Calhoun County Dep.Confronted with gun

This is a discussion on Calhoun County Dep.Confronted with gun within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This deputy was told he did not have a gun watch what happens when he asks him to exit vehicle! Video underscores dangers for deputies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calhoun County Dep.Confronted with gun

This deputy was told he did not have a gun watch what happens when he asks him to exit vehicle!

Video underscores dangers for deputies | WOOD TV8
    Last edited by seanhodges; January 27th, 2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    wow...that LEO is one lucky man. I feel sorry for the driver's family after the outcome.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

That citizen went off the deep end pretty quickly. It doesn't sound like he had any major reasons for such a permanent solution...bad situation for all concerned.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Guys, I know its always a different story when a loaded gun is pointed at you, but does anyone seem to think there WAS a failure on this officers part??

IE, standing so close to the suspect as he was getting out, & SEEMS like he had time to draw when the bg had put his gun up & pulled his blazer over it... anyone notice that, or am I being too critical????

Quote Originally Posted by Elitematch View Post
    Guys, I know its always a different story when a loaded gun is pointed at you, but does anyone seem to think there WAS a failure on this officers part??

IE, standing so close to the suspect as he was getting out, & SEEMS like he had time to draw when the bg had put his gun up & pulled his blazer over it... anyone notice that, or am I being too critical????
    I'm no LEO and have no idea what their normal procedures would be but I also have to wonder why the LEO didn't draw his weapon. There is over 1 full minute after the guy puts the gun behind his back and actually places his jacket over it before the tape cuts out (apparently where they edited out the actual shooting). It's hard to imagine that a trained officer couldn't have drawn his firearm from an OWB holster before the suspect could have got his from his back under his jacket. I'm really not trying to second guess the officer, just trying to understand why.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

GM
    That LEO is a very lucky man.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I saw a Car Drive by while the BG had the gun on the officer. Obviously the officer was in distress because he had his hands on his head.

Was thinking about what I would do if I had stumbled across this.

How about you guys??

If I was the Cop, I would have drawn when the BG put the gun away.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

WOW....I used to live in Battle Creek, where this took place. Emmett st. was mentioned, and that is a road in BC. I have a buddy who works EMS there too....wow what a video to watch. Prayers for the officer and his family! Glad he's safe, too bad it ended the way it did for the man.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

You know tht driver had to see tht officer with his hands in the air... I wouldv had to stop.. take him out from behind or something...

As I stated, I've never been in tht situation, but It seems tht the officer DID NOT have the mental attitude for this situation... maybe its just me...

Yes he is a very lucky guy..

A "family man" (the felon) who supposedly wanted to ensure he provided for them. And yet, he is driving on a suspended license, smoking pot, lying to an officer, carrying weapons, drawing on an officer, and ultimately kills himself to avoid the aggravation/shame/whatever of going to jail.

The scary thing is, what was going through his head isn't anywhere near as bad as it gets with some people.

You could flip a coin a thousand times and you might not come up with it landing on edge. But that's probably better odds than that deputy ever surviving such a situation again without being shot at. Talking a guy down from shooting to kill, then ending with the felon taking himself out of the picture. Gads. Lucky officer, to be sure.

Wow. I just sat here with my jaw hanging open for a few minutes, running through how I would have handled the situation, and imagining how to turn the tables on someone who had "gotten the drop" like that felon had.

From what I could understand from the video, I see why it's listed as a "training video." Seems to me that a different procedure could have been selected, given the time of night, the unknown driver prior to ID/tags being run, the smell of marijuana emanating from the car/driver, the officer being solo. Approaching while having the weapon hand managing a flashlight doesn't seem the safest approach, particularly once the smell of marijuana was detected. All in all, it seems a good way to get killed, by allowing a situation to be handled in such a relaxed manner. As the video shows, anything can happen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yea I agree..

Anyone from this area know if there has been any officer shootings in this county/surrounding areas?

I wonder if that has had a effect on lax/ relaxed training?? or was it tht this officer didn't think he was in danger??

I know here in NC there has been numerous cop shootings in the last few years, one just last week where a 13 yr old pulled a second handgun & shot a deputy in the leg, resulting in the wounded officer & his partner firing back. The kid had two handguns & 250 rounds of ammo in his bookbag.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is the fact that it would be interesting to see what would have happened the officer had drawn his weapon, Ie; would the suspect try to redraw his, or would he have surrendered??? either way, the odds of the officer getting shot drawing his weapon, I believe would be less then standing there like a sheep.

Just my opinion...

The Deputy was holding a flashlight in his gun hand flashing it inside the car as the guy got out and wasn't watching drivers hands,That is one lucky deputy,He could be dead right now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

+1 ^..... this officer needs to find a new line of work... b4 he gets killed or is the cause of a innocent getting killed..

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    All I can say is whew!! If he's not spiritual or religious, he dang well should be now.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Elitematch View Post
    +1 ^..... this officer needs to find a new line of work... b4 he gets killed or is the cause of a innocent getting killed..
    This officer probably has about 12+ years on the job and has probably made thousands of traffic stops in his career. I can speak from experience that it is very difficult to maintain maximum vigilance 8+ hours every day for years at a time. I and every cop I know has made mistakes that could have gotten us killed...it's called being human. Before you are so quick to cast aspersions on this officer's handling of the situation, maybe you should try doing the job for awhile...otherwise it's just armchair quarterbacking
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links