LEO Question: How to become an Air Marshall?

This is a discussion on LEO Question: How to become an Air Marshall? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One thing I do know is you can pass everything,but if you can't shoot well enough your gone,and that includes requalifying,I might be wrong,but I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEO Question: How to become an Air Marshall?

One thing I do know is you can pass everything,but if you can't shoot well enough your gone,and that includes requalifying,I might be wrong,but I had heard that firearms qualification is monthly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I just applied myself, I have applied to many Federal LEO positions let me share my background on it. I have a BS Degree, Spent 4 years in the Marines in combat arms MOS and have been employed in the Pharma Industry and sales industry for 5 years as a Territory Manager. I am 34 years old and have long tried to get into Federal Law Enforcement. My Mother is an SES with the Department of Homeland Security. I have written many reports both technical and professional. I have given many public talks. I have managed 5-7 people throughout my career. The best advice I can give is to apply and pray that you meet the cut off score. PT your butt off because you want to be in the Good to Excellent rankings on the test. I shoot very well and that has never been an issue. They will teach you in the training how they want you to shoot. You only get Veterans Preference Points if you serve during certain time or have Campaign Badges. I don't qualify for even the 5 points according to OPM. I have received the letters and emails saying that I was a great candidate but not forwarded to the selecting officials. I have dealt with all kinds of people and have been told by managers that I have GREAT people skills even in hostile situations, I have also been told that I have great attention to detail. Again so far none of it has helped. Like someone said earlier set this as a long term goal and for sure apply to all the openings that you can and don't put all your eggs in one basket. As it stands now I have 10 applications to FAMS, 1 to the Secret Service and 1 to NCIS 1 application in at the DEA and praying the US Marshals open up soon. I took the FBI Phase I test a few weeks ago. I have been trying to get in since 2002 and have had no luck so far. Not to discourage anyone it is a tough and long process. I just hope that I make it in before I turn 37 that is the age cutoff. I wish him luck in his endeavors and I will say do NOT get discouraged. So far even with my contacts and my mothers position I have had no luck yet.
    Last edited by rstrainii; February 25th, 2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Had to add a few details

I know a guy that is an instructor at fletc, and he is hard on them guys, many drop out. You better be in shape first and foremost. but i will ask him about most of his students background and what it takes.My brother in law is a guard at a federal prison and after 9/11 they offered some the guards a chance to become one, and i help talk him out of it. for my sister and their familys sake he was looking at being gone alot. a very big time sacrifice, if you have a family.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    have a read,.............

How to Become an Air Marshal

'37 years of age minimum at appointment,'
    Actually that seems to be the maximum allowable entry age unless you are a veteran and meet certain criteria.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    I just applied myself, I have applied to many Federal LEO positions let me share my background on it. I have a BS Degree, Spent 4 years in the Marines in combat arms MOS and have been employed in the Pharma Industry and sales industry for 5 years as a Territory Manager. I am 34 years old and have long tried to get into Federal Law Enforcement. My Mother is an SES with the Department of Homeland Security. I have written many reports both technical and professional. I have given many public talks. I have managed 5-7 people throughout my career. The best advice I can give is to apply and pray that you meet the cut off score. PT your butt off because you want to be in the Good to Excellent rankings on the test. I shoot very well and that has never been an issue. They will teach you in the training how they want you to shoot. You only get Veterans Preference Points if you serve during certain time or have Campaign Badges. I don't qualify for even the 5 points according to OPM. I have received the letters and emails saying that I was a great candidate but not forwarded to the selecting officials. I have dealt with all kinds of people and have been told by managers that I have GREAT people skills even in hostile situations, I have also been told that I have great attention to detail. Again so far none of it has helped. Like someone said earlier set this as a long term goal and for sure apply to all the openings that you can and don't put all your eggs in one basket. As it stands now I have 10 applications to FAMS, 1 to the Secret Service and 1 to NCIS 1 application in at the DEA and praying the US Marshals open up soon. I took the FBI Phase I test a few weeks ago. I have been trying to get in since 2002 and have had no luck so far. Not to discourage anyone it is a tough and long process. I just hope that I make it in before I turn 37 that is the age cutoff. I wish him luck in his endeavors and I will say do NOT get discouraged. So far even with my contacts and my mothers position I have had no luck yet.
    Just some FYI in sorting through the whole preference Vs appointing authority issue - read it like 5 times or more, because even the feds get it wrong.

Feds Hire Vets - Veterans' Preference

FHV-Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans

FHV-How Federal Jobs are Filled

United States Department of Labor: Frequently Asked Questions - Veteran's Complaints

I was in the same boat you are in right now. I actually got into the USMS registry with the 5pt preference. The registry has been closed for some years now, and they were only taking USMS interns the last time it opened.

You are a status candidate and you should be able to apply (not get selected) for in-house vacancies. You don't get the 5pt preference if you go the VRA/VEOA way. You do get the 5pt preference for public vacancies (thats if you actually qualify for the 5pt preference). Make sure you are being turned away because there are better qualified applicants and not because the hiring agency thinks you are not status elegible - file a complaint if the latter seems to be the case.

Read my prior post for the 411 on the veteran's age cut-off.

By the way, theres still a GS0083-03 billet at Camp Lejeune.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I understand that the Air Marshal service is short these days. I have a best friend whose youngest son was an air marshal for several years, and recently resigned. He was seldom home to raise his son, and decided that was a higher priority than the job.
    He has said that his friends in the service are working all the time, and some are also leaving.

I don't think the OP will have trouble getting on in time assuming he can pass the tests.

Regards,
    Jerry

Rstrainii,
    As a 34 year old, you have two or three hiring cycles left before you'll age out, and you listed a handful of agencies with very competitive applicant pools. I recommend broadening your horizons, re the agencies you are considering. The logic being that while you may secure positions with the agencies you indicated, and I hope you do, the odds are that you will not. To hedge for that, and to increase the odds of success, get more applications into the system. The career path of spending 3-5 years in position (A) before transitioning to position (B) is well charted in the federal system, and for good reason. Who knows? Maybe you'll find a comfortable niche somewhere besides where you think you belong now? Best of luck - E
    God, country, family.

Thanks Erik,

I have applied to all that is opened so far. There are a few others that I did not list. My biggest problem is going from current income level to a lower income level with no guarantee. I have thought of Federal Police Officer positions but I would be taking a major pay cut. For 0082, 1811 series positions I could do it because of the growth. I would take a $60,000 a year pay cut (just pay not including benefits) by taking a GS-05 position. Looking at the GS levels and comparing it to non-government positions my current position as a Territory Manager is GS-11 to GS-13 based on duties. It is a dream of mine but as life dictates you have to be able to afford to live as well. I did apply to FBOP but at the GS-5 pay level I just can't make it work I could live on it but it would be real tight even with the overtime.

i would assume that having a masters would greatly improve the chances of getting hired in one of these agencies?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links