King, NC, and "martial law?"

This is a discussion on King, NC, and "martial law?" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This could go in the news threads or the 2A threads, but this works. Seems like NC law is a bit unconstitutional in some areas. ...

Thread: King, NC, and "martial law?"

This could go in the news threads or the 2A threads, but this works. Seems like NC law is a bit unconstitutional in some areas. Anyone live in NC and can comment on this?

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban - Winston-Salem News Story - WXII The Triad

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    Anyone live in NC and can comment on this?
    Lots of comments in the multiple threads that are already running.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Sorry...did a search for "King, NC" and nothing came back. Mods feel free to delete thread.

VIP Member
    Search the words presented in the link and it will bring up the other three closed threads. The string I used was "Residents fumed over".

I have closed the other repost of this link. The original was closed because members couldn't keep it on topic and strayed into illegal activity discussion. This thread will be monitored by staff and closed if it does not stay within the forum rules.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I think this is the law they are using. It's ridiculous and probably pre dates CC like most of out silly gun laws. Though OC has been here since NC became a state. But for a pretty pro gun state we can't seem to elect pro gun officials to change them.

14‑288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.
    (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:
    (1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or
    (2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.
    (b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.
    (c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    CC is illegal during a state of emergency. Period.

Does it suck, yeah. Is it likely to change? Not really.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try though.

A state of emergency is pretty much martial law except with regard to which legal system you fall under.

Martial Law: Military courts
    State of Emergency: Civilian.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

was carrying in King during SOE...

I was concealed carrying (with CCW of course)in King last weekend not knowing there was a declared state of emergency. My cable was out where I live so no tv or internet, thus no knowledge of declaration. I knew, however, that I wanted some chicken wings for the Super Bowl as I felt sure my cable would be back on and there are some good wings in King. Riding up US 52 I did notice a lot of trees down and I mentioned to my wife that the first place we found that had wings and power was going to be the stopping place. We found the KFC open, went inside and ordered the wings. No sign on the door advising of the SOE, no police car stopping us and advising us...I didn't know I had broken the law until two days later.

For someone who tries to obey the law, this was a strange feeling. What could have been done differently, I don't know. I guess I've always imagined a State of Emergency would include roads being blocked, lights flashing...something advising the general public who might not have power or cable who just didn't know. This whole thing was not handled well IMHO. Not bashing LEO here, just the lack of vision of the officials who made this decision.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Links