The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride

This is a discussion on The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Somebody that hasn't worked in ten years,having those kinds of assets makes me wonder where he got them especially the 25,000 for the stang,And that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride

Somebody that hasn't worked in ten years,having those kinds of assets makes me wonder where he got them especially the 25,000 for the stang,And that BS about remodeling a house etc.I bet he's on SSD yet he can remodel houses and cars,He's ripping the gubment off one way or another,If he did buy a house and sell it for more money then there are taxes to be paid,bet he didn't pay any taxes on the money he supposedly made
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Buying it or not, he has a right to a trial by jury and is innocent until proven guilty. What do you think you would do in a similar situation. The police threatened to arrest his wife and also could have threatened to confiscate his home. Maybe the plea deal was his only option that made sense to him at the time.

My whole point is not whether he is innocent or guilty. My point is that the police can now use asset seizure as a threat to coerce a confession. "Sign here mister or we'll take your house." "But where will my wife live?" "Well if you sign this she'll still have a roof over her head. But if you make us take you to trial we'll put her on the street."
    No. I think that after he is convicted by a jury of his peers you can take it all. Or fine him so heavily that he has to sell everything to pay his fines. I also think looooong prison sentences are better than short ones. I think that prison time should be punitive and rough, not a cushy stay with TV and good food.

Believe me SIXTO when I say I hate criminals. Lock em up and throw away the key, but I think asset seizure circumvents the Constitution.
    He pled guilty...now he's complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Somebody that hasn't worked in ten years,having those kinds of assets makes me wonder where he got them especially the 25,000 for the stang,And that BS about remodeling a house etc.I bet he's on SSD yet he can remodel houses and cars,He's ripping the gubment off one way or another,If he did buy a house and sell it for more money then there are taxes to be paid,bet he didn't pay any taxes on the money he supposedly made
    Exactly.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Nice RIDE
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Sounds like a doper to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Having worked a drug Task Force for more than 15 years. I can tell you this guy is getting a good deal. The courts are not handing out prision sentences for Marijuana dealers & as you can see by his car and the cash on hand Crime does pay..taking the money is the only way to punish them anymore..

We recently went through a big law change in Utah because a state senators kid got caught selling dope and had his toys taken away..Now all state forfeitures go into a central fund and is given out as grants and a % goes to drug court. The local agencies cannot keep anything seized.

Just because the prosecutor (cops don't make plea deals) showed him his options and he chose to pay his way out of jail doesn't make him a victim of "the System" You play you pay..he chose his toys over his freedom.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

"So, you think it is OK to allow the criminal to profit from his crimes?"

Of course not! That's what politicians are for.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

So a twice convicted drug dealer is whining that his "work product" was seized pursuant to his latest conviction? Of course he is... They always do.

"I can tell you this guy is getting a good deal."
    I concur.
    God, country, family.

My point is that the police can now use asset seizure as a threat to coerce a confession. "Sign here mister or we'll take your house." "But where will my wife live?" "Well if you sign this she'll still have a roof over her head. But if you make us take you to trial we'll put her on the street."

And who will guard the guards?

THIS
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Can the cops seize a house that has a mortgage on it or a car that is not paid for???

We had a sheriff here who would stop cars on I 95 and if the driver had a large amount of cash the sheriff would confiscate the money but did not arrest the driver. The driver would have to go to court to get his money back. I believe the sheriff's name was Vogal. Sixto what do you think about this kind of action. Something smells bad here.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Can the cops seize a house that has a mortgage on it or a car that is not paid for???
    They can, but not worth the hassle. Unless the bank had a role in the enterprise, the gubment would then be responsible for the balance of the loan,

We had a sheriff here who would stop cars on I 95 and if the driver had a large amount of cash the sheriff would confiscate the money but did not arrest the driver. The driver would have to go to court to get his money back. I believe the sheriff's name was Vogal Sixto what do you think about this kind of action. Something smells bad here.
    It can be legal, and in rare cases appropriate. Most of the time it just looks bad.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We had a sheriff here who would stop cars on I 95 and if the driver had a large amount of cash the sheriff would confiscate the money but did not arrest the driver. The driver would have to go to court to get his money back. I believe the sheriff's name was Vogal. Sixto what do you think about this kind of action. Something smells bad here.
    This is exactly what happened to my neighbor. He had over $60,000 taken from him during a traffic stop. He was never charger, but the cash was impounded as drug money. To get his money back he would of had to post a very high bond which he did not have the money for. His lawyer also told him he would have to prove the money was not from a criminal activity.

Many people believe that that much money had to be drug money or some other criminal activity. The scary thing is though that the government did not have to prove the money was obtained illegally, it was on him to prove that it wasn't. If they can do it to him couldn't they do it to me next time i'm carrying $3000 to a gun show?

If you are not actually convicted of a crime the government should not be able to incarcerate you or take your property. Its that simple.

Michael

To me it sounds like the law is saying the guy is presumed guilty instead of the other way around. By now all our money should have the smell of drugs on it. This happened several times here. What happened to the mans rights. It's about like being held up by the sheriff and there is no body to complain to.

VIP Member
    Buying it or not, he has a right to a trial by jury and is innocent until proven guilty. What do you think you would do in a similar situation. The police threatened to arrest his wife and also could have threatened to confiscate his home. Maybe the plea deal was his only option that made sense to him at the time.

My whole point is not whether he is innocent or guilty. My point is that the police can now use asset seizure as a threat to coerce a confession. "Sign here mister or we'll take your house." "But where will my wife live?" "Well if you sign this she'll still have a roof over her head. But if you make us take you to trial we'll put her on the street."

And who will guard the guards?
    ^^^^^^^What he^^^said^^^^^^^^^^^^

These guys don't get it.
    We have entered into the Jack boot thugs era of modern times as everyone has been lulled into a sense of complacency, and no one realizes it happened.
    You people who support this activity surprise me

people have lost their property because someone they don't even know planted marijuana plants on it, and the LEO confiscate it

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them, it is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is ‘needed’ before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ interests, I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can." Barry Goldwater
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is exactly what happened to my neighbor. He had over $60,000 taken from him during a traffic stop. He was never charger, but the cash was impounded as drug money. To get his money back he would of had to post a very high bond which he did not have the money for. His lawyer also told him he would have to prove the money was not from a criminal activity.

Many people believe that that much money had to be drug money or some other criminal activity. The scary thing is though that the government did not have to prove the money was obtained illegally, it was on him to prove that it wasn't. If they can do it to him couldn't they do it to me next time i'm carrying $3000 to a gun show?

If you are not actually convicted of a crime the government should not be able to incarcerate you or take your property. Its that simple.

Michael
    1st Question. Why would anyone have $60000.00 in cash on there person? Smells funny, Incidents like this typically point to circumventing Government tracking of large sums of money. Also IF and thats a big IF he had a way to prove this there shouldn't be a reason he couldn't get his money back. FWIW, I keep my money in a bank until I need it, otherwise I use cashiers checks or wire transfers.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links