Got a letter from the police today

This is a discussion on Got a letter from the police today within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGP250 Florida, California and a couple other states are economic basket cases. This is just another creative way to increase revenue without ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a letter from the police today

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Florida, California and a couple other states are economic basket cases. This is just another creative way to increase revenue without out rightly calling it a tax.
    Don't group California and Florida together.

California dug it's own hole.

Florida has a balanced budget constitution, and no state income tax.
    (Thank god) So they try to gouge you every way possible.

I just hate hearing politicians whining they have no money, when they build new stadiums,
    now, high speed rail to nowhere, aquariums, theaters, all with the promise, "This will bring money in, it will be self sustaining.", and it never is!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I have to call the county ambulance service, they still send me a bill for $1500.00.

Hoss

$1,500 Wow. Never had to call an ambulance, and if that's what they charge I hope I never have to. Might as well call a limo, lots cheaper. And better accommodations than an ambulance.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Now I really feel stupid. My wife is out of town visiting the grandkids.( It's a birthday thing). She calls me several times a day. Today, I told her about the letter and how much it irritated me and the post I wrote. After she stopped laughing, she told me we have been paying the $10.00 fee for all of the 5 or 6 years we've had the alarm system and to shut up about it. That's what happens when you're out fishing or at the range or working on the house and not opening the mail. Thanks for all the replies. I guess at the time the city council passed the ordinance I wasn't living here or didn't have an alarm system. Not sure I would go to a council meeting anyhow. I get inflamed enough just hearing about them and the stuff they pass. The taxation without representation thing was left over from a tea party I went to back in 1775 or so when I was living in Boston. You know how your memory gets when you're old.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I received a letter in this mornings mail from the St. Petersburg police dept. stating that the City Council passed a resolution requiring residents who have alarm systems to pay a $15.00 start-up fee and a $10.00 annual fee or face large penalties for not reporting active alarm systems.

I can see assessing some sort of fine for nuisance false alarms, but one would think responding to a real alarm in progress would make the job of the police easier than after the fact. Also, the last time I looked, I was paying a pretty hefty tax for police protection with or without an alarm system.

There was no explanation for the rationale for the new fee. It doesn't even sound as if it is legal and not discriminatory, not to mention taxation without representation.

I'm going to look into hiring Blackwater to protect my property as it might be cheaper than the new tax on a tax. What a country?
    Since you live inside the city, take your grievance to the next city council meeting, don't they have a agenda they go by and can you not get on that agenda at some point and time or make an appointment with your councilor for your district and inquire into this. You vote for your council, you dang well can vote those SOGs out of their come election time and get this reversed.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Does this apply to unmonitored alarms? We have an alarm we set at night, and we only set it when we're home. If my wife and boys aren't here, I don't care what they steal. If we are here, the BG doesn't know if it's monitored or unmonitored, so he's likely to leave anyway. If he doesn't leave, I'm tipped off and we have a plan. I think monitored systems are a waste of money and don't help you defend your family.

Anyway, if the fee is just to keep info on file, why can't people with monitored alarms voluntarily give all relevant contact info to the local PD and dispense with the tax? Taxes pay for the department, and now there's a new tax to put the department in motion. I understand the false alarm argument, but it seems to me this is just another effort to get the producers to pay for the consumers.

It's the old adage that bosses spend 90% of their time on 10% of the people. Same with 5-0. They spend 90% of their allocated resources on 10% of the people, and that 10% contributes zero to the fiscal year budget of the department. I understand it's not feasible to only provide services to the people that pay, but a guy can wish.

One question: Are local police required by law to respond to calls from alarm companies that monitor? i.e., if you get a call from ADT saying they have an alarm at XXX Mayberry St, are you legally obligated to go check it out?
    Last edited by Holger; January 14th, 2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: question

1. It would appear obvious that false alarms are a problem. Not only in your city but everywhere. Your city has enacted this ordinance in an effort to deal with the associated costs of those false alarms.
    Oh really? What cost?
    Did they bring a cop in on overtime to come investigate? No.
    Did they hire more cops to deal with the situation? No.

They didn't spend a penny. I'll agree that it's a pain for the cops to check out false alarms, I don't blame them.

So charge the people with the false alarms.

Pretty soon I'll get a bill for alarms, and I'll say, "I don't have an alarm system." Are you going to say, "Well you might get one, so here's your bill."

I pay a pretty hefty tax bill every year but if I have to call the county ambulance service, they still send me a bill for $1500.00.
    Hoss
    My buddy crashed his motorcycle a while back. While he was unconscious they medi'vac'd him to the hospital. He has no memory of any helicopter ride. (or the crash.)
    He got a bill in the mail for $11,000 for a 20 min. ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post

Anyway, if the fee is just to keep info on file, why can't people with monitored alarms voluntarily give all relevant contact info to the local PD and dispense with the tax? Taxes pay for the department, and now there's a new tax to put the department in motion.
    Our local PD has had a voluntary registration for many years without an extra TAX. Also our local PD never gets mad at alarms since they seem to look at them the same way I do Alarms prevent more calls than they produce in reality IMHO.

Although I am waiting for the current mayor to try & change this like he did the Trash. I can't wait to VOTE on our next Mayor.

Administrator
    I think my borough is going to give residents & businesses 2 or 3 gratis false alarms per year then they start getting a fine per each subsequent false alarm.

I don't blame them. Example: My local CVS pharmacy must get 6 False Alarms per month.

The cities that contracted police services with the sheriffs department I worked for had citations for false alarms. We would false alarm calls all the time sometimes 40 a night especially on windy days. I never wrote a citation....I thought it was better to respond to a false alarm than to respond to a burglary call.

I have always told victims of burglaries to get a big dog and a good alarm system. I think all people should get an alarm system they work well in deterring thieves from breaking in.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    The cities that contracted police services with the sheriffs department I worked for had citations for false alarms. We would false alarm calls all the time sometimes 40 a night especially on windy days. I never wrote a citation....I thought it was better to respond to a false alarm than to respond to a burglary call.

I have always told victims of burglaries to get a big dog and a good alarm system. I think all people should get an alarm system they work well in deterring thieves from breaking in.
    Well Said Exactly what I was trying to say although unsuccessfully

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    My old department responded to an average of ( I think it was) 100,000 alarm calls per year. Of those about 1% turned out to be actual or attempted break ins. One of the things that annoyed me to no end was the fact that the alarm companies were taking in literally millions of dollars for "our" work. As a resident of the county I worked for it really ticked me off when I thought about how many man hours, how much gasoline, wear and tear on the cruisers etc. my taxes were paying for to answer those false alarms. Alarm calls accounted for almost 1/8 of our calls for service. And each of those calls were responded to by two officers.
    Think about that. If those numbers were typical across the country one sixth or so of you police department is essentially working for the alarm companies at no cost to the alarm companies. The taxpayers are footing the bill for that.
    Until the alarm companies start having their own employees respond to check on alarms, and then calling the police only for verified break ins, I have no problem with alarm permits and fees.
    agreed on the alarm calls
    I don't have an alarm system and I can see the good and bad of both sides of the argument on the fees, etc
    I don't agree that the alarms lower the number of calls, maybe if more people just had really loud sirens (unmonitored and stickers/signs up warning potential criminals, scare em off). The overwhelming majority (probably 99.9%) of our alarm calls are false and it does cost money to answer these calls when we could be doing other aspects of the job such as traffic enforcement, running warrants, and responding to other calls more quickly. I know some people will be mad at me saying that, but thats the truth. It does cost money to answer the false alarms, granted its gas and officers already paid for in the budget but its not using the resource wisely when it could be used for other things.
    Here, a business or home gets 2 false alarms free...$50 for each one after that and if they don't pay they are added to the "no respond" list (based on calls where the alarm is triggered, if someone is on-site and confirms something is happening then we respond of course).

Quote: "Here is an idea why not have all government employees pay for using uniforms, cars, training etc etc. When used on for profit second jobs seems to me it would be reasonable since they are benefiting from the use."

Where do you live? I am working in the wrong place! Quite a few agencies do not allow their personnel to use agency uniforms and equipment when moonlighting. Precious few LEOs get to use an agency vehicle when doing outside work. (None in my area.) As for training, I get my best training from sources that charge me for it. Most of my equipment I use at work, for the public or moonlighting, is is what I purchased. This includes weapons and ammo, and most of what is on my belt, including the belt. (I am actually glad of that; I get to use what I want, within guidelines.) To be sure of quality communications, many of us are buying our own radios, to use on duty. This is a big agency, with thousands of officers, not some small-time PD.
    we work off-duty jobs in uniform, no problem, for jobs where the business requests the use of a patrol car they have to pay an extra fee to the city for that. For us, an officer working and off-duty job lets them handle the situations on-site preventing our patrol officers from having to respond to it. That helps the city and everyone.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    If you only knew how many false alarms with home systems they have to respond to you would probably think differently.
    In my area, you get x amount of "free" false alarms per year. After that you have to pay a fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Why the remark about "taxation without representation? You did vote in the last election or you were eligible to vote, no?

BTW, the fee sounds like a bargain to me. As someone else pointed out it beats a $500 fine for the inevitable false alarm.
    I never made a comment about "taxation without representation."

If a $50 fee is okay with you, next year it will be $500.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I never made a comment about "taxation without representation."
    I believe Hopyard was referring to the original poster, he did say the above line
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links