Israel, Airports and Flying: A Better Model? - Page 2

Israel, Airports and Flying: A Better Model?

This is a discussion on Israel, Airports and Flying: A Better Model? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The TSA and Administration just won't make the tough decisions to keep us safe. A bunch of feel good weenies and panty wad liberals that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Israel, Airports and Flying: A Better Model?

The TSA and Administration just won't make the tough decisions to keep us safe. A bunch of feel good weenies and panty wad liberals that want good thoughts and good feelings to fix the world. A bunch of misguided dolts that are truly endangering the USA with their idle palaver.

US travelers would never put up with the 'inconvenience' and incredibly long airport lines that any 'Israeli-type' security model would bring to US airports. We balk at 15-20 minute lines and would rebel at lines out of the building and around the block.

It is a concept vs. reality situation.

Ron
    Another interesting thing about Israeli airport security is that when we arrived at the airport with a group from my Temple visiting Israel I looked around and saw no security guards in uniform.

That startled me so I asked our Rabbi, who is Israeli and was leading the trip, where was the security?

He smiled and pointed to what looked like an orthodox Jew in black garb. He said that that person was, in fact, a security guard.

He noted that if there was a terrorist attack at the airport who would the BG's take out first? Answer, the people in uniform with guns.

Yes, they seem to have it right. Learned, of course, from bitter experience.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I don't even understand the "no bathroom breaks the last hour" rule. What possible security function can that fulfill??
    Maybe I'm too cynical, but assume the BG then gets his stuff ready one hour and ten minutes before landing. If the plane goes down, most likely, it will be over the ocean and the powers that be will say, "Must be wiring harness chafing in the fuel tank."
    "Nothing to see here folks, move along."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    What the one hour before landing rule does is give the terrorist an exact time they can set the bomb to detonate. So does the display screen showing the progress of the plane. So is the announcement by the crew that they are getting ready for landing. So will a watch and a little thinking. So why do it? For show.

GM
    I wish we wanted to learn from Israel.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I wish we wanted to learn from Israel.
    That would require the POTUS, Homeland Security and the TSA to recognize reality.

Its a bit more complicated than that, I'd argue. If the techniques we're advocating were put in place tomorrow, this and similar forums would fill with threads decrying the left-wing intrusion. Left-leaning forums, of course, would fill decrying the right-wing intrusion.
    God, country, family.

Intrusion
    Behavior profiling? I think not. Bring it on. TSA as currently designed is not effective. We need, deserve, and are funding better.

Coming from a guy that has been yanked out of his car for being black in the wrong neighboor hood I have no problem with profiling. I have a issue with racial targeting. The problem isn't with the process, it's with the people.

As that article clearly states someone looks in your EYES and they observe your behavior. Profiling in the U.S generally tends to come down to "That person is black, that person is arab, etc." That doesn't work. True and accurate profiling means reading behaviors. Frankly, I'm glad that the ACLU is all over things like profiling in the U.S as the U.S intelligence and law enforcement tend to not profile, they tend to racially target people.

I'm not trying to turn this into a racial debate however it's easy to rock on the ACLU when you haven't been the target of the U.S's brand of profiling because of the color of your skin.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Been in and out of Ben Gurion many times...they know what they are doing...won't see me carrying in there! LOL The article is quite accurate and the screening top notch...Thanks for the post! Gush Etsion , Israel
    ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא-אשוב עד-כלותם
    תהילים יח/לח

Been in and out of Ben Gurion many times...they know what they are doing
    Welcome to the Forum, Gush.

I figure the folks in Israel can teach those of us here in the USA many things about terrorism, terrorists and staying safe!

Thanks!

The one thing American gun owners and security minded folks share with Israelis is that you care about each other. A glaring difference between the two countries is that the 25 shekel per hour ($6.75) security guards at the malls and stores here will and do put their lives on the line every day. That's the same level of commitment that I have seen in real Americans.

Stay safe, and keep one in the chamber. ;) I do.

jb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links