Where did this guy get his training?

This is a discussion on Where did this guy get his training? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I ran across an article that included this picture of a Pennsylvania State Trooper covering an innocent woman's car with his carbine. Am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok, so I ran across an article that included this picture of a Pennsylvania State Trooper covering an innocent woman's car with his carbine. Am I the only one who's pretty sure his finger is on the trigger?!?!

That is a serious violation of one of the cardinal rules of firearm safety: keep for finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot.

I can only assume that this is a pretty serious problem with his department's training program.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Senior Moderator
    Maybe not.

We dont know the details. Notice that there are two troopers there, which means that there seems to be a problems of sorts.

Just looking at the picture and assuming that she is an "innocent" leads me to beleive that she is not.

Is there more to the story?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

How do you know that the 'lady' doesn't have a gun in her lap that only the officers can see?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    As others have said, we don't know the whole story.

I'm not 100% sure his finger is on the trigger, it appears it may be laying on the side of the trigger guard.

On an M-4 type carbine, the bottom of the trigger guard is flush with the bottom of the magazine well. His finger would have to be about an inch or so higher to be away from the trigger. I'm about 95% sure his finger is on the trigger. Its hard to tell from the angle, but he might be muzzle-sweeping her as well. It also looks like he has his thumb on the safety selector, which means if his finger is on the trigger... Not a good plan in a stressful encounter.

And, depending on your definition of "innocent" perhaps I should have used "not needing to be immediately shot" instead. The other officer in the photo clearly does not see her as an immediate threat.

I'll refrain from posting the article the photo came from. It doesn't give a whole lot of detail on the incident other than to refer the the woman as "a terrified driver".

Either way, very likely safety violation. Perhaps the question to ask would be, "would you consider it a safety issue if you saw an officer approach your wife this way?"

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Blowing the picture up it looks like the finger is on the outside of the trigger guard.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

to be honest, the trooper with the Carbine looks to be behind the rear tire and the driver is looking in the mirror.

I think the Trooper with the Carbine is covering his partner, who for whatever reason and as far as I'm concerned in the wrong place. but it's not my problem.

It's probably a picture from last month when the Trooper was shot and killed and these guys are looking for the BG, but that pure conjecture on my part
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Blowing the picture up it looks like the finger is on the outside of the trigger guard.
    ^^^^^YEP^^^^^^

I blew it up also, and it most certainly looks on the outside of the guard, what the shakedown is all about I cound'nt tell you.
    It almost appears as if they are giving the vehicle a cursory lookover and the trooper w/rifle is @the moment looking into the backseat;;
    JMHO

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I see a few questions,

Notice the officer on the left has his rifle out, but officer on the right has his pistol holstered. I would expect if there was a serious threat, the left officer would have his gun drawn. (It is possible he has a rifle too- can't see)

These officers need some ice cleats on their boots. Notice the slick conditions and hand leaning on the car. Cabelas has some that work great for $15. They make an incredible difference!

Cabela's -- MaxxDry Grip-On™ Ice Cleats

It looks as if they are inspecting something/someone in the back seat. Maybe someone was down there on the floor hiding from a checkpoint?

Isn't it assault to point a firearm at a person without the appropriate justification? I certainly hope the officers had a reason to have a rifle out and pointed in the vehicle.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I see a few questions,

Notice the officer on the left has his rifle out, but officer on the right has his pistol holstered. I would expect if there was a serious threat, the left officer would have his gun drawn. (It is possible he has a rifle too- can't see)

These officers need some ice cleats on their boots. Notice the slick conditions and hand leaning on the car. Cabelas has some that work great for $15. They make an incredible difference!

Cabela's -- MaxxDry Grip-On™ Ice Cleats

It looks as if they are inspecting something/someone in the back seat. Maybe someone was down there on the floor hiding from a checkpoint?

Isn't it assault to point a firearm at a person without the appropriate justification? I certainly hope the officers had a reason to have a rifle out and pointed in the vehicle.
    Look closely, the officers right hand is behind the drivers side passengers window and his body and rifle are slightly behind the passenger door as he looks in the passenger window.

Also look at where his feet are, it's not possible for him to be at the drivers window looking at all the body and foot placements.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    Where did you get yours?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    From the position of the Trooper's right hand, it doesn't appear that the weapon is pointing at the woman but at the rear seat and I can't tell if his finger is actually on the trigger either.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I don't know, I blew it up to 500% in photoshop and it appears his finger is on the trigger, it's certianly not high indexed above the trigger guard.

As to what he's doing there, who knows. He's way to close if he's the cover officer and contact oficers usually dont carry long arms.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

I blew it up and lightened the area of his hand. Not much to work with as far as pixels, but here goes:

Given the change in shading on his finger and the close proximity to the magazine, looks to me like he has his finger crooked in front of the trigger guard. It's darn sure not clear enough to call it bad gun handling.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I am usually the first one to cry foul when an officer unnecessary risks a person life. But, from this picture, it appears the officer is looking into her back seat area. She seems to be looking at him in her rear view mirror.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links