LEO Question: How to become an Air Marshall?

This is a discussion on LEO Question: How to become an Air Marshall? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, Apparently one of my cousins, soon to be finishing college, has decided he is interested in becoming an Air Marshall. Short background: he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Hi all,

Apparently one of my cousins, soon to be finishing college, has decided he is interested in becoming an Air Marshall. Short background: he has apparently shown interest in an Air Force or LEO career, and his family has a long history in the airline industry, so I guess this seems like a natural combination to him.

Anyway, there are really no LEOs in the family that I am aware of to provide advice on this. So, other than the extreme basics---go on the Fed Jobs website and apply for a position---can any of our fine Officers here provide a little info on what would be involved for somebody like him trying to get into this particular career?

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Administrator
    The shortest track is through the military. He needs to be "proven" before he'll even be considered for an air marshal job.

I have a close friend who is a marshal, and has been for about 10 years now. He was a local LEO, is a green beret and is still serving in the guard. (we were in the same unit prior to my retirement) So, Dave had a lot of experience to pull from, and he still didn't just walk into the job. Its very competitive.
    I started the process with him right before 9/11. I decided not to do it for a number of reasons, but it is a good match for him.

Anyway, if your cousin is also in Maryland, there are a number of good reserve units he could look into in that area. He could go in as an officer, do some time, and start applying. He needs to understand that this is a long term goal with a number of unwritten prerequisites and lots of hoops to jump through. It is not a job that you fill out an application and they toss you a paper hat and put in charge of the fryer that day. It might take years before he gets there. He will have a long road ahead, but it will be worth it if that is truly what he wants to do.

Oh yeah, make sure is back ground is squeeky clean.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    FOM was an Air Marshall - now he's a Federal Police Officer. From what he said, even after you get hired, finish their required training - every quarter you have to re-qual - go through a very very physically and mentally demanding regiment of tasks to keep your job. Some form of required qualifications is great but from what my friend says it’s a LOT of overkill to theirs.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    They'll consider him with just his degree. Other than that, it's just a matter of waiting for the job to open on USAJobs.gov.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

He'll get considered with a degree...but like SIXTO said experience puts him to the front of the line. I applied for US Marshal (different than FAM). I had a squeaky clean background, and expereince and just missed. Its not easy to get into. Tell him to se it as one of a list of long goals...not the ONLY goal.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tell him the job opened yesterday for several cities.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    I just thought about this, but a stint in the Coast Guard will help him out a lot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

have a read,.............

How to Become an Air Marshal

'37 years of age minimum at appointment,'
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

As with most of the higher tiered federal positions, he'll need experience in addition to his college degree. (Define experience as a minimum of 3 years, preferably 5.)

Now before folks come along and state that it is possible to get hired without it: That's the exception, and planning on being the exception isn't much of a plan.
    God, country, family.

Now is a very good time to attempt to enter that field. If he has a decent educational record, some basic personal experience as a decent human being, possesses common sense and openness to learn, and is in very good physical condition, he has a reasonable chance.

There is currently an open application on USAJobs, and he should apply soon. Then begin PTing his *** off.

While he's at it, he should apply for every other federal job that he is remotely qualified for or interested in, and go talk to the various services about going to OCS.

Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Thank you very much for the feedback, everybody. Much appreciated.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I don't know what an Air Marshall is. I'm sure you meant Air Marshal.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I just thought about this, but a stint in the Coast Guard will help him out a lot.
    Normally you will need a criminal justice law enforcement degree.

Military background has little to do with selection. The Coast Guard, now under the Dept. of Home-land Security will not ensure any candidate of preferential treatment.

Speaking a language fluently other than English will help.

Knowing people already in federal government is also a good way.

Probably not to your amazement but fact.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

A bachelors degree or higher matters. Education preference points are awarded, 5 points per degree. It doesn't matter the subject or school. (i.e. bachelors = 5, masters = 10, phd = 15 preference points.)

A military background matters. Veteran's preference points are awarded, 5 or 10 points.

Speaking a foreign language may help, but most folks hired don't.

Knowing people may help, but most folks hired don't.

Having a valuable and rare KSA (knowledge, skill or ability) may help, but most folks hired don't.

Having 5 or more years of experience may help, but many folks hired don't have it.

Having 5 or more years of industry experience may help, but many folks hired don't have it.

Actually, most of what folks think they need doesn't really matter in that most applicants are weeded from the process long before they come into play. Want a job? test well. Have preference points. Hopefully your combined points are higher than the hiring cycle's "cut-off." Don't blow your physical, pych eval, or PT test. Interview well. Pass the background. Look good to the decision makers and... if the stars align for you maybe you'll be successful.

The interview and review stages are the stages that the factors most seem to think are important come into play, if ever; most don't make it that far.

Now, that said, are there some positions where who you are, what you are, and who you know are of crucial importance to the process? Sure. Those are the rare exceptions, however, and not to be factored into the decision making plans of most people; practically anyone.
    God, country, family.

All that from an insider who has been through the process numerous times as an applicant, and following successful hire several times as someone involved in evaluating applicants.
    God, country, family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links