Checkpointusa.org and the law.

This is a discussion on Checkpointusa.org and the law. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please move if misplaced, or delete if inappropriate. My reason for asking and wondering is that I am not a lawyer and not fully understand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checkpointusa.org and the law.

Checkpointusa.org and the law.

Please move if misplaced, or delete if inappropriate.

My reason for asking and wondering is that I am not a lawyer and not fully understand your laws as a foreigner. And after watching some of this guys movies, I am rather surprised that this guy has not been arrested or gotten himself into more problems..

I mean..some of this has to be on the limit of something? Failure to comply? Obstruction of justice? What is the point of these checkpoints if people are just waved trough, or are he just so known to these people that they let him pass?

Again, I am not trying to attack someone here, but just get a grip on what this guys issue are? Some of the correspondence are stuck on that this guy demands to know the agents last name, rather then just answering their simple questions and or show a drivers license upon request.

Thanks for any input.
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I am getting some visa credit site.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

https://www.checkpointusa.org/

Sorry, that is what happens without enough coffee....
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    nothing illegal I saw from poking around that site.

there are also many sites that tell drivers the most common speed traps or "bear traps".

Nothing illegal about the site. It may tick off some LEO departments though.

I looked at the Roadblock Revelations link on that site and I have to admit that is a tough arguement. He has several poignant examples there of where regular law abiding citizens were cuffed, searched, and more by the border patrol.

His premise seems to be that the CBP is not actually on the border but along a US highway. I've been through some these and while I don't find them objectionable and I'm sure they have seized both drugs and illegal aliens to include terrorist it does smack of a violation of my rights to have to submit to search. I even disagree with the stop at all.

Don't get me wrong. I am adamantly againts illegal immigration and don't terrorist coming though our borders but I want to be able to go down I-10 with having to be subjected to some level of scrutiny by the feds.

One concern I have is, does it actually work? I know they rack up metrics to support their being there. But I have been through several times and not been stopped. I know that randomness and variation is a good security measure but statistically speaking they BGs could just throw hundred or thousands and even if only a few got through it's bad. I know the inverse of that argumant is everyone one that they do get is good. Hence my ambivalance.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    This is a tough issue. Agree with rolyat63, that while I want the illegal migration stopped, I also want to be able to go down I-10 without being delayed or coming under scrutiny of CBP.

Sometimes we have to choose what is more important, the marginal utility of the checkpoint at stopping illegal migrants or the broken faith with our citizenry when the boundaries of constitutional conduct are pushed.

VIP Member
    Some places, the PD publishes where they will be setting up radar for the next week. They claim it is a deterrent.

BTW -- It doesn't mean that that is the only places the radar will be set up.

BTW2 -- There are parallel stretches of of road (US 11 & Old Rt 11) about three miles from my house that have simultaneous check points after races, after football games, on New Years morning, and on occasional Saturday nights. You can count on it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I watched the TSA "investigation" this guy is an absolute jackass..What happened if a terrorist got past TSA because they were jacking with this arrogant fool..what qualifies this guy to be an "expert" on airport security...absolutely worthless and interfering with LEO's doing their job
    Led By Love Of Country

VIP Member
    What a load of poop.

We could stop illegal’s from getting into the US any time. How? Pay the Northern most Mexican drug lord 5 million a year to keep them out. For every illegal we arrest and deport we take away 10 grand from next years payment. The problem would be over in just a few weeks. Plenty would be deterred by the drug lord and any that made it through and got caught would get whacked or enslaved when they got sent back. In a very short time the risks would outweigh the rewards and they would stop coming.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    What a load of poop.

We could stop illegal’s from getting into the US any time. How? Pay the Northern most Mexican drug lord 5 million a year to keep them out. For every illegal we arrest and deport we take away 10 grand from next years payment. ....
    There is a more ethical way. Just a tad slower, but most of the problem would be over within a few months to a year.

Fine/imprison those who hire them -- even the politicians who hire nannies/house keepers.

1st offense = a fine equal to a years salary of the typical worker of the sort work the illegal was doing for each illegal employed, plus disallow all tax exemptions, credits etc on the current year's personal or business income tax (with an accompanying audit of prior years).

2nd offense = triple the fine keep the tax exemptions, credits disallowing.

3rd year a federal felony for the hiring decision maker -- triple the fine again & keep the tax exemptions, credits disallowing.

The real problem is the people & companies who out of greed hire them. Make that seriouslly illegal and the work that attrackes most illegals will disappear.

The work disappears -- they will stop coming and the illegals here will go home.

Unemployment would go down and so might the deficit ( on the extra money being used to reduce the deficit)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Right track, but one more step needed

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    There is a more ethical way. Just a tad slower, but most of the problem would be over within a few months to a year.

Fine/imprison those who hire them -- even the politicians who hire nannies/house keepers.

Unemployment would go down and so might the deficit ( on the extra money being used to reduce the deficit)
    This is the right track, but an additional step would be needed. It is common place for General Contractors to hire the lowest bidding sub. Often it is the sub who hires the illegals. The General Contractor can then pretend to have clean hands. The fine and punishment should extend upward when it can be shown that the General Contractor knew or should have known what the sub was doing.

Let me give you a hypothetical example. My dad designed and manufactured ladies blouses for a living. He had a contractor in another state doing the actual sewing of the garments and the actual shipping of the finished goods.

If dad had gone into the contractor (as he often did to make sure the work was being done correctly) and noted an illegal population of workers, he should be held responsible if he hires that contractor again--knowing what he observed.

Hiring illegals will continue until the consequences reach high enough and hit hard enough to stop it.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If dad had gone into the contractor (as he often did to make sure the work was being done correctly) and noted an illegal population of workers, he should be held responsible if he hires that contractor again--knowing what he observed.
    Do these worker have some sort of stamp on their foreheads heads that says "LEGAL" or "ILLEGAL"? How would one go about observing "an illegal population of workers"?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    That probably would work, reduce demand for their services. Make it harder to get a job once you are here and less people would come.

Here is an idea (cue laughter) Maybe we should have a huge recession in our economy with massive unemployment so it is impossible for anyone to get a job! Oh, wait. I think we already did that.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member

re: "Agave"

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Do these worker have some sort of stamp on their foreheads heads that says "LEGAL" or "ILLEGAL"? How would one go about observing "an illegal population of workers"?
    I know, you can't tell a book by the cover. But you certainly can have your suspicions, and inquire of the contractor who did the hiring if or how he verified that the employees had a right to be working here. If you get nonsense answers which seem unsatisfactory, you find a new sub-contractor.

In a way your question is a bit like asking how do you know those young people working the 10- 4:AM shift are over 18. You use your powers of observation and assessment first, and then seek verification. If you think there is illegal child labor going on, you find someone else to do the work before you get into trouble too.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    It's a lot easier to look and accurately guess an individual's age than it is to look and even guesstimate a person's alienage and immigration status. Apples and oranges.

Average Joe can't even look at most immigration documents and tell if a person is authorized to work in the United States. A friend of mine appears to be as "tonk" as they come. Guess what. He's a United States citizen. What did he do to get his citizenship? Same thing I did. Nothing.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links