The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride

This is a discussion on The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not a drug dealer ummm ok? Bridgeport Township man not happy with Saginaw County sheriff's new car | Saginaw News - - MLive.com...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride

The other side of the story to the Sheriff's ride

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    “I’m not no liar, I’m not no thief, I’m not no drug dealer like they have plastered all over that (expletive) car,” Tackebury said.
    Double negatives, so he's really agreeing with the Sheriff. Ha.

He doesn't look like your regular "medicinal marijuana" user to me...not with all those plants.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

How many plants? 68? Just for personal use? Not a drug dealer? Come on man, you're killin' me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To play devils advocate he does have a cert to grow for himself...In michigan medical marijuana is legal. He may not of been a care giver. Its pretty much a technicality that they got him on.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

growing it for 10 years?....questionable income/bank statements?.....uh huh. He decided to plea instead of taking it to trial. Sorry, not buying it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    growing it for 10 years?....questionable income/bank statements?.....uh huh. He decided to plea instead of taking it to trial. Sorry, not buying it.
    Buying it or not, he has a right to a trial by jury and is innocent until proven guilty. What do you think you would do in a similar situation. The police threatened to arrest his wife and also could have threatened to confiscate his home. Maybe the plea deal was his only option that made sense to him at the time.

My whole point is not whether he is innocent or guilty. My point is that the police can now use asset seizure as a threat to coerce a confession. "Sign here mister or we'll take your house." "But where will my wife live?" "Well if you sign this she'll still have a roof over her head. But if you make us take you to trial we'll put her on the street."

And who will guard the guards?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Like it was discussed in the other thread about this car, there has to be a hearing and indisputable evidence has to be shown to a judge that this car was purchased with proceeds from illegal activity.

Its not as if the sheriffs dept can walk in and take this car because they feel like it. It was also pointed out in the other thread that each state has different laws; that is true, but search and seizure laws are pretty much the same coast to coast. Procedurally they might differ, but they are all pretty much the same.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well folks you play with poop you get some on your fingers

I wanna feel sorry for this guy and think he is telling the truth. But when you are growing that much Marijuana and have that much cash on hand that cannot be reliably traced....it's not too hard to prove to a judge that you are a drug dealer. He appears that he has been thumbing his nose at LE for years about the whole marijuana issue. He pretty much brought it on himself. The worst thing is if he is telling the truth...his family and kids are the ones suffering, all because he thought he had to have some marijuana.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    To play devils advocate he does have a cert to grow for himself...In michigan medical marijuana is legal. He may not of been a care giver. Its pretty much a technicality that they got him on.
    Are you kidding me, he did not have the cert at the time of arrest, he almost had it, thats like someone who gets caught with a concealed weapon and saying " I applied for my CCW permit but haven't gotten it yet"
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member
    For the record I think the guy is a loser. I just don't agree with asset seizure. I also don't believe these police did anything wrong. My point is to illustrate the conflict of interests and potentail for abuse.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    For the record I think the guy is a loser. I just don't agree with asset seizure. I also don't believe these police did anything wrong. My point is to illustrate the conflict of interests and potentail for abuse.
    So, you think it is OK to allow the criminal to profit from his crimes?

I think I already know your answer, you are a reasonable guy... so what do you suggest they do?

And yes, the potential for abuse is always there. That is why there are checks and balances built into the system. With that said, I have seen one circumstance that the system was abused; but it was the guy's own fault for letting his cash go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    So, you think it is OK to allow the criminal to profit from his crimes?
    No. I think that after he is convicted by a jury of his peers you can take it all. Or fine him so heavily that he has to sell everything to pay his fines. I also think looooong prison sentences are better than short ones. I think that prison time should be punitive and rough, not a cushy stay with TV and good food.

Believe me SIXTO when I say I hate criminals. Lock em up and throw away the key, but I think asset seizure circumvents the Constitution.

Administrator
    I think the part that circumvents the constitution is the one where a plea deal is made, trading cash and goods in exchange for walking or being charged with a lesser crime instead.
    Typically, a conviction is needed before any of this would happen, but its a civil process, and its not supposed to be tied to the criminal part in this. That is why it is possible for stuff like this to happen without a criminal conviction.

Here is a true story that ticks me off still, several years later.
    I was the investigating agent on a drug trafficking case. It wasn't a big case at all, but they were trafficking in drugs. After a very short investigation, the order came down to get a search warrant and raid the home of the leader. I protested, complained for hours in the Chiefs office, but to no avail. He wanted it done now.
    So, we hit the house... it was the wrong time and I knew it. We didn't find much, but we did find some drugs... just not what we could have had we waited.
    Then it hit me; the bosses wanted to hit the house not to seize drugs and shut down the operation, but they wanted the cash. I'm OK with that to a point; lets have a solid case first. We didn't yet. And I made the mistake of sharing the knowledge that there was a huge amount of cash sitting in the house.

We ended up seizing tens of thousands of dollars. The only reason that flew was the dealer signed it over to keep himself out of criminal court. That is wrong. Either we have a solid criminal case or we don't.

So, guess what our dealer is still doing today. Yup, dealing drugs. It's only a matter of time before the corrupt politicians in that city force another raid at their cash cow. And that just ticks me off.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 8th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    My friend I think you hit the nail on the head. Nice post. I know that 97% of the time police and other Government agencies are doing the right thing and fighting the good fight. It's the 3% of times like the one you just posted that things are bad. Now that "just ticks me off."

Administrator
    I know that its not the LEO's who make these calls... its the corrupt officials who do so. I can't tell you how many times I went in swinging on a badge judgment calls from politicians who think they know all because they won an election.

More often than not, its your elected officials that are the problem guys.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links