Sheriff's New Ride! - Page 2

Sheriff's New Ride!

This is a discussion on Sheriff's New Ride! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Its nice to see others on here who are troubled by our present system of confiscation. After these laws were first passed it was brought ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff's New Ride!

Its nice to see others on here who are troubled by our present system of confiscation. After these laws were first passed it was brought to Congress's attention and they held some hearing on it. Sadly they did not fully correct the problem.

Many people do not believe, until it is to late, how easily they can lose any "excess" cash they are traveling with even if not in possession of drugs.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Its nice to see others on here who are troubled by our present system of confiscation. After these laws were first passed it was brought to Congress's attention and they held some hearing on it. Sadly they did not fully correct the problem.

Many people do not believe, until it is to late, how easily they can lose any "excess" cash they are traveling with even if not in possession of drugs.

Michael
    Or your car or even home. No thanks. Put drug dealers in jail or in the ground, don't just take their stuff.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Keep in mind that it is not as simple as the police simply taking stuff. Its far from that.
    There are several steps that have to be taken, it has to be proven that the asset in question was obtained from illegal activity, and a court has to approve such seizure, with the owner having every chance and right to make a stand.

I've done a lot of asset seizures, and the rules and regulations are very deep and restricting as they should be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Keep in mind that it is not as simple as the police simply taking stuff. Its far from that.
    There are several steps that have to be taken, it has to be proven that the asset in question was obtained from illegal activity, and a court has to approve such seizure, with the owner having every chance and right to make a stand.

I've done a lot of asset seizures, and the rules and regulations are very deep and restricting as they should be.
    Not each jurisdiction is the same. Laws in one state can vary from laws in another.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Not each jurisdiction is the same. Laws in one state can vary from laws in another.
    Very true.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    There was an investigative news report on TV several years ago about one particular jurisdiction that would find the most minor thing wrong with you or your car even if it was untrue and confiscate the vehicle. They then required you (always an out of state citizen, usually a senior) to come to court to prove you were legal. They made a lot of confiscations permanent through intimidation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I respect LEO's and value their service, but I have a big problem with someone being able to 'profit' DIRECTLY from their duty to protect and serve.
    Should the side of the police car say "To Protect, Serve, and Profit"?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    That's funny and awesome!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I respect LEO's and value their service, but I have a big problem with someone being able to 'profit' DIRECTLY from their duty to protect and serve.
    But they are not. The car does not belong to the Sheriff or the deputy who seized it. It belongs to the county, who allocated it to the Sheriff's department.

I profit directly from making arrests, and certain types of arrests net me more cash. For example, I'll make an average of $600 extra in court time for every DUI arrest I make. Why is that? People exercising their right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    But they are not. The car does not belong to the Sheriff or the deputy who seized it. It belongs to the county, who allocated it to the Sheriff's department.

I profit directly from making arrests, and certain types of arrests net me more cash. For example, I'll make an average of $600 extra in court time for every DUI arrest I make. Why is that? People exercising their right.
    Sweet!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

That may out handle the Dodge Hemi's we have around here.
    The first two paragraphs have "flamboyant, pulsating, throaty and exotic", hmm, things MUST be chilly in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've had mixed emotions at first about this also but in the long run the public in general gets benefit of assets. When these vehicles are put into service it's one less the taxpayers need to purchase. I know around here they are used for traffic safety vehicles and as I mentioned before D.A.R.E. vehicles.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Innocent until proven guilty and reasonable doubt are at play in a criminal trial. Our founding fathers had a distrust of government and built those safeguards into our legal system. As Biker said rules are different from place to place but I'd be willing to bet that nowhere in asset seizure legislation does it have those two safeguards. I've read many news stories (I know, I know bias) that report persons being found not guilty or charges being dropped and still losing their asset. It's not right! It creates a clear conflict of interests and it circumvents the Constitutions intent.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    As a police officer and attorney, I think that the drug forfeiture laws have the potential to create serious conflicts of interest. On the surface, everyone supports them. However, in essence, they can turn a police department into a legalized gang. It's one thing for forfeited assets to go directly to the state, to be divided up and doled out by someone not involved in acquiring them. It's another for the acquiring department to benefit directly from what they seize. When these laws were first introduced, there were issues regarding safeguards or materiality levels. I recall a case involving a luxury yacht that was seized after a party because a guest had left behind a joint. I don't know whether the owner eventually got it back. If one of you transported a child's friend who happened to leave behind a remainder of a joint and this led to a seizure of your vehicle, which it could very well the way some of these laws are written, I think opinions about this practice would change quickly. Bottom line, just as police officers are generally not permitted to accept rewards for doing what they are paid to do, I don't think departments should be able to directly enrich themselves by doing what they are already budgeted to do.
    atctimmy
    Distinguished Member

Innocent until proven guilty and reasonable doubt are at play in a criminal trial. Our founding fathers had a distrust of government and built those safeguards into our legal system. As Biker said rules are different from place to place but I'd be willing to bet that nowhere in asset seizure legislation does it have those two safeguards. I've read many news stories (I know, I know bias) that report persons being found not guilty or charges being dropped and still losing their asset. It's not right! It creates a clear conflict of interests and it circumvents the Constitutions intent.

^^^YEP^^^^
    IMHO ,,, this is grandstanding by LEO. these vehicles, the ones legitimately taken from HIGH volume drug pushers should be auctioned off, and then the money used to benefit the department.
    BUT Figurative case in point;;;
    I purchase the vast majority of my vehicles used.
    What happens if I, or a member of my family gets pulled over for whatever, and vehicle gets searched, drug sniffing dog is used, for some reason, and an illegal substance is found on the vehicle, under the seat/attatched to the bottom, in a hidden spot, under the carpet,etc, etc,,etc,,,,Now they have the right to confiscate and keep my car ,when no member of my family is guilty of nothing except driving a USED car.
    I don't use drugs, my wife doesn't use drugs and YES my Kids even do not use drugs

I got no use for this!!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

This is the what asset forfeiture is all about, original intentions notwithstanding:

Blog of Rights: Official Blog of the American Civil Liberties Union Easy Money: Civil Asset Forfeiture Abuse by Police

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links