me, I don't even like going into the jail to drop off my arrestees, but I'm glad there are folks who can stomach the job.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Links