The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride

This is a discussion on The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Like it was discussed in the other thread about this car, there has to be a hearing and indisputable evidence has ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Like it was discussed in the other thread about this car, there has to be a hearing and indisputable evidence has to be shown to a judge that this car was purchased with proceeds from illegal activity.

Its not as if the sheriffs dept can walk in and take this car because they feel like it. It was also pointed out in the other thread that each state has different laws; that is true, but search and seizure laws are pretty much the same coast to coast. Procedurally they might differ, but they are all pretty much the same.
    You're not as cynical as I am, SIXTO. Bad cops, judges, etc. abuse the system everyday. (most aren't bad, but it only takes one) There are too many convicts later exonerated by suppressed evidence to not think that people's property gets seized unjustly sometimes.

But this guy is guilty as sin.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I know that its not the LEO's who make these calls... its the corrupt officials who do so. I can't tell you how many times I went in swinging on a badge judgment calls from politicians who think they know all because they won an election.

More often than not, its your elected officials that are the problem guys.
    Bingo! We have a winner!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I see he's building a Chevell for the undersheriff
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    1st Question. Why would anyone have $60000.00 in cash on there person? Smells funny, Incidents like this typically point to circumventing Government tracking of large sums of money. Also IF and thats a big IF he had a way to prove this there shouldn't be a reason he couldn't get his money back. FWIW, I keep my money in a bank until I need it, otherwise I use cashiers checks or wire transfers.
    Freedom means not giving a poop where you keep your money or how you do your banking. Last I checked freedom meant keeping 60K under my matress and driving around with it in my trunk. Freedom means I can be as stupid as I want to be! Something can be weird or "fishy as hell' and we still shouldn't have to worry about the police taking it (money that is).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I am with you Atctimmy. I can have as much cash as I want any where I want. It is nobody business.
    Semper Fi

I think it is foolish to carry around that much money but some people don't like banks and put it in their mattress or bury it in the back yard.

Ten years ago the perp had another run in with the law over his pot sales.

The arrest of the couple was two months shy of the 10-year anniversary of Tackebury’s first run-in with deputies. He was arrested at the same home Aug. 8, 1999, and faced charges of delivering over 5 kilograms of marijuana, possessing marijuana and weapons charges. Saginaw County Circuit Court records show he was later sentenced to one year and six months of probation for possessing marijuana with intent to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Freedom means not giving a poop where you keep your money or how you do your banking. Last I checked freedom meant keeping 60K under my matress and driving around with it in my trunk. Freedom means I can be as stupid as I want to be! Something can be weird or "fishy as hell' and we still shouldn't have to worry about the police taking it (money that is).
    I agree, I am the last person on earth who wants more Government intervention. My point to the post was that if he had proof and the paper trail for the money it should be no problem.

Law Enforcement has the hardest job in making decisions as to proving intent, and in using PC they siezed the funds. They may have
    possibily interupted , or prevented a terrorist plot, or a drug deal maybe he was going to give the money to his favorite charity, whatever I am sure there is a LOT more to the story.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

I think the part that circumvents the constitution is the one where a plea deal is made, trading cash and goods in exchange for walking or being charged with a lesser crime instead.
    Probably there too, but the initial part that circumvents the Constitution is the part where the Federal Gov't made drugs illegal. Sorry, nothing in the Constitution about that at all. Additionally, this is a state issue, not a federal one, so the federal Constitution doesn't even apply.

The township is violating this guy's rights for sure. It doesn't matter if we like him or not, or if we approve of his livelihood. His car was taken from him under threat of violence and without due process. The Sheriff is the criminal here and should go to prison for grand theft auto.

You shouldn't have to produce proof of where you got your cash. The government has no right to keep track of large transactions. It's no one's business but yours. Why is it that some always run to the defense of the police (or government), even when they have clearly committed a crime?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I agree, I am the last person on earth who wants more Government intervention. My point to the post was that if he had proof and the paper trail for the money it should be no problem.

Law Enforcement has the hardest job in making decisions as to proving intent, and in using PC they siezed the funds. They may have
    possibily interupted , or prevented a terrorist plot, or a drug deal maybe he was going to give the money to his favorite charity, whatever I am sure there is a LOT more to the story.
    There are several cash only businesses that something like this could happen with.

The local laundromats make a surprisingly large amount of money in a day, that has almost no paper trail until they file an I9 form during tax time.

I know one owner that easily does $10k daily between 5 of his locations, I would hate to see what happened if he, or one of his employees get pulled over on the way to the bank, and they find it.

Another example would be the hot dog vender near the Home depot by my place. He told me he does roughly 8k weekly in sales, once again all cash.

Sure you can say it is from those businesses, but it is quite hard to prove exactly without the aid of a very expensive forensic accountant.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I took $3000 cash to a gun show. I had no way of proving it was not earned illegally. As to why he had the money on him? I have no idea. I suspect it was drug money and if the government was to prove that it was I would have no problem with them seizing it. The man who had it was never charged with any crime. The money was sued by the state was the term the lawyer used.

The State did not have to prove it was money used in a drug transaction. The owner had to prove it wasn't. I do not know about you but I doubt I could prove any cash I carry on me is not drug related. Much of the money in circulation will test positive for drugs.

Michael

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links