An editoral I found in the Naval Enquirer for concealed carry on our bases

This is a discussion on An editoral I found in the Naval Enquirer for concealed carry on our bases within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a little opinion piece from the Jan. 11th, 2010 edition of the Navy Times. I can't link it due to my email account but ...

Here's a little opinion piece from the Jan. 11th, 2010 edition of the Navy Times. I can't link it due to my email account but I quoted it and it can be located for those of you with a 'working' email server.....I do dislike 'puters sometimes
    Weekly Print Edition - Search Navy Times

The Defense Department has made it illegal to carry a weapon on military installations, even for people who have a concealed carry permit. That's unconstitutional and wrong.

Maybe the Fort Hood tragedy will wake somebody up. If someone in the Fort Hood Soldier Readiness Center had been permitted to carry concealed, things might have been very diffrent.

But an institution that trusts an 18-year-old security forces guy with a weapon but can't trust a 32-year veteran with years of weapons training, a top secret clearance and a concealed weapon permit is probley better off with it's head in the sand.

Air Force Major Richard M. Gollner (ret.)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I agree.

The problem is, the writer of the article has common sense. Getting yourself elected to political office doesn't require that common sense and is having common sense is often a disadvantage in a politician.

Biker

In the words of Voltaire "Common sense is not so common."

He is not 100% correct, the Defense Department (I assume he is talking about the Department of Defense) has not made it illegal to have a weapon on military installations.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    He is not 100% correct, the Defense Department (I assume he is talking about the Department of Defense) has not made it illegal to have a weapon on military installations.
    You cannot carry a loaded weapon aboard a military installation for self defense unless it is part of you authorized duties.

And it was DoD. Who do you think the President is? (Commander in Chief and so ordered it by Executive Order)
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

i just dont think they will ever let people carry on military installations, whether you have a permit or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    You cannot carry a loaded weapon aboard a military installation for self defense unless it is part of you authorized duties.

And it was DoD. Who do you think the President is? (Commander in Chief and so ordered it by Executive Order)
    He did not state loaded weapon for self defense. If by definition of weapon he means firearm he is not 100% correct. There are many bases where you can have a loaded firearm. No, you can't roam around the base at will with a loaded firearm. But there are certainly bases where you can have a loaded firearm on base.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    He did not state loaded weapon for self defense. If by definition of weapon he means firearm he is not 100% correct. There are many bases where you can have a loaded firearm. No, you can't roam around the base at will with a loaded firearm. But there are certainly bases where you can have a loaded firearm on base.
    Yes, while hunting or tgt shooting in approved areas or supervised ranges.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I was happily, and is greatly missed, stationed on Camp Pendelton, CA MCB.

We could bring our weapons on base. And there was even a full service gun shop in the Marine Corps Exchange right on Basilone road? I think that was it haha... I bought a Glock there once. Long sold it but still... They did not allow us to CC.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links